Getting Mad Sometimes Helps

Fkemman11

So I woke up this morning to find that my air-conditioner had quit working some time in the night. Now I consider myself a fix it kind of person so I took a look at it and tried to figure it out. It seemed that a stick or something had wedged its way into the fan and was blocking it. So I looked around for something I could use to try and poke it out of there. After doing that and a couple of other things I just couldn't get it to work again. So off to the store I went to buy another.

At the store on a Sunday it was hard to find anyone to help me find another air-conditioner. Finally I found someone only to be told that they had sold their last one several weeks ago and had no idea when they might get more. I live in a hot region and it really does not even begin to cool down until October or November. So I had to have a working air-conditioner and after trying to fix my old one or buy a new one-both unsuccessfully- the frustration in me was starting to build up.

I considered just ordering one online and have it delivered, but that would take several days at least. No. I needed one NOW! I went back home racking my brain trying to think how to solve this. I walked into my room and was stifled immediately by the hot, humid air and knew this could not continue.

I grabbed the air-conditioner and just beat on it and tossed it over (it is not that heavy) in complete anger thinking that I was now going to have to sit through several days of heat. You know what? IT WORKED!!! I plugged the thing back in and it hummed to life again! I didn't care if I completely destroyed it because it wasn't working anyway! In that brief moment when all reason is thrust aside and your inner animal takes over and just says damn it all to HELL!!- you can actually effect great change. Granted that could mean complete and utter disaster in some cases. But in others it is just enough to "will" things to be right again.

Now the point of my story is that I have "lost it" on many occasions and somehow- despite my lack of control- I was able to make things better. I am not advocating going everywhere and confronting every situation with the mentality of a wrecking ball. What I am saying is that it is rather healthy to put your angry face on and go kinda nuts in the face of seeming defeat or hopelessness. I wonder how mind numbing anger could help in others instances in life? Any stories or comments you would like to share? Because I am now sitting in a cool house thanks to my hot-temper. :tongue:

That my friend is called Percussive maintenance. It has it's occasional place in making things work again

Personally, I try to avoid getting angry, because it only tends to make things worse. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is that I managed to condition myself to not have nightmares. Basically, any time I woke up from a nightmare, generally caused by a monster, demon, overly frisky clown, etc. I would basically go straight back to sleep, then for a short moment, I would be dreaming lucidly, I would proceed to turn whatever fear I had into pure fury and I beat the snot out of whatever caused me ire. Eventually, I lost my ability to feel fear in my dreams, just mild discomfort, regardless if I'm physically able to fight back.

So I woke up this morning to find that my air-conditioner had quit working some time in the night. Now I consider myself a fix it kind of person so I took a look at it and tried to figure it out. It seemed that a stick or something had wedged its way into the fan and was blocking it. So I looked around for something I could use to try and poke it out of there. After doing that and a couple of other things I just couldn't get it to work again. So off to the store I went to buy another.

At the store on a Sunday it was hard to find anyone to help me find another air-conditioner. Finally I found someone only to be told that they had sold their last one several weeks ago and had no idea when they might get more. I live in a hot region and it really does not even begin to cool down until October or November. So I had to have a working air-conditioner and after trying to fix my old one or buy a new one-both unsuccessfully- the frustration in me was starting to build up.

I considered just ordering one online and have it delivered, but that would take several days at least. No. I needed one NOW! I went back home racking my brain trying to think how to solve this. I walked into my room and was stifled immediately by the hot, humid air and knew this could not continue.

I grabbed the air-conditioner and just beat on it and tossed it over (it is not that heavy) in complete anger thinking that I was now going to have to sit through several days of heat. You know what? IT WORKED!!! I plugged the thing back in and it hummed to life again! I didn't care if I completely destroyed it because it wasn't working anyway! In that brief moment when all reason is thrust aside and your inner animal takes over and just says damn it all to HELL!!- you can actually effect great change. Granted that could mean complete and utter disaster in some cases. But in others it is just enough to "will" things to be right again.

Now the point of my story is that I have "lost it" on many occasions and somehow- despite my lack of control- I was able to make things better. I am not advocating going everywhere and confronting every situation with the mentality of a wrecking ball. What I am saying is that it is rather healthy to put your angry face on and go kinda nuts in the face of seeming defeat or hopelessness. I wonder how mind numbing anger could help in others instances in life? Any stories or comments you would like to share? Because I am now sitting in a cool house thanks to my hot-temper. :tongue:

I think the operative word here is LUCKY.

What you are talking about is going to war with an inanimate object that was operational if not for something preventing it from being so. You dislodged that object, hopefully without damaging the unit. What you did was take vengeance on a situation much the same as any other war has began. The result was more beneficial to you than to your air conditioner, so therefore it was worth it. How much you lessened the life of that same unit you may well find out at even a worse time.

I once lived in a house that had no AC, what so ever. I took a box fan and placed it in the access hole to the attic, so it was pulling hot air into the attic. The outside air was pulled in through the open windows and it cooled the house considerably. You can also place regular window fans in your window and place wet strips of cloth so that the breeze blows through them and that will cool you down. You can also place a bucket of ice so that the fan blows over it.

I think the operative word here is LUCKY.

I'm a mechanic. I think I know what I'm doing... and I still say that getting mad- and violent- with "inanimate objects" sometimes helps. It is not a bad thing to lose your temper- so long as you have a bit of control over it. But thanks anyway. :smile: