How often do you crash?

SkiLodge

Hey guys,

I've been modding oblivion for a little while now and finally think I have the game to where I want it. I am running just over 100 mods, game seems fairly stable and on my latest playthough I have only had a few crashes in 10 hours of play time. However, my game does seem to crash if I reload the same save over and over again in quick succession (like when save scumming). My question to all of you is how often does your oblivion crash? Has anyone gotten their oblivion to the point where it is completely stable?

I agree, that exiting to the desktop before continuing is a good thing.

Also know that quicksave is a known corrupter of save files. Use the save from the Esc menu and don't overwrite saves. When your saves folder starts getting fuller than you'd like either backup to a different folder or delete unwanted saves.

I just recently made a fairly major hardware upgrade to my machine (went from 2GB RAM to 8GB and from a video card with 896MB VRAM to one with 4GB). Many of my mods are the type that change gameplay (i.e. use scripts) and I have extensively Blockheaded over 200 NPCs. With my old machine I was lucky to get 15 or 20 minutes before I started seeing the black missing texture error (I'd monitor VRAM usage in my Logitech keyboard display and exit/restart when I saw I was getting over 800MB used).

With the new components that problem has become a thing of the past. Now I'll crash after between 45 minutes and somewhat over an hour, depending on what I've been doing in game. Note that I have made settings to some mods that aren't recommended by the mod author, which doesn't add to the game's stability.

"Has anyone gotten their oblivion to the point where it is completely stable?"

IMO it's impossible to get Oblivion completely stable on any Windows platform after XP. Ours is pretty close, on Win 7.1, but we run just a handful of minor mods and no script extenders. No crashes during gameplay regardless of session length, but once in a while it still crashes when exiting. These exit crashes were reduced 95+% by restoring the default values of a few oblivion.ini variables, most notably iPreloadSizeLimit.

Too oftenly these times.

Sometimes my screen turns black and i need to restart the PC because of a graphics card driver.

How old is your savegame? We also had this but the problem was Abomb. Check for it if your black screens happen more when moving through doors or to new areas, or if you start seeing wonky animation behavior (like fireplaces and torches that don't flicker etc).

Too oftenly these times.

Sometimes my screen turns black and i need to restart the PC because of a graphics card driver.

How old is your savegame? We also had this but the problem was Abomb. Check for it if your black screens happen more when moving through doors or to new areas, or if you start seeing wonky animation behavior (like fireplaces and torches that don't flicker etc).

I know how to fix the stuck animations and I updated my graphics drivers. I'll check if the problem remains.

I appreciate your helpfulness anyway. :-)