Creation Club Summer 2017

N7R

I should have said "the minority that feels entitled to free mods"

the majority of gamers already have to pay for their extra content as until recently, that's all there was on consoles.

I am not saying they will serve C&Ds on F4Edit and F4SE and Nexus, et al, I am saying that with the industry going after free modding and even the use of console commands to cheat in games, once precedents are set other publishers will see how they can use them to their advantages.

Zenimax wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't look at what Take2 and Topware are doing and work out ways to increase their profits.

they could put a stop to free modding at there is nothing we can do to stop them.

we could boycott their games out of protest but seeing that PC makes up such a small percentage of the market and only a small percentage of PC users would actually go that far, it would make no difference to Zenimax.

if every PC user did boycott the next BGS title, the accounting boys will point out the cost of porting to the PC vs zero sales and recommend that they stop bothering with PC ports to save time and money which would be better spent on the console versions.

given that PS4 users are desperate for mods that add new quests and content, if Sony are happy with CC mini DLC packs then there is a market twice the size of the PC market that is desperate to pay for new content.

but you have to take into account that there is a mod limit which includes DLC as well as the 2GB limit on console mods, it won't take many free mods to stop people from being able to buy CC mini-DLCs.

CC cost Zenimax money so they will want a return on that.

Bethesda.net is a mess, costs them money and for no return.

if you were working for Zenimax, what would you do?

remember that Take2 have set a precedent that could be applied to F4SE and F4Edit and Topware have set a precedent to lock the developer tools and console commands so that they can sell cheat codes for god mode. and every free mod downloaded means a lost sale of a CC mod

How about the modders who "Feel entitled" to be paid?

Mods are free. They have been free for years. The truth is some modders are extremely butthurt that You-tubers are making a living talking about mods. You know why they make money? Because people find THEM entertaining, not the video of your mod. If anything you should be thankful they give you the exposure.

We've already proven that youtube videos do nothing for modders.

Why is it everyone EXCEPT the Mod Author can make money off their products? How is that even remotely fair?

It appears to me, that you are the one acting all entitled to the fruits of others labors.

So you are telling me if someone makes a video about their love of Pepsi they should pay Pepsi for talking about their product? Or lets make it closer to home, lets say they make a video about how great Banksy (the street artist) is. Should they pay up for discussing or critiquing the art work?

LOL that's not the way it works. Your childish jealously will destroy modding for ever.

Whaaa! It's not Fair! Well become a Youtuber that mods perhaps? Just stop whining like a little..

Edited by MrJoseCuervo

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think what he's saying is "So modders are wrong to try and sell their hard work, but youtube personalities are allowed to monetize their videos and even turn it into a job in some rare cases? Why aren't they called greedy for allowing ads to plague their work for money?"

Also, would Banksy be in the wrong if he sold reproductions and photos of his art, or even opened up a commission stall somewhere?

(And Pepsi is never called out for selling their soda, as no one in their right mind would argue that any beverage beyond water should be free)

Edited by DSPiron

So I decide I want to make this piece of art for my own enjoyment. This type of art can be copied a million times over. At the same time this art has a community built around it. A community where they all get together to share their art with people. So I share it and I start making more art because I really enjoy it. People seem to really like my art. After countless hours of making art, and man making this stuff aint easy. I say you know what. People should pay me for this stuff. I do, do a really good job and it is really hard to make. If these people think my art should stay free they are just entitled because thats how its always been. I mean look how incredible my art is, they wouldntve even had any of the art if it wasnt for me..... The company that makes the frames for my art is now charging my community for what has always has been free. They said theyll pay me hourly for me to come up with a good idea and create it. The company will get all the profit but at least I get something.

Edited by b1zz781

So I decide I want to make this piece of art for my own enjoyment. This type of art can be copied a million times over. At the same time this art has a community built around it. A community where they all get together to share their art with people. So I share it and I start making more art because I really enjoy it. People seem to really like my art. After countless hours of making art, and man making this stuff aint easy. I say you know what. People should pay me for this stuff. I do, do a really good job and it is really hard to make. If these people think my art should stay free they are just entitled because thats how its always been. I mean look how incredible my art is, they wouldntve even had any of the art if it wasnt for me..... The company that makes the frames for my art is now charging my community for what has always has been free. They said theyll pay me hourly for me to come up with a good idea and create it. The company will get all the profit but at least I get something.

I have no problem with people making money. Just not at the expense of the modding community. If Bethesda wants to hire people they should hire them as full on employees and make DLC's (Not Crab Armor and Swords) I would have no problem with that and would probably buy them like I did all of the other DLC's they released.

They are now attempting to monetize mods. You can deny it all you want but that is exactly what they are doing. I for one will never purchase another Bethesda Product until they cease and desist.

Edited by MrJoseCuervo

~

I typed the answer you'd deserve, cooled down. I'm going to nicely ask you to do the same. Regardless of how much you're going to go against CC, it won't stop happening. I suggest you take a break from nexus and mods and do something more productive and calming with your time.

I think it's safe to say we've all seen the faq, whoever decides to believe it in different degrees is another story. I'm not AS pessimistic as mr.cuervo, but I do lean in that direction with my opinion on how things will turn out. I Personally am very confident that that next ES or fallout game will not allow us the freedom of making mods that we have had since the olden days. Bethesda was a different company back then, at the least the mainstream popularity of fallout has changed things. I don't even necessarily think they're group of developers are evil or whatever, but I'd imagine Beth Softworks (different from Game Studios)or zenimax has a lot of say in these kinds of matters.

On the other hand, I did watch the newer interview with pete hines where he talked about the VR games and mentioned creation kit. I'm always skeptical and don't easily trust people that are in that position, but I was definitely surprised at how 8n touch he seemed to be with the games and actual gameplay. for what he was talking about he certainly had to have played the games or at least watched lots of actual gameplay. He got a little more specific about taking modders on as developers, and renewed a little of my faith in them on this situation.

He also said that once you get accepted, you're no longer a modder which I took to mean that you csn no longer upload free mods. if that's the case, then I imagine they will keep the free mod community around , at least until the next games come out. my worry has been that once these mods are competing with each other, zenimax would eventually shut down the nexus

Edited by wanderer3292

Well if you want to get down to it. Mods were never meant to be charged for. They were meant to be treated the same way all software was originally meant to. Free to be shared between all. People were supposed to share their creations with each other. Compete and see who could make the coolest s#*!, and payment was supposed to be the gratification from people all using your work and enjoying it. Every one knows this when they start modding. You know that there is no money to be made in this. But you can take this work you did here and use it to find a job creating things that are worth paying for. Being part of creating a complete game. Helping game devs making games we all actually enjoy. Whatever it is, you can do it. We as everyday people get screwed over everywhere in life. We already get charged more money than we should be, health insurance, disproportionate taxes, etc. Now the worst thing gaming has ever seen, microtransactions, is coming into single player rpgs. CC will contribute to paid mods as a standard, whether its 1 or 10 years from now it will happen. Tiny re textures or a weapon costing 1$-5$. Coming to completely f*#@ us in the ass, in the one place I thought we were safe. Yes, "No one has to buy them". That isnt the point. You are alienating your community for a tiny bit of profit. There are plenty of ways you can make money while doing what you love. At the same time those things dont include contributing to the worst thing gaming has ever seen and screwing a community.......

the majority of gamers already have to pay for their extra content as until recently, that's all there was on consoles.

I am not saying they will serve C&Ds on F4Edit and F4SE and Nexus, et al, I am saying that with the industry going after free modding and even the use of console commands to cheat in games, once precedents are set other publishers will see how they can use them to their advantages.

Zenimax wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't look at what Take2 and Topware are doing and work out ways to increase their profits.

they could put a stop to free modding at there is nothing we can do to stop them.

we could boycott their games out of protest but seeing that PC makes up such a small percentage of the market and only a small percentage of PC users would actually go that far, it would make no difference to Zenimax.

if every PC user did boycott the next BGS title, the accounting boys will point out the cost of porting to the PC vs zero sales and recommend that they stop bothering with PC ports to save time and money which would be better spent on the console versions.

given that PS4 users are desperate for mods that add new quests and content, if Sony are happy with CC mini DLC packs then there is a market twice the size of the PC market that is desperate to pay for new content.

but you have to take into account that there is a mod limit which includes DLC as well as the 2GB limit on console mods, it won't take many free mods to stop people from being able to buy CC mini-DLCs.

remember that Take2 have set a precedent that could be applied to F4SE and F4Edit and Topware have set a precedent to lock the developer tools and console commands so that they can sell cheat codes for god mode. and every free mod downloaded means a lost sale of a CC mod

Mods are free. They have been free for years. The truth is some modders are extremely butthurt that You-tubers are making a living talking about mods. You know why they make money? Because people find THEM entertaining, not the video of your mod. If anything you should be thankful they give you the exposure.

Why is it everyone EXCEPT the Mod Author can make money off their products? How is that even remotely fair?

It appears to me, that you are the one acting all entitled to the fruits of others labors.

So you are telling me if someone makes a video about their love of Pepsi they should pay Pepsi for talking about their product? Or lets make it closer to home, lets say they make a video about how great Banksy (the street artist) is. Should they pay up for discussing or critiquing the art work?

LOL that's not the way it works. Your childish jealously will destroy modding for ever.

Whaaa! It's not Fair! Well become a Youtuber that mods perhaps? Just stop whining like a little..

I would point out, that in each of your examples, the company/artist already sells their product. They don't give it away for free, so other folks can make money off of it. Should pepsi make their product, and then just give it away?

Maybe you should stop whining about folks actually wanting to get paid for their work. No one says that you have to buy it. No one is saying that free mods should be banned.

I know, why don't you go to GM, work at a job for several hours a day, for no pay. Then, everyone else can benefit from the fruits of your labor EXCEPT YOU. That is what you are expecting from mod authors.

Also, not all of them 'expect' to get paid. As a matter of fact, NONE of them EXPECT to get paid. A selection of them would LIKE to get paid, but, if they don't, that doesn't mean they are going to stop. And if they do get the opportunity to get paid, that doesn't mean they will stop making free mods either.

I would point out, that in each of your examples, the company/artist already sells their product. They don't give it away for free, so other folks can make money off of it. Should pepsi make their product, and then just give it away?

Maybe you should stop whining about folks actually wanting to get paid for their work. No one says that you have to buy it. No one is saying that free mods should be banned.

I know, why don't you go to GM, work at a job for several hours a day, for no pay. Then, everyone else can benefit from the fruits of your labor EXCEPT YOU. That is what you are expecting from mod authors.

Also, not all of them 'expect' to get paid. As a matter of fact, NONE of them EXPECT to get paid. A selection of them would LIKE to get paid, but, if they don't, that doesn't mean they are going to stop. And if they do get the opportunity to get paid, that doesn't mean they will stop making free mods either.

That's the thing. Its not work. You can go through this a thread and read it yourself. To Modders, Modding is their game. They want Players who play the game for entertainment to pay them for modding the game for entertainment. How does that make sense? As I have pointed out, I stepped into their world for a short time. Most modders are pretty cool, others are like Ethreon above who are so arrogant and selfish they have no problem betraying everything that made their hobby possible just because they have some sick elitist attitude.

And don't believe for a second that this Creation Cult of Modders is a done deal, we as consumers have the power to steer this ship away from the iceberg. Our buying power will ultimately decide. I suggest people un-endorse any mods by authors who support the Creation Cult and not spend a dime on Bethesda products until they cease and desist. We stopped it last time and we can this time despite the traitors in our midst.