The Creation Club - How to make it helpful to the Modding community, not destroy it

MrJoseCuervo

I personally will not be purchasing any product released by Bethesda well into its initial release and not until the Modding tools are released and I get incontrovertible evidence it will remain open and free as it always has.

This is my stance as well.

If I could suggest a 4th point for your list:

4. Bethesda have proven themselves to be unrepentant recidivists who have continually failed to address the huge gap between their stated intentions and their ability to execute

LMAO. Ain't that the truth. Who knew that beth was a company ran by politicians. :D

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally will not be purchasing any product released by Bethesda well into its initial release and not until the Modding tools are released and I get incontrovertible evidence it will remain open and free as it always has.

Started doing this with Fallout 4. Turned out to be the best decision ever since losing the rose-tinted "BGS can't do wrong" glasses I wore until TES V: Skyrim.

According to Steam, I bought Fallout 4 + DLCs during Winter Sale on January 3rd 2017 and paid about half the price I would have paid for it on release day.

1. The game ran pretty stable without any CTDs on a 7 year old PC with a 2 year old mid-level GPU. Gaming for 8 hrs straight wasn't a problem - until I reached the Mechanist's lair.

2. I got Survival Mode right out of the Box

3. There were tons of mods that fixed at least some of the major issues and oversights in the game

Regarding the original question: Good Guy Todd said that their future games will be moddable. Hooray, big deal! He did however not say anything about the changes that are most likely to come. Since Zenimax consists of greedy suits (and if they tell Todd to jump, he's going to ask "how high?"), they most likely at some point are going to try to milk modders and mod creators dry. We, as a "community", certainly are not the ones who tell them how to make things work. It's not even worth to think about it.

Long term, there is no way to make the Microtransaction Club useful to the modding community. That's also due to the fact, that modders and mod creators changed over time. A lot. And not just in a positive way.

It's been 9 years since the last 'new' TES game was released, 5 years for FO..... One would think they would at least be talking about something in those francises by this point..... They released a trailer several years ago.... and that was the last I heard of it..... since then, nary a peep out of them. Makes ya wonder.

Beth really under-leverage their IP, but when you can release multiple versions of a game that's as popular as Skyrim on multiple platforms and just keep milking the same cash cow, where's the incentive to squeeze any more content out of the IP?

I saw a graphic the other day which showed that the cash generated for Rockstar by GTA V and its various re-releases has far exceeded the cash generated by the previous two games combined. I think it's the same story for Skyrim.

Still, I think Ubisoft have been achieving one release a year recently for some of their franchises although one can't mod their games - perhaps that's an important difference.

Edited by gnarly1