New Nexus Mods design launched

Dark0ne

I'm super excited about this redesign. Not that I don't like this current one, I just love to see progression, especially on something that hasn't had an update in so long. Thak you all so much for all that you are doing, it makes modding feel so alive to me.

Can't wait to see what else you have in store.

*Smooches*

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking about it.. quite honestly this redesign reminds me an awful lot of the vanilla Skyrim interface.... completely antithetical to those of us on a PC.

Pssssst... and guess what was holding a lot of people back from switching over to Skyrim Special Edition? (Hint: it involves SKSE and UI)

In other words, by catering to mobile users you have just alienated much of your user base.

In response to post #54679773.

stomby wrote: I like how it looks on my phone. Many times I look on phone for mods to download when I have some time to kill and it seems to work much better on new site then it did on old site. Saying that, I'm not sure how it works on PC since I'm not near one for a couple days and I spend way more time on site with PC than phone.

For the most part, it looks like a bleeding mess on PC. If it becomes necessary, I can adjust to it, but I'd rather not need to.

I'm on PC and I think it looks GREAT. All I'd like is maybe an option to dim it a bit, the gray is a little jarring.

People just don't like CHANGE. You did a good job.

Edit: In fact the thing that's the coolest about this new design is that it gives a lot of spotlight to new mods, and well known mods too. Seeing them in a big space allows everyone a chance to get some spotlight, and the pictures really help sell it better. This is pretty genius stuff. Great work.

Request/Criticism:

If you see here all the mods have Orange text regardless of the game they're for. https://i.imgur.com/N0rf4J1.png

The old Nexus brilliantly color-coded the modded game on a per game basis. Would it be possible to do that here too? If nothing else, could you color code the game name that's currently set to "white"? I think it would be better to just change the Orange to the game's specific color though. I remember Oblivion was Orange, FO3 was Green, Skyrim was blue, etc.

Edited by shingouki2002

In response to post #54680663.

Sonja wrote: Thinking about it.. quite honestly this redesign reminds me an awful lot of the vanilla Skyrim interface.... completely antithetical to those of us on a PC.
Pssssst... and guess what was holding a lot of people back from switching over to Skyrim Special Edition? (Hint: it involves SKSE and UI)

In other words, by catering to mobile users you have just alienated much of your user base.

I dunno, I really like it. It creates a lot of exposure for things that the old interface just couldn't show at all.

Pictures and New Mods in particular tended to be huddled in the corner and never really got much shine.

Now you can scroll through and see a lot of things that could catch your attention. Hell, it wasn't until this new design that I found out you could mod The Witcher, and I was thoroughly impressed with the cool work people seem to be doing in FO4 even though I don't even mod that game anymore.

In response to post #54680663. #54680953 is also a reply to the same post.

Sonja wrote: Thinking about it.. quite honestly this redesign reminds me an awful lot of the vanilla Skyrim interface.... completely antithetical to those of us on a PC.

shingouki2002 wrote: I dunno, I really like it. It creates a lot of exposure for things that the old interface just couldn't show at all.

Pictures and New Mods in particular tended to be huddled in the corner and never really got much shine.

Now you can scroll through and see a lot of things that could catch your attention. Hell, it wasn't until this new design that I found out you could mod The Witcher, and I was thoroughly impressed with the cool work people seem to be doing in FO4 even though I don't even mod that game anymore.

I personally disagree. It works perfectly fine on desktop. In fact, it works better than the old design did, excluding the font rendering which looks like crap in Chrome, but works perfectly fine in Firefox. They definitely need to work on the font rendering on the Chrome side so it's not crap.

In response to post #54680663. #54680953, #54680998 are all replies on the same post.

shingouki2002 wrote: I dunno, I really like it. It creates a lot of exposure for things that the old interface just couldn't show at all.

KamranMackey wrote: I personally disagree. It works perfectly fine on desktop. In fact, it works better than the old design did, excluding the font rendering which looks like crap in Chrome, but works perfectly fine in Firefox. They definitely need to work on the font rendering on the Chrome side so it's not crap.

"Hell, it wasn't until this new design that I found out you could mod The Witcher"

~~~
Just....wow.

I don't actually mod any of the Witcher games, because I don't think they need mods... However, I'm not sure how I could have missed that it's possible to mod them.

Ah well...
On a site like this, there's no way you can please all of the people all of the time. There's a lot who dislike the new design, and others who seem to appreciate it. I suppose we'll see how things go. I can adjust if need be, but I'd rather have the option to use the old site if at all possible. Edited by Sonja

Every page is far too wide. I feel like I'm reading each line of text for a mile before dropping to the next. The files tab on each mod is so much less easy to determine what you're looking at especially if a mod has a lot of optional files. Every piece of text is white and pretty much the same size so it's hard for the eye to determine what is title vs. description etc. The size/date/# of downloads now appears first as primary information where before it was secondary which is where it should have stayed. On the old layout the file title and description was blocked off from one another and didn't actually have to tell you it was the description, it was just that easy to differentiate. Each file takes up double the page height they used to and there is an entire half page of wasted blank space on the right side of every one. Throughout the site there's too much white text mainly for titles and headlines that should match the color of the page based on the game (skyrim=blue, FO4=green, etc)

EDIT: I do like a lot of the features that have been added like more mods are highlighted on the main page. It's just the way a lot of it is designed is a lot less user friendly than the old. Maybe if there can be some balance between old and new. That would probably help.

Edited by sydtrakked