Paid modding is back

Hexxagone

Of all the ways they could do this, this has to be one of the best and I agree with it. The average modder won't join the club since they aren't nearly good enough and modders who don't have the time to go through a full development cycle with alpha and beta deadlines, with testers from bethesda. We'll most likely see high quality DLCs with very minimal cost to the "free market" of mods we got now. It's more of an addition instead of a replacement like the old system was.

Now we don't need to deal with people taking mods off of the nexus to put them for sale, we won't have to deal with somebody stealing asset and claiming it was theirs without anybody checking up on it, we won't deal with people spending 5 minute kit bashing and wanting 50 bucks for it and we won't have to deal with a trillion and a half nude mods up for sale. The only issue I see, is that the majority of mods will probably be weapons, armor and settlement mods(for FO4). Anything bigger is going to take too much time and is going to be difficult to implement. We'll probably see a few of those expansion-level mods from a professional external team though!

This is assuming Bethesda actually got a real team working on this, and this isn't, a "fire and forget" operation with a skeleton crew working and 5 Indian guys doing customer service.

Edited by Matth85

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you look at what Bethesda has said in their FAQ and apply a little economic sense, the outcome here is likely to be that quality modders with good self discipline can make an income similar to Bethesda employees producing similar content. Personally I think that such an outcome would be a fair one.

Bethesda knows what the market will bear in terms of content prices, is committing to provide all the QA and other ancillary services that employed developers would get, and will expect a similar ROI for this content as it would get for any other content. This will militate against acceptance of minor mods as there is sure to be a significant base ramp up cost to any mod regardless of size. Bethesda's not going to take on something they think will have a unit price of twenty cents, and they're certainly not going to alienate their customer base by charging ludicrous prices just to suit modders opinions of their worrh.

Also, there is no way that Bethesda will allow modders to make 'fantasy incomes' from this scheme. To do so would be to risk losing all their own talented employees, who let's face it, through their better understanding of both the tools and Bethesda, would be in a position to make better content with lower on costs to Bethesda.

Modders will also need to be able to fit in with Bethesda's corporate disciplines and at least minimally into its professional culture. This will likely prove problematic for some.

I doubt that there are more than a few tens of modders in the Skyrim/Fallout communities who will have the requisite skills and personal qualities to be able to make a real living out of this. Quite a few more will have one or two projects in them. The rest will continue to publish on the Nexus.

Before I develop an opinion on this, I would want to know exactly what percentage of the revenue goes to the creators, and what percentage of the revenue goes to the companies. If users only purchase credits, and not the files directly, that would make it VERY easy for them to screw the creators over. Prove that you will give mod authors/creators their fair share in this and I might be on board.

Participating modders will of course be the ones to decide what is or is not fair compensation.

No, people who don`t partcipates on it can also decide what is or not fair compensation, doing anything about it is another thing, i can say what is fair or not it is my opinion, but i can,

2 of the biggest problems with the last paid mods scandal has been worked out

1. Modders getting attacked for making paid mods

2. Modders setting their own prices for anything they make.

Now we wont know who the modders are since Bethesda uploads it to their site and they dictate what price its going to be. The old Bethesda is gone.

Yeah, but it does jack s#*! about Betheseda trying to sink their grubby fingers into a community they've done little to nothing to support for a quick buck. I'm eagerly anticipating the 5$ armor reskins.

Before I develop an opinion on this, I would want to know exactly what percentage of the revenue goes to the creators, and what percentage of the revenue goes to the companies. If users only purchase credits, and not the files directly, that would make it VERY easy for them to screw the creators over. Prove that you will give mod authors/creators their fair share in this and I might be on board.

Based on the description modders are paid similar to freelancers. It sounds more like a "per development milestone" pay scheme than a "per mod sale" payscheme. I guess we'll see.

I totally stand behind modders being paid. I just don't see why Bethesda has to have a cut of their hard work. I do not believe for one minute that Bethesda will be helping the modders with their work. It will be just a platform for modders to sell their wares on. Bethesda will just sit back watching their account balance rise. It will be us, the end users who will suffer, as the pricing for mods will be higher than normal, because we will be paying both Bethesda and the modder in one sum.

People who are okay with what Bethesda are doing are all fueling the beginning of the end of free content. History has proved that the Pre-purchasing culture is now out of control, along with microtransactions. Games are cut up and sold to us in bits. It is like this, because everyone bought into it. Back in the day, you bought a game and it included everything. Then we had modding, which set us apart from console gamers. Now, PC gamers are being reined in and we are just letting them. Everyone needs to see that Creation Club is not for our benefit, or modders......it is for them and them only.

They also said in the conference that mods will be able to added or removed from playthroughs at will, directly within the game. Now I may be wrong, but doesn't mean that they will only be mods without scripts? A lot of script mods can't always be added or removed without consequences. Textures, items, etc, can be removed pretty easily. But repeatedly adding and removing scripts is a great way to mess up your game and your save file, especially when you're on a console where you don't have as many utilities.