Help with modding Creation Club items

crawe1x

Hey guys,

So I thought I'd give the Creation Club a chance before I start kicking it.

I bought a few credits and downloaded the Handmade Shotgun, the Prototype Gauss Rifle, and the Modular Military Backpack. The new content is pretty high quality. Then again, I believe asXas, for instance, is responsible for the shotgun so of course it's going to be high quality.

The thing is, whenever I install mods into my game, I like to tweak them in FO4Edit, especially the weapons - buff damage, more rounds per magazine, etc.

But right now, I can't see how to open any of these CC files using FO4Edit. Unlike normal mods, none of them appears in my Data folder as a separate .esp plugin. All I can see are a bunch of BA2 files (including all the locked stuff that I didn't purchase). I also seem to have a new Creations folder added to my main Fallout 4 folder, which contains three MANIFEST files. Not sure what they are. I assume these are related to the three items I purchased?

So here's my question... Does anyone know how to access the data inside the new content - only the stuff I've purchased - and edit it using FO4Edit?

Edited by crawe1x

FO4Edit would have to be re-coded in a way to read these new file types, they act like a Lite version of .esps in a way they dont affect your load order but contain all the information an .esp can hold but with limitations to formids

So your pretty much unable to edit anything within these files, probably to stop you from completely ripping it and uploading it free somewhere else

Contradicts what I said above but I dont think you'll ever able to edit them

All I can see are a bunch of BA2 files (including all the locked stuff that I didn't purchase).

This statement actually makes me feel worse about the Creation Club then I already was to be honest. I suppose it's expected though.

So here's my question... Does anyone know how to access the data inside the new content - only the stuff I've purchased - and edit it using FO4Edit?

Can you not open the BA2's in any way? Though as the other poster mentioned, they are different files formats now. Plus, because they're a bit different than your normal stuff I can imagine that Bethesda wouldn't want any tools made to open these files up. Especially when you consider that, at least for now, they are already pre-downloaded on your machine from the start - just locked until you pay for them.

@Yisreguard: Okay, thanks man. It's what I feared. I gave CC a chance, but I probably won't bother with it again.

@DaddyDirection: Yep, I'm sure there is a way to open the BA2s. But when it comes to Beth games, my modding skills are pretty basic. I can handle tweaking stuff in XEdit, but that's about it.

Can you not open the BA2's in any way? Though as the other poster mentioned, they are different files formats now. Plus, because they're a bit different than your normal stuff I can imagine that Bethesda wouldn't want any tools made to open these files up. Especially when you consider that, at least for now, they are already pre-downloaded on your machine from the start - just locked until you pay for them.

If you have the creation kit go to Fallout 4/Tools/Archive2 and launch the Archive2.exe, you can use it to brows or extract any of the .ba2 archives from the vanilla game, DLC and even the CC content.

If you have the creation kit go to Fallout 4/Tools/Archive2 and launch the Archive2.exe, you can use it to brows or extract any of the .ba2 archives from the vanilla game, DLC and even the CC content.

That is very good to know for future reference. Thank you for sharing!

Yeah, have to say though, the FO4 CK keeps giving me all sorts of problems. I think this is the third time I've given it a try over the past year or so. That's why I prefer FO4Edit wherever possible. I did quite a bit of work in the Skyrim CK, which worked just fine for me. Anyway, I'll take another shot at it this weekend when I have more time to fiddle around with it. Thanks for the pointers everyone.

Edited by crawe1x

Here is what little information I've found on the new .esl files.

Light Plugin: .esl

• Light plugin (.esl) file are a new optimized file format, introduced in the 1.10 Update. They behave like a normal plugin, except for the following:
    • .esl files are read-only. Active development should be done in an normal (.esp) plugin.
    • .esl files bypass the 8-bit plugin ID limit (255).
    • .esl files have a budget of no more than 4,000 forms.
    • .esl files are treated as unique files from the .esp it was converted from, so saved games will not be compatible between them.
  • To convert a normal plugin (.esp) to a light (.esl) plugin, load your .esp file, and under File, select Convert Active File to Light Master.
  • It is good practice to run Compact Active File Form IDs to optimize your formids within the 4,000 form budget.
    • NOTE: Compacting form ids does change formids in the plugin, so only do this before converting to .esl, and not on a .esp (plugin) you plan on releasing.

I have they are read only so your not going to be able to edit them in xEdit unfortunetly.

I have started a topic on them in the Creation kit section New .esl format