The Creation Club - How to make it helpful to the Modding community, not destroy it

MrJoseCuervo

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

HEY CREATION CLUB.... NICE MODS PHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHAHAHAHAHAHAHahahahahahahahah

TOP WORK GUYS.

But seriously now, even a bunch of spastic monkeys could of come up a better release than that horse manuer.

My god, after 3 videos on youtube roasting the hell out of this shitty club, where even youtubers that usually praise bethesda and now ridicule it, EX: Gopther sort of supported the idea of the CC but now he is more triggered than i've ever seen him, I just cant stop laughing.

I know i should be mad that they try to pull this s*** on us, but i just cant help but feel satisfied about this outcome.

CONGRATZ BETHESDA, YOU GUYS ARE JUST FACKING EPIC! PHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhahahahahahahahahahahah :laugh:

Also to all you who so desperately defended creation club in the previous posts, Consider this Release as a FACK YOU from Bethesda :P

Edited by HeArTBeaT15

TOP WORK GUYS.

But seriously now, even a bunch of spastic monkeys could of come up a better release than that horse manuer.

My god, after 3 videos on youtube roasting the hell out of this shitty club, where even youtubers that usually praise bethesda and now ridicule it, EX: Gopther sort of supported the idea of the CC but now he is more triggered than i've ever seen him, I just cant stop laughing.

I know i should be mad that they try to pull this s*** on us, but i just cant help but feel satisfied about this outcome.

CONGRATZ BETHESDA, YOU GUYS ARE JUST FACKING EPIC! PHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhahahahahahahahahahahah :laugh:

Also to all you who so desperately defended creation club in the previous posts, Consider this Release as a FACK YOU from Bethesda :tongue:

lmao

when reality crushes expectations

TOP WORK GUYS.

Also to all you who so desperately defended creation club in the previous posts, Consider this Release as a FACK YOU from Bethesda :tongue:

lmao

when reality crushes expectations

IKR :smile:)

But to be honest it kind of scares me now.

I gave it a thought and decided to look at it from a business point of view (its kind of my job).

And this could be a very very shrewd plan, and if it is, as much as i hate them from a gamer's point of view, from a business-man's point of view i gotta give them thumbs up if it turns out to be what i think it is.

And what i think it is this:

They may have made it this bad on purpose!

If this is the case, expect to hear Bethesda closing it down soon, saying sorry, to trick us into thinking they care, while they plan to re-open it later on with a smile on their face saying this time they learned from it and all that crap.

They will re-release it, with smaller prices and better "DLC" in the beginning so they can take less flak from the gaming comunity, and later on they will go back to their money grabbing , poor quality, lying and bullshitting scheme.

Its what i'd do.

Again, they might, they might not do it, but guys honestly, speaking from experience in actual real life: COMPANIES , be it the food industry, fashion , gaming, etc. DO NOT give a single crap about giving you what you want or need, or treating you with respect, all they care about is numbers and the easiest way to raise them, with some companies caring more about image than others to a point.

Bethesda has seen mods as a easy way to earn a lot of money with a lot less investment, and they wont let it go soon, or think about quality and/or respect towards their costumers.

Only way you can change the gaming industry is to fight them with your wallets, not rant videos, petitions, etc.

And since i cant see the gaming community uniting against this cause, main problem being console users as they will bend over anytime since they dont have much of a choice, this Creation club will never go away, otherwise said..... YOU'RE FACKED! :sleep:

Edited by HeArTBeaT15

CC seem a to be a step in the right direction. Much better than previous attempts, but some suspicion/cynicism is warranted. Mostly evidenced by the credit system in place vs actual money (could be wrong as I only looked at it briefly). Assigning credit costs to mods versus actual money, is a way to both try and seperate payer from payee as much as possible, and somewhat disguise real cost. Very common (and effective) among free game apps that entice players to pay money for gems, coins, etc.

Another reason for skepticism is, there was already system and website up and running which could've easily been converted to revenue generating enterprise for Beth, mod authors and Nexus. Simply partnering with Nexus to allow better donation integration, premium member access, and site advertising it could've easily been turned into a profitable enterprise for everyone, while keeping mods much more affordable and rewarding current and past mod authors (and Nexus) for building and expanding the community. Based on Beth's own comments, the nodding community is directly responsible for significant portions of their game sales. How Beth doesn't feel a responsibility to find a way to simply reward those authors is beyond me.

Regardless I am happy to see some progress in improving mod author's options for receiving monetary rewards for their work. Though I much prefer to reward them through donations and Patreon pages.

There are several modders making pretty good money via Patreon - Gopher, for instance, makes >$3k a month. He is the exception and not the rule to be fair, but there are others making reasonable amounts too - Elianora makes >$400, the creator of 3DNPCs >$100, Kryptopyr >$100, Chesko almost $400, Icecreamassassin almost $400, Enai Siaion $300, Arthmoor almost $100.

The amount of work (in terms of production and then support) that goes into these peoples' individual mods is quite varied according to their own accounts (their comments about the work that I could find, anyway). These are also just a handful of examples I picked out knowing that the content they create was different to each other on the whole. But really, unless we did an indepth survey of almost every active mod author who has the "donate" options enabled on their mods, I don't think anyone can say whether or not donations are "working" exactly.

I don't know if anyone has ever donated to the tiny mods I've made because I link to a couple of charities and ask people to donate there if they feel like they want to, so it's rather out of my control and ability to track. Nor do I really care, anything I've made hasn't been a big project or taken up a lot of time, and I only share things I've made for myself. If someone is designing stuff because they want to attract downloads then I can see why they might be into the idea of making money from it, as it gives their time value beyond an inner feeling of happiness if their mod is a success. Also, if the thing that makes them happy is sitting at their desk doing something creative, sure it would be great to make money from that - if it could become a real income then they could do it all the time and stop having to go outside and interact with *shudder* 3D people.

Personally, I like the idea of a sort of subscription service where, for instance, the sub fee is divvied up and allocated according to downloads each month. If you wanted to sub to something like "Bethesda" or "Nexus" Premium each month and the fee was reasonable (what's reasonable these days? Say $2-5 a month?) it would eliminate some of the shitty feeling that comes with not being a gorgeous and/or charismatic person who can plug their stuff on YouTube because you'd be getting paid based on how many people decided to download your mod. Or it could be based on endorsements, so the "customer" can try out the mod and see if it's good before whacking the button, which makes the customer feel less ripped off if the mod explodes their heatsink and stabs needles into their eyeballs. People don't want to endorse? Have that little "Hey, you haven't endorsed/rejected these mods!" come up a bit more often, or introduce a cap of downloading maybe 25 mods without leaving an endorsement - after that, you can't download anything until you've endorsed or rejected at least 1-5 mods. Getting a cut of the fee if your mods are downloaded/endorsed potentially encourages authors to maintain and create more content as well.

Obviously there would need to be benefits to being a subscriber... but that could be anything from exclusive subscriber content (authors could decide whether or not they want their mods to be that) to the current benefits of being a Nexus Premium member, access to "help" channels via Discord or something where they can get some advice on making their own mods or troubleshooting game issues, access to... I don't know, themed screen shot competitions! Tthere are probably a lot of things people would enjoy as perks.

The launch of the CC as it is at the moment seems a bit embarassing and not at all delivering what they said they would - a PA skin for $5? Get out.

Of course, as PC (and even XBOX to a degree) users we could just ignore it as "something for the PlayStation."