Creation Club Summer 2017

N7R

Well in the end, Modders want what users have. Money. when people see their $80 Game jumping up to $200 just to use mods I think its safe to say it will create enough ill will against greedy modders to pretty much kill off modding. Probably not completely but it will never be like it was, and I fully expect Bethesda to never release a creation kit to the public again.

And spare me quotes from their FAQ. I don't believe a word they say.

As far as Console gamers, I may mock their choice of gaming peripheral, but I don't think they should fall victim to greedy modders because they have no other option. I think they should get free mods just like PC users. Most cannot afford a PC to begin with so I am not sure they will want to spend much on CC content.

Edited by MrJoseCuervo

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in no position to judge

And that is all I need to hear to know just how little you understand the Creation Engine or the Creation kit but, Sure lets get back to topic.

Where is the proof that the Creation Club will ruin the community or even have any effect on it other then a few mods falling behind a Pay Wall?

I suspect it will have little impact on the PC players at all but, for console players it's could be a game changer. (But I know from other topics how you feel about anyone who chooses to play on a console so you don't even need to bother telling me you don't care about them!)

There isn't any proof since the CC hasn't had any measurable effect yet.

That being said basic economics will tell you that an increase in price will decrease sales of the product in question.

If we look at mods as a product/service with a current price tag of 0 dollars, and downloads as sales, then that means the CC could increase that price.

If thats the case than graphing that price increase is difficult. Its literally an asymptotic price increase as its gone from 0 to now costing something. Im not sure what kind of effect magnitude that sort of price increase can have but definitely means that less people will use mods. Considering that many of the most popular mods don't actually have that many downloads in the grand scheme of things lowering the number of people interested in modding, when it is already comparatively low, could damage the hobby irreparably. Couple this with higher quality authors focusing more on developing paid content that very few people ultimately purchase and yeah I could see a scenario where the modding community drastically contracts as people simply move on to other games.

Most of what people can even discuss right now is just theoretical though. Nothing can really be proven since the CC hasn't been rolled out yet but if you dont think less people will use mods once they are put behind a paywall than I think you're being highly optimistic. Its just a question of magnitude beyond that. Specifically how many people will no longer use mods once they are put behind a paywall?

Edited by Alexotero1219

And your scenario ignores the fact that there will still be free mods. Some modders will choose not to join the Creative Club and others just won't be accepted. Now I would 100% agree if this was forcing all mods to be behind a paywall but it's not and the idea if that being Bethesda's master plan is a joke.

And your scenario ignores the fact that there will still be free mods. Some modders will choose not to join the Creative Club and others just won't be accepted. Now I would 100% agree if this was forcing all mods to be behind a paywall but it's not and the idea if that being Bethesda's master plan is a joke.

But you are also ignoring the fact that paid for mods simply existing will have an effect on free modding.

If most/all the high quality mods end up behind a paywall then most people that don't want to pay for mods will loose interest in them as the quality of free mods potentially declines.

Fallout and skyrim modding is already in a slowdown and I don't think adding paid for mods is going to revitalize the community in any real way. If anything its going to give fatigued consumers more reason to put the games away for good.

But it all depends on how bethesda handles the CC. If they sell the kinds of things they indicated at E3 then the CC is not going to be good for anything. But if they pull teams of mod authors and outside developers together to produce far harbor and dragonborn style expansions then this could end up working out well.

Lots of misinformation in here.....

This isn't 'paid mods 2.0', this is additional DLC, created by folks you are familiar with. It is OFFICIAL content, therefore, PS/4 won't get the short end of the stick on this one. It will be content ranging from retextures, to full-blown DLC on the scale of Far harbor/Dragonborn. Mod authors have the opportunity to be "Idea men" (and women" and work with Beth devs, creating the content. Yes, you will have to buy it, just like any other official DLC. No, it isn't going to spell the end of free mods, as the number of Mod Authors (MA's) working at any given time is going to be quite limited. (single digit numbers is my guess.) Beth has no interest in killing off free mods, as THAT is where they expect to get their "3rd party devs" from. Kill off free mods, and their pool of potential MA's dries right up. That would be flat out stupid.

This isn't going to have much, if any, effect on most folks at all. Free mods will still be free, and subject to the restrictions they currently operate under. These will be OFFICIAL content, thus, bypassing the restrictions on the consoles. (aside from number of mods usable, I would suspect.)

It's additional DLC's, that's it.

This isn't 'paid mods 2.0', this is additional DLC, created by folks you are familiar with. It is OFFICIAL content, therefore, PS/4 won't get the short end of the stick on this one. It will be content ranging from retextures, to full-blown DLC on the scale of Far harbor/Dragonborn. Mod authors have the opportunity to be "Idea men" (and women" and work with Beth devs, creating the content. Yes, you will have to buy it, just like any other official DLC. No, it isn't going to spell the end of free mods, as the number of Mod Authors (MA's) working at any given time is going to be quite limited. (single digit numbers is my guess.) Beth has no interest in killing off free mods, as THAT is where they expect to get their "3rd party devs" from. Kill off free mods, and their pool of potential MA's dries right up. That would be flat out stupid.

This isn't going to have much, if any, effect on most folks at all. Free mods will still be free, and subject to the restrictions they currently operate under. These will be OFFICIAL content, thus, bypassing the restrictions on the consoles. (aside from number of mods usable, I would suspect.)

That would be nice. But during the E3 presentation I saw a sword for 150 credits, Mudcrab Armor for 500 Credits etc etc... Even the CC web page has these items. I see no indication of DLC's I think you are the one who is misinformed.

That would be nice. But during the E3 presentation I saw a sword for 150 credits, Mudcrab Armor for 500 Credits etc etc... Even the CC web page has these items. I see no indication of DLC's I think you are the one who is misinformed.

Haven't read the FAQ, have you?

Something I WOULD like to know also is: How much do credits cost? 50 for a buck? 100? 10? What?

I agree with you. I'm more worried about the long term effect, what quality these mods will be (Bethesda isn't known for its finely polished products), and the quality of mods left on the nexus. Obviously for the most part it wont change on the nexus we may loose a few good mod authors but it will for the most part stay the same.

Thats all fine and well but we have no idea yet of how much a credit is worth in real world value.

You act like the FAQ is a legally binding document. They are saying one thing and showing something else. Clearly covering their bases. The lack of information is also not a good sign. Their complete lie that these aren't paid mods also does not bode well.

I suggest you prepare for the worst, unless you fully support destroying the modding community in which case I have 3 other words for you.