What is prosperity?

kvnchrist

I know that this might seem to some to be pretty cut and dry, but I think it controls the way we see ourselves in the world around us.

IIs prosperity defined by how much material wealth and the level of personal comfort we acquire or is it the amount of friendships we have and how far our personal influence has on others?

wow, another great question kvnchrist

(you ask a lot of questions that get the ol' sawmill of the mind a goin' hehe)

this is a very WFSF futures orientated question, I must say.

a person could write a dissertation on a deceptively simple question such as this one,

and spend a lifetime in doing so,

yet be no closer to a 'definitive' answer hehe.

so as to make my future response more cogent, and more relevant,

is this in relation to "Prosperity Eschatology/Theology",

ie J Osteen, B Hinn etc

or, a socio-cultural-political or philosophical reflection on the concept of "prosperity" ,

or some personal anecdote etc ie "what is prosperity according to |an individual|"?

the answer to that, will refine my reflection on the question hehe.

thanks again kvnchrist.

|reserved for future in-depth spoiler partition reply|

Hmm.. I guess it can depend on context and even personal experience. I suppose at its most objective point it could be argued that mere survival is to be prosperous - but then even this is not a given (rich dead people for instance). Just having a quick look on the web and the definition itself mentions materialism so the word has 'loaded' (pardon the pun) connotations to start with. Computers, the internet and other advances in technology also change the premise upon which prosperity can be acquired (e.g. bitcoins, or, are facebook friends real friends?) - as is suggested in the nuances of the question.

Not entirely sure they are mutually exclusive; as in you could hate your life, but be very wealthy, have no friends, yet make big decisions everyday that affect many peoples' lives. One could easily be seen as prosperous from one perspective but not actually feel prosperous from the other. Not to mention how these things can be distorted by your surroundings in which you may think and believe you are prosperous but live in a false sense of security, or of course vice versa.

Prosperity,well i reject the idea of the control of others for i am in the mindset of no gods no masters and it saddens me to think there are those that need a leader.

In life i've been wealthy and i've been poor,wealthy meaning a period of time where i've had everything i need and poor meaning i'm living in a teepee in New Mexico.

My quality of life never changes for i find myself thoroughly engaged in both scenarios.Engagement in life,in itself,far exceeds any other quality.Engagement is happiness nothing else matters.

I think we make our own leaders as to what we admire and what is a central authority in our lives. Those that crave material wealth can and do divest themselves of the warmth of human interaction just as much as those who crave to help humanity can divest themselves of material wealth. Are not those people who these people admire as in role models not a type of leadership? As for what someone uses as a God, would that be something akin to the object of someones addiction? I am an alcholic. I've not drank in 40 some odd years, but at the height of my addiction, that next drink was all I lived for.

I know that this might seem to some to be pretty cut and dry, but I think it controls the way we see ourselves in the world around us.

IIs prosperity defined by how much material wealth and the level of personal comfort we acquire or is it the amount of friendships we have and how far our personal influence has on others?

the question is phrased too broadly:

Material wealth + comfort

-or-

friendships + influence

... is not an either/or choice, nor is it an exhaustive set of options. Wealth at the expense of comfort and influence at the expense of friendships are common counter examples. Struggle through adversity and security of loved ones are also common indicators of prosperity.

The real questions are: How much to you carer about the opinion of acquaintances and strangers, and do you take responsibility for your own actions?

Typically, carrying about the opinions of strangers to the extent that ones does not break laws is considered health/expedient; caring about close individuals to the extent that you are surrounded by happy people is also considered healthy/expedient; doing the opposite is not.

If you take responsibility for your own actions, you can pretty much do whatever makes you happy. Otherwise folks tend to be unhappy and blame "god" and just deal with things as they are.

Of course these are very broad generalizations, but you get the idea.

I would suggest work on asking you question better by examining what is important to YOU, and why. You can get hints by reading the great philosophers, but those would only be hints, the real answer comes from inside YOU.

the question is phrased too broadly:

Material wealth + comfort

-or-

friendships + influence

... is not an either/or choice, nor is it an exhaustive set of options. Wealth at the expense of comfort and influence at the expense of friendships are common counter examples. Struggle through adversity and security of loved ones are also common indicators of prosperity.

The real questions are: How much to you carer about the opinion of acquaintances and strangers, and do you take responsibility for your own actions?

Typically, carrying about the opinions of strangers to the extent that ones does not break laws is considered health/expedient; caring about close individuals to the extent that you are surrounded by happy people is also considered healthy/expedient; doing the opposite is not.

If you take responsibility for your own actions, you can pretty much do whatever makes you happy. Otherwise folks tend to be unhappy and blame "god" and just deal with things as they are.

Of course these are very broad generalizations, but you get the idea.

I would suggest work on asking you question better by examining what is important to YOU, and why. You can get hints by reading the great philosophers, but those would only be hints, the real answer comes from inside YOU.

There is a reason that I approach such ideals as this and they work out incredibly well. Some of the most exhilarating conversations I've had the pleasure to read here has happened by throwing out a general ideal that everyone has in their heart and let those people shine in their own light. More than one topic has come from the comments of others as they hash out a previous topic.

The one thing that is sorely missing in any of these forums is the what makes up the individuals behind the personalities and the avatars. The deeper you delve into what makes us the human beings we are, at our core the richer the experience.

I find that the more precise you arein your questions the easier it is for those who are inclined to do so, to assign intent behind the posts and when that happens there is a good chance it will go South from there. I have often challenged my own political ideal in these forums and those who it is inconceivable to them to do the same have almost always branded me the enemy for just bringing stuff up. I don't relish the idea of tip toeing through someone else's idealistically mine field, especially in today's political atmosphere, where Evil is not a concept, but any ideal other than one's own.

I don't know if anyone understands the method of my madness, but it has served me well and I have found several gems in the people who frequent these sites and have grown expediently because of it. I hope that I have touched those who have touched me.

Prosperity,well i reject the idea of the control of others for i am in the mindset of no gods no masters and it saddens me to think there are those that need a leader.

In life i've been wealthy and i've been poor,wealthy meaning a period of time where i've had everything i need and poor meaning i'm living in a teepee in New Mexico.

My quality of life never changes for i find myself thoroughly engaged in both scenarios.Engagement in life,in itself,far exceeds any other quality.Engagement is happiness nothing else matters.

I think we make our own leaders as to what we admire and what is a central authority in our lives. Those that crave material wealth can and do divest themselves of the warmth of human interaction just as much as those who crave to help humanity can divest themselves of material wealth. Are not those people who these people admire as in role models not a type of leadership? As for what someone uses as a God, would that be something akin to the object of someones addiction? I am an alcholic. I've not drank in 40 some odd years, but at the height of my addiction, that next drink was all I lived for.

I have folks i admire both famous and not famous but i don't follow anyone,never have.I grew up with parents that had little interest in me,i was clothed and fed very well but from the age of ten i had complete freedom,i could do whatever i wanted and go wherever i wanted,nothing was denied me.I never had to answer to authority,i was never punished nor reprimanded.My stepfather attempted to corral me a couple of times but my Mother would intervene and his efforts would be squashed.

I am a product of my upbringing, no doubt about it,but would i change anything?No,not a single thing for i'm quite happy with who i am.

I experienced a problem with alcohol and drugs as well but i got pissed off at myself and said enough,i quit my job took everything from my bank account toured the country for a year and it was a wonderful experience.I still drink whiskey today but not to excess.

leading may very well not come from a leader, nor even a living being. It could just as easily come from an advertisement, a song or even a movie that has touched you. I think the most intense way to lead someone is to influence them intermittently, but often enough to plant a seed of thought in the individuals mind. If done properly, it would give the person the idea that the thought had originated with them. one may start out as independant and open minded as they can be, but is it not the experiences they have that guide their reactions in the future and somewhat inhibit expanse into further experiences.