Trump and Comey

TheMastersSon

59% of Americans believe it was likely that James Comey was fired to obstruct investigations into Trump's ties with Russia, and the latter's possible illegal involvement in our last elections:

http://www.pollingreport.com/trump_ad.htm

So how long until impeachment proceedings begin? I'm not even sure what Trump thinks will be accomplished with a new FBI director. He may be commander in chief of our armed forces but he's jack squat with our Congress and domestic police, including the FBI, and personnel changes fortunately have no bearing whatsoever on our laws. Trump doesn't have the power to stop internal investigations by either that agency or Congress. Ask Richard Nixon or Ronald Reagan or Bill Clinton etc for that matter.

Edited by TheMastersSon

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trump has admitted to firing Comey to slow the Russian investigation but this came after Trump's attempts to buddy up to Comey by inviting him to dinner and asking several times if he was going to be loyal to him.Comey told Trump he would be honest with him but he wasn't in a position to pledge loyalty.

Comey told friends that he was very uncomfortable with Trump and he wanted no relationship with him.Hehe..

I think the man-child just got pissed and fired him.

Comey is going to testify in a public hearing before the U.S. Senate Intelligence Committee after Memorial Day,should be interesting. :wink:

Edited by gandalftw

"Trump has admitted to firing Comey to slow the Russian investigation"

He did? When?

Admission of just that much is grounds for impeachment. It's called obstruction of justice and it's the specific planned charge that drove Nixon to resignation.

Edited by TheMastersSon

He did? When?

Admission of just that much is grounds for impeachment. It's called obstruction of justice and it's the specific planned charge that drove Nixon to resignation.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/19/us/politics/trump-russia-comey.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=span-ab-top-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=1

At the Russian meeting in the Oval Office Trump told the Russians:

“I just fired the head of the F.B.I. He was crazy, a real nut job,” Mr. Trump said, according to the document, which was read to The New York Times by an American official. “I faced great pressure because of Russia. That’s taken off.”

Mr. Trump added, “I’m not under investigation.”

The White House document that contained Mr. Trump’s comments was based on notes taken from inside the Oval Office and has been circulated as the official account of the meeting. One official read quotations to The Times, and a second official confirmed the broad outlines of the discussion.

Of course Trump's cronies are all saying,that may be what he said but that's not what he meant. :rolleyes:

He did? When?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/19/us/politics/trump-russia-comey.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=span-ab-top-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=1

At the Russian meeting in the Oval Office Trump told the Russians:

“I just fired the head of the F.B.I. He was crazy, a real nut job,” Mr. Trump said, according to the document, which was read to The New York Times by an American official. “I faced great pressure because of Russia. That’s taken off.”

Mr. Trump added, “I’m not under investigation.”

The White House document that contained Mr. Trump’s comments was based on notes taken from inside the Oval Office and has been circulated as the official account of the meeting. One official read quotations to The Times, and a second official confirmed the broad outlines of the discussion.

Of course Trump's cronies are all saying,that may be what he said but that's not what he meant. :rolleyes:

Well, considering Comey decided that Hilary violating numerous laws, not to mention federal policies, with her private email server, and Comey found "no reason to indite"...... I would tend to agree with The Donald's impression that he was 'crazy'.

Well, considering Comey decided that Hilary violating numerous laws, not to mention federal policies, with her private email server, and Comey found "no reason to indite"...... I would tend to agree with The Donald's impression that he was 'crazy'.

I know you're a pretend scientist,are you a pretend lawyer too? :p

"Although there is evidence of potential violations of the statutes regarding the handling of classified information, our judgment is that no reasonable prosecutor would bring such a case," Comey said, saying the FBI could not find a single case in which a person was charged with crimes for similar actions.

He also emphatically stated that the investigation was conducted fairly and unbiased.

"This investigation was done honestly, competently and independently. No outside influence of any kind was brought to bear," Comey said. "Opinions are irrelevant. ... We did our investigation the right way. Only facts matter, and the FBI found them here in an entirely apolitical and professional way."

Now leave me be i'm trying to "have a good life" :rolleyes:

@all

this is a fascinating topic of discussion,

it's always so interesting to see people take an interest in geopolitical macro-futures, metanarratives and statescraft.

Toynbee-Huntington, olduvai peak civilizational resources, Seneca Cliffs and all that.

we'd do well to pause and reflect momentarily on G Carlin in "It's Bad Fer Ya".

we could spend our entire academic career, many dissertations on this all,

and still be not much closer to understanding the truth of these things hehe.

one question though -

what is the Vienna Convention 1961 (77 amendment), and how does that factor in?

I know you're a pretend scientist,are you a pretend lawyer too? :tongue:

"Although there is evidence of potential violations of the statutes regarding the handling of classified information, our judgment is that no reasonable prosecutor would bring such a case," Comey said, saying the FBI could not find a single case in which a person was charged with crimes for similar actions.

He also emphatically stated that the investigation was conducted fairly and unbiased.

"This investigation was done honestly, competently and independently. No outside influence of any kind was brought to bear," Comey said. "Opinions are irrelevant. ... We did our investigation the right way. Only facts matter, and the FBI found them here in an entirely apolitical and professional way."

Now leave me be i'm trying to "have a good life" :rolleyes:

Oh, is that the liberal definition of a good life? Bury your head in the sand and deny reality? That's fine. Hope you enjoy it. :)

By the way, taking Comey at his word is pretty much like believing Nixon with his "I am not a criminal." speech, or even Slick Willy with "I did not have sex with that woman." What do you expect him to say? "Well, it's Hilary, and I know which side of the bread gets buttered, so, I am going to announce that she didn't do anything wrong, even though everyone knows that's a lie."

HeyYou, you're consistent if nothing else. Whenever you can't handle a message, you misrepresent the message and attack the messenger. Comey never said "Hillary did nothing wrong". He said, correctly, that none of her violations rose to the level of a prosecutable offense. He also said, correctly, that these same policy violations are ubiquitous among government email users, and that nobody has ever been prosecuted for them, which is also absolutely correct.

Trump's problem wasn't that Comey is a liar, it's that Comey is not a liar, and is not a party hack. He was only shred of credibility and protector of our Constitution in both the GWB and Trump administrations.