Put mod in - now main quest is screwed? Help?

Snowsong

I am having the exact same problem as OP. I've ran several characters past this point with no problems. All with varying mods installed. Today I added the mods Davahkiin hideout 0.6, smithing perks overhaul 1.11, weapons and armor fixes 1.20, and complete crafting overhaul 1.08(not saying these are the problem, just putting it up for informational purposes). This problem appeared. I even started a new game from scratch and got stuck at the exact same point. I saved just before turning in the Dragon Stone to the wizard and tried several fixes including turning off all mods and SKSE and competing the quest. I tried every setstage listed in the wiki. I tried turning in the quest and spawning Irileth with console. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

This thread is full of misunderstanding and jumped out conclusions indeed. First, mods can break quests indeed in many ways. It has happened before and will happen again until the game mechanics is totally understood and the modder is careful doing certain things.

But is indeed wrong to point the fingers before understanding what is happening and finding "really" the causes of the issue.

One example of a mod that "should" not break things but inadvertently did it, and is being "fixed" already is that case that has been reported involving Wars in Skyrim and the Golden Dragon Claw quest. The issue seems to have been found some spawned NPCs did it already dead or died in the process... unfortunate, but happens. Mods have been breaking things since forever and most get fixed quickly, sometimes such things seemingly unrelated conspire against the modder and the user. Sometimes the issues are minor and sometimes even create funny/hilarious glitches, sometimes they are serious and can invalidate a savegame.

Cell edition, leveled lists, spawning points has been among the most conflicting cases and game breaking issues since Morrowind times, it is not different now. Soon enough will be popping mods needing third party patches to make them work together, some will become mutually exclusive, some will have only a few things lost depending on the load order. It's part of the process, it is almost unavoidable in such a big base as that of Bethesda games. Eventually the problems will be corrected but for now the user MUST be aware the problems exist and can affect him/her when installing mods. Above all must believe the community is there to help the best possible.

Know there are risks, the SW dream of click and play soon enough will show the nightmare face... at least the community will hopefully be there to help, but the user must learn to help him/herself too.

Nosisab it is you who are jumping to conclusions imo. I'm not saying those mods broke anything and I don't see anyone pointing fingers. I'm saying I'm having a problem, here's the information I have to go on, can anyone help? I've been playing heavily modded versions of the these games since Morrowind as well. I don't expect an error free experience or immediate solutions to every problem. I know that even the most skilled, meticulous, well intentioned modder can affect the game in unforeseen ways. Often, it is bug on Bethesda's end that causes it the problems. I'm grateful for all the time and effort that goes into these creations. I simply want to see if anyone has any information or a workaround for this particular issue. I've been searching for hours and I've seen this same question posted in different places and no answers. I thought this would be a good place to seek help. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Nosisab it is you who are jumping to conclusions imo. I'm not saying those mods broke anything and I don't see anyone pointing fingers. I'm saying I'm having a problem, here's the information I have to go on, can anyone help? I've been playing heavily modded versions of the these games since Morrowind as well. I don't expect an error free experience or immediate solutions to every problem. I know that even the most skilled, meticulous, well intentioned modder can affect the game in unforeseen ways. Often, it is bug on Bethesda's end that causes it the problems. I'm grateful for all the time and effort that goes into these creations. I simply want to see if anyone has any information or a workaround for this particular issue. I've been searching for hours and I've seen this same question posted in different places and no answers. I thought this would be a good place to seek help. Sorry if I offended anyone.

I did not address you specifically, Madrix, Neither anyone specifically too nor blaming modders or mods also. It's only years of experience shows the risks exist, bugs happens, they almost always are fixed quickly, but again, the risks are real although should not prevent trying and having as much fun as possible from the mods.

Well, what I'm saying is I tried being as general as possible and even particular examples are only this, examples of countless situations we (the community as a whole) have been encountering all the time and someway finding the best solution when one is possible at all.

Of course is not always a mod problem, sometimes is indeed a game's bug, sometimes a mod may expose a vanilla bug, sometimes is a mod's bug... each case is particular in a way, and that is the point actually.

Edited by nosisab

I am having the exact same problem as OP. I've ran several characters past this point with no problems. All with varying mods installed. Today I added the mods Davahkiin hideout 0.6, smithing perks overhaul 1.11, weapons and armor fixes 1.20, and complete crafting overhaul 1.08(not saying these are the problem, just putting it up for informational purposes). This problem appeared. I even started a new game from scratch and got stuck at the exact same point.

I have all of the Headbom's mods (Smithing Perks Overhaul, Weapon and armor fixes and complete crafting overhaul) and i just tested that part of the MQ. It proceded well, Delphine was talking with Farengar, then i returned the stone, then the jarl's bodyguard appeared, we all went to Balgruuf to talk bout the dragon, and then he sent me to the watchtower.

Did you followed Headbom's recommended load order?

* [Other mods concerning items/recipes/perks]

* Smithing Perks Overhaul - Balanced Version.esp

* Weapons and Armor Fixes.esp

* Weapons and Armor Fixes - Hacks.esp

* Complete Crafting Overhaul.esp

Edited by eltucu

• 9 months later...