New Nexus Mods design launched

Dark0ne

In response to post #54804598.

evlydia wrote: One thing I miss from the old layout is how the background image for the page would change based on the game you're searching under. For example, Oblivion showed an imperial guard to the left and a mythic dawn guy to the right. Skyrim was a Skyrim landscape with the dovahkiin, Fallout 3 was a guy in power armor. The new layout changes the color of a few buttons but that is all. It's a change that all. These changes are something that I can adapt to but I will miss the old website. It had a certain level of character and charm.

We do plan to implement this at some point. This task is made a lot more difficult, however, with our new responsive design as those same backgrounds don't work on smaller resolutions (and I don't just mean mobile). We'll take a look at that in the not too distant future.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gribbleshnibit8 has created a Stylish css userstyle to improve the "new" Nexus Mods pages.

Stylish is a browser plugin which applies user styles to specified webpages. To use, you will nee the Stylish browser extension, and the userstyle Gribbleshnibit8 created: https://userstyles.org/styles/150351/nexusmods-redesign-redesigned

To preview the changes, view the imgur album.
Most of the changes are to Mod/File pages, but there are some on the main page for a game. (Full album linked after the two marked up sample images).

Basically, he has done as much as possible to eliminate extra space. It's harder to tell, but he has also removed extra "wasted" buffer spaces and shrunk text bars to remove wasted space above/below text, such as the light grey bar up top.

Some example images that his stylish plugin does, which you can use:

Main page:

M166JiT.png

Mod page:

vq4WLSc.png

Full album:
https://imgur.com/a/eMHDr

In response to post #54790598.

Eolhin wrote: I have tried to use the new layout, but rather then taking me to the new version of the Nexus page I am on, it only takes me to the new Nexus front page, and every one of my bookmarks only take me to the old version of the sight. I have a massive tree of bookmarks for various mods, and there is no way I can hunt every one of them up on the new sight, or type in the new version of the URL for every page I want to go to. I had hopped that clicking on "View new layout" would either switch all of my nexus browsing to the new layout, or at the least switch the layout for the page that I was on, but that is not the case. It is unusable for me, the way it is currently. The few glimpses I have had of it are overly cluttered and hard to find things on, but there is no way that I can get used to the new version, when every link takes me back to the old version, and there is no way to reach the new version of a given page without manually typing in the URL, or doing very extensive searching.

You can easily reach the new version of all your bookmarked mod pages by replacing the 'www.' with 'rd.' there is no need for any extensive searching.
Edit (29/10/17 22:07): I've just seen Fhaarkas suggest a user facing a similar problem should use the re-director plugin for chrome to automatically make this change for them, at least until the transition is complete.
Edited by robertwhitenexus

In response to post #54785418. #54797758 is also a reply to the same post.

UhuruNUru wrote:

In response to post #54779548.

[email protected] wrote: I know some will consider me part of the minority here, but I'm liking the new layout. Some argue it's less efficient. I respectfully disagree. It's far more streamlined. Presents more data up front. The featured mods really "Pop" now. Keep it up guys!

I've read a good number of the comments here. The people who like the new layout are the majority. The people who don't are just very loud. And it's not like Nexus will throw away all that time and money invested in the new site just because some people don't like aspects of the new layout.

So Have I, and I get the distinct impression, most of the likes are based on looks, while most disliking it, are based on function.

Thus as I'm a contrary sort, I'll dislike it on looks, but it's exactly the same complaint, I had with the old style.

Look ar this Forum, it fills my window, pretty much all of it.

Now look at all the wasted screen area on Old Nexus Mods, about 60% of the screen is a desolate wasteland.

skQKYpr.jpg

There's a slight improvent, on new nexus Mods, only about half the screen is a desolate wasteland.

DDwLqW6.jpg

I haven't got any further in, as this was my main issue with the old site, and it's still here.

Use all the screen to show me your content, whatever size it may be.

As every element now takes up more space, I'm actually seeing less content on screen than before

ScrollTron1c wrote: The large images and the wider screen space are improvements.

However the problem is, each element takes up more than twice its required space because of the description field beneath it. This should be shown as mouse-over tooltip instead.

This also further proves that parts of the new layout put mobile devices above PC display and input, because this design only makes sense in a vertical portrait format.

Yep, really like the idea of the mouse-over tooltip, that would work really well. Edit: added a comma Edited by robertwhitenexus