New Nexus Mods design launched

Dark0ne

In response to post #54840223.

instyne49 wrote:

Whyisthispageglitching,whenIhitthespacebaritwon'tgivemeabreakandallmywordsruntogether,MAJORGLITCH

Pretty sure that's not on our end, as you can see from all the other comments here with proper spacing!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #54764888. #54769383, #54773388, #54773893, #54792558, #54828773, #54841598 are all replies on the same post.

aogara wrote: The new design is really nice.
But, i find that the file tab is a bit less efficient that the previous one. I think that it uses too much vertical space and not enough vertical space.
Here are 2 of the alternatives i've worked on that may be more efficient and ease for the eye/brain.
a) File display alternative A
b) File display alternative B
axonis wrote: I really like your (B) alternative. Makes the description easier to focus on.
pintocat wrote: B doesn't work for all, because some authors think the download description is where giant banner images should be, like this https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/73937
axonis wrote: @pintocat, why would that not work for them ? Their BBcode-based descriptions would still be properly displayed, only with a table of stats next to them. The new design does not affect the size of those images
aogara wrote: Discussion still open ... it may hurt the artistic sensibility of some modders, but it doesn't look so bad to me.
File display Alternative A-2
File display Alternative B-2

axonis wrote: Exactly, File display Alternative B-2 shows that BBcode-based descriptions can perfectly fit with a tight display of stats to the right of the description.
slippyguy wrote: I wouldn't mind seeing something along the lines of this. Most mod authors seem to not include versions in the names of their files, which makes the whole old files section a huge pain, having to expand every file to see which version is which.

@slippyguy -- good point, if some files have to be collapsed, at least some information (such as version) can be displayed about them instead of an empty bar.

New design: I (personally) do not like the "Tile" style of websites, and never have. That said, I just have one request:

- Please make it so the website displays what mods you actually have installed.

I am one of those people that has TONS of mods installed across multiple games. It is often hard to remember what one has installed when browsing the site.

Thank you for all of your (and your team's) hard work regardless of my feelings on the new website design.

Is there a way (user preference) to make the new design permanent (auto redirect)? Loads of links (internal and external) are still pointing to the old design (URLs) and then choosing to switch to the new design will not take you to corresponding page, but to the main page. Meanwhile I will probably just use a redirect extension in chrome, because the new layout looks and feels very nice.

https://www.nexusmods.com/(.*) --> https://rd.nexusmods.com/$1

The following Redirector Chrome Extension does exactly what I want. And it's free and open source (GitGub).

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/redirector/pajiegeliagebegjdhebejdlknciafen

Edited by necropola

In response to post #54840223.

instyne49 wrote:

Whyisthispageglitching,whenIhitthespacebaritwon'tgivemeabreakandallmywordsruntogether,MAJORGLITCH

Pretty sure that's not on our end, as you can see from all the other comments here with proper spacing!

I have no clue what happened last night when I tried to post. Every time I hit the spacebar the page jumped but wouldn't give me word separation. It all seems fine today. Thank you for the fast response.

I have spent a bit of time looking at the new interface. It's taking a bit of time to get used to but it's merely different, not a serious problem. Once I learned how to get 3 mods across the page instead of five, it was much easier to navigate. I don't think this is a spoiler, anyone not liking 5 mods across, go to and change to the large tiles for mods, it will rearrange to three across. I do have a request that you re-enable the pop-up description on hover please, it makes for a much faster scan when looking for a particular type of mod. Anyone coming onto this site for the first time, not having the original mod pages for comparison shoud pick up navigation fairly quickly. I will continue to work with this new format and only make requests where needed. I hope your work on Vortex is coming along as I to want to see what it can do. Keep up the good work.

I like the look of the new format, and I keep making an effort to use it, but every time I end up switching back to the old format. It's hard to articulate why, but after a few minutes of using the new format each time, it just bugs me for some reason. I can't navigate quickly to where I want to go, so I switch back to the old version.

It would probably be different if I was approaching it strictly as a mod user, but as a mod author, most of the time I spend on the site is mod-author related, not mod-user related, and for purposes of managing mods, the old layout feels more user friendly. It takes me less clicks, less time, less scrolling, and less headache to get where I need to go.

Not sure if it's just me, or others eventually experience the same "I can't explain why I don't like using this, but I don't" reaction. I understand it's never going to happen, but if keeping the old format is a user option, that would be wonderful. The old format may not be "modern" or trendy enough, but it sure is a winner in my book.