LHammonds OBMM Site Shutdown

LHammonds

EDIT: I converted the entire site from ASP to PHP and moved it from Windows to Linux. No worries, its all good, nothing to see here.

Greetings,

I am planning to shutdown my Oblivion / OBMM site or maybe convert it to a static site which would render the readme generator and OBMM Script Analyzer useless.

Is anyone here still using it or want to take over the source code to the two utilities? They were written in classic ASP for Windows IIS and an MS Access .accdb backend.

I'm getting rid of my Windows server and replacing it with a Linux server and anything written in classic ASP will not run on Apache and I have no time/plan to convert my old sites.

LHammonds

Edited by LHammonds

intriguing! does that mean you're making mods and games for other things?

I digress, turning to your awesome utilities and mods.

I've always been interested in it, and would hope you'd mosey by the Oblivion community to let them know too,

as it's a real handy framework.

if, prior to the shutdown,

would you be making it available as a community resource?

just to prevent all that awesome work and framework from becoming archaic-ware is all.

that way, if folks come up with ideas relating to it, they can continue to faff with that for as long as they keep making oblivion stuff.

usually, with this type of announcement, the mod author disappears, and then the framework relies on

the last known official instructions hehe.

thanks again LHammonds,

and I'm hoping we'll see more awesome mods from the desk of LHammonds in the future hehe.

intriguing! does that mean you're making mods and games for other things?

Mainly, I'm getting away from IIS web server. I do not develop ASP web sites anymore and if I do anything, it will be in PHP so I'm moving what I can to a Linux/PHP server and obviously that means .ASP sites I created will not work. I would have to convert the pages to static HTML to keep the existing URL links working. Even though the pages would still end in .asp, they would really just be .html or .php

would you be making it available as a community resource?

That's what I'm asking. Not sure if there is much use for it now. I might just attach the .asp pages to the official readme mod page or I might convert it to PHP but I doubt I have the time.

If someone that knows ASP and PHP wants to convert it for me, I'd certainly continue hosting it on the PHP server though.

and I'm hoping we'll see more awesome mods from the desk of LHammonds in the future

With the free time I have, I'm usually playing 7dtd on my dedicated server rather than playing around with Blender or modding. Been a long time since I touched Blender. ;-)

LHammonds

Have you thought about modding 7DTD at all, Lon?

Nothing more than .XML edits and icons. That was prior to Alpha 15 though. Once that hit, most of the changes I added were in the base game at that time.

I'm fairly content with the game (except storage options and fishing).

I have recently started a ValMod Overhaul server + Compopack and liking that gameplay so far. Very refreshing.

I doubt I will have time to try the Starvation SDX mod before Alpha 16 comes out and breaks it though.

Edited by LHammonds

Classic ASP (not ASP.NET) is being phased out if I remember correctly. This could probably be reworked to use a combo of HTML5/JavaScript (could utilize PHP/Ruby/other higher level languages if desired), and a MySQL backend (to replace the MS Access use) if it was desired to keep it in a web format.

I realized that if I take all active Oblivion modders, then selected those that know classic ASP and PHP, that would be an extremely small crowd...maybe just myself...except the active modder part.

So I'll convert all the .asp page to .php but make sure the pages still end in .asp to avoid breaking existing URL paths.

I have all my tutorials and info pages converted already but the tools have a LOT of VBscript which will be "fun" to convert.

So basically, just ignore this entire thread...these aren't the droids you are looking for...move along.

EDIT: Conversion Status

* DONE - All website .asp navigation and tutorial pages (37 files)

* DONE - OBMM Script Analyzer (500 lines)

* DONE - Readme Generator (1,100 lines)

* DONE - Moved site to new PHP server...all links continue to work (and have their .asp extension which is a lie)

Now I just need to point my domain to the new server...I think...just need to do check on a few other services I provide to make sure I got all my bases covered.

LHammonds

Edited by LHammonds

• 2 months later...