Put mod in - now main quest is screwed? Help?

Snowsong

I'm on my third character. I've never had a problem with the main quest before. I decided to put in a few mods and start a new character. Now the main quest is completely stopped because some dialogue won't trigger. I took the mods out again, but problem did not go away. Please help.

Here's where I'm stuck: I just got the Dragonstone from Bleak Falls Barrow, and gave it to the wizard in Dragonsreach. He then delivered the dialogue he was supposed to: "You're a cut above the usual brutes the Jarl sends my way. Go speak to the Jarl for your reward."

I went to speak to the Jarl and NOTHING HAPPENED. The beginning of the "Dragon Rising" quest was supposed to begin, but it didn't. I talked to his steward and nothing happened there, either. Someone is supposed to come by to say a dragon has been sighted nearby. This didn't happen. When I talk to the Jarl and steward I don't get the dialogue that's supposed to occur.

I'd installed a few mods. One of them is a mod that alters the Breezehome house. That MIGHT have been the culprit. (Umm .. I guess.) I also installed an unlimited amulets and rings mod, and mods that made potions and ingredients lightweight. Anyway, I'd like to be able to summon up another Dragonstone to see if I can get the dialogue to trigger now. Does anyone know how to do this?

I can't go back to an earlier save. There isn't one.

If anyone knows how I can get this dialogue/quest to trigger, PLEASE let me know. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Snowsong

Dude, none of those mods even touch a single quest.

Even if they touched a quest (again, hardly necessary for messing up with interior cells n objects), why they would modify the main quest? Think bout it for a sec before pointing fingers to mods or modders (or before making "U BROKE MY GAME" comments on Nexus files for that matter).

Go to the UESP. Search for Dragon Stone. And SAVE before messing with that.

@ eltuca

You have forgotten about mod dirt. None of the mods that have been discussed would be likely to intentionally change parts of the main quest, and accidentally add bugs. But in these early days, there is not a lot of information about modcleaning and not a lot of software options for doing it. One of these mods very well could have been dirty and broken the main quest.

It is not productive for people to fly off the handle and get mad at others for reporting bugs. How are the bugs ever going to get fixed if people get attacked for reporting them?

@ eltuca

El Tucu. With U.

You have forgotten about mod dirt. None of the mods that have been discussed would be likely to intentionally change parts of the main quest, and accidentally add bugs.
Thats exactly my point.
But in these early days, there is not a lot of information about modcleaning and not a lot of software options for doing it. One of these mods very well could have been dirty and broken the main quest.
Tell me one example of how one modder could enter the quest menu thingy, change the scripts, save it, all while trying to just move a static in the render window, and of course, thinking that changing the quests scripts would not do anything to the game, and release the mod.

It is not productive for people to fly off the handle and get mad at others for reporting bugs. How are the bugs ever going to get fixed if people get attacked for reporting them?
"Put mod in now my game is broken" its exaclty the line of thought that any mod user should avoid.

Besides, im not attacking anyone. I worded it exactly as i meant it. "Think about it for a second" thats all i ask. And i think that is way more productive than blaming the first thing that comes to mind.

Bah, i dun want to enter in a discussion bout this:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Dragon_Rising Here is the quest information (stages, ID, etc).

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Bleak_Falls_Barrow_(quest) The previous quest just in case.

Here is the page bout the dragonstone http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Dragonstone It doesnt says the ID, so i searched it in the Creation Kit, its RefID is 000DF202.

I dont think it will trigger the dialogue again, somewhere in the Creation Kit wiki i read that quest stages cannot happen again, once they happen, you cant trigger them again, not even with setstage in console.

So probably you'd need to set quest stages manually and see if the dragon appears in the watch tower.

Edited by eltucu

I can't go back to an earlier save. There isn't one.

There's your problem right there. Dude. You're playing a Bethesda game, which are notorious for being packed to overflowing with bugs such that you would have to be nuts not to save at least once every thirty seconds. :sweat:

I love that I just got attacked for no real reason whatsoever. :(

What I SHOULD have said in my original post is, yes, there is a chance the glitch happened randomly and had nothing to do with the mods I'd put in. I thought this would be obvious to everyone so I didn't actually write it down, and as a result, became troll bait. The reason I thought it was mod-related was because I'd played through that quest-line twice before and never had the glitch, but after I put in several mods, suddenly the glitch happened. Yes, it COULD have nothing to do the mods. Of course. Perhaps it was random and was unrelated to mods.

In retrospect, I realize I should have recognized that there was a glitch (it wasn't immediately apparent to me at the time) and reloaded my game without saving. I saved the game and was playing it for a good long while afterward before I realized, "oh, crap ... I think there was a glitch somewhere ..."

Thanks and big hugs to everyone who actually made a helpful comment. I think the mods can delete this thread, now. :)

Edited by Snowsong

I love that I just got attacked for no real reason whatsoever. :(

Sorry bout that, didnt mean to attack anyone. Here's all the information you requested
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Dragon_Rising Here is the quest information (stages, ID, etc).

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Bleak_Falls_Barrow_(quest) The previous quest just in case.

Here is the page bout the dragonstone http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Dragonstone It doesnt says the ID, so i searched it in the Creation Kit, its RefID is 000DF202.

I dont think it will trigger the dialogue again, somewhere in the Creation Kit wiki i read that quest stages cannot happen again, once they happen, you cant trigger them again, not even with setstage in console.

So probably you'd need to set quest stages manually and see if the dragon appears in the watch tower.