So is free modding going to die?

LordTonyZ

Free modding won't die, so long as the interest to mod is there. If there is a will, there is a way. Even if Bethesda did a full 180 on the modding scene and decided to stop supporting it with tools and such, the more skilled modders will still find ways to do so. If it'll do anything, it'll just make it harder for novice modders, like myself; to make mods for their games.

And a simple tip to keep updates from breaking your script extender, simply make a copy of your .exe and keep it. When a new update rolls out you just delete the new .exe and replace it with a copy of the old one. Problem solved. Now you can update your .exe at your leisure.

I'm trying to get the facts all straight here.

So normally games with a DLC system like this will have a cloud based service and when you buy items it will send you a download file without having to update the .exe. However it seems that with creation club all files automatically get downloaded to your system.

So with each new content they add to the store it updates the .exe to force all DLC onto your harddrive thus breaking F4SE.

F4SE has to update each time but individual modders will have to update as well and if F4 gets updated weekly I don't see free mods using F4SE to be a thing anymore.

Is free modding going to die?

The day they release skimpy armor and clothing perhaps...

I get the feeling that Bethesda is gambling their future on console players, and is shifting away from PC players, who's numbers are declining.  This is a corporate decision made by accountants and business majors. It happens to every company when they get too big. Time to start buying from other developers.

Not much of a gamble, I'd almost be able to guarentee that theres lots more money to be made through console players than the pc userbase.

I agree , although if anyone knows of any similiar open world games that allow you to craft little towns throughout the well detailed world, I'd gladly buy them up.

Speaking of which, cdprojekt red is actually working on cyberpunk 2077, which looks similar to the fallout world. I wrote off the witcher 3 for a long time, and although it's a pretty linear game, the world was pretty amazing.

This topic is started over and over again. Why?

Likely because there are people that actually believe that CC is the beginning of the end for free mods, even though there isn't a single shred of proof (or even any indication on Bethesda's part - which would be akin to suicide for them) that this is the case. Also, because....

WTDnnwE.gif?noredirect

• 1 month later...

Microsoft have long term plans to kill the desktop, and have all games sold through their wall garden store. That's when free modding will stop, unless Linux clients come into play.

Microsoft have long term plans to kill the desktop, and have all games sold through their wall garden store. That's when free modding will stop, unless Linux clients come into play.

Uh huh... cause we all saw how well that worked for them the first time they tried it.

There might be an interruption for most modding sometime in October of 2077. It is expected that residents of the Bethesda Vault will be on the shortwave radio with the other vaults trying to encourage the development of mods in other vaults which the residents of Bethesda Vault can incorporate into some post-apocalyptic game set in Tamriel.