New Nexus Mods design launched

Dark0ne

In response to post #54776863. #54783793, #54785438, #54786533 are all replies on the same post.

just4looks wrote: This is probably a stupid question, how do I get the new design to be the default version? Since this is going to eventually be the only version of the site, I'd rather rip the band-aid off now and get used to it.
mosesintheflesh wrote: I would like to know that as well.
Allonsen wrote: It looks like for the time being you just need to use the domain: "https:://rd.nexusmods.com", instead of the old "https://www.nexusmods.com." If I don't get an answer here I'll make a new post later, but is this going to mess up all the external links again?
Fhaarkas wrote: You can set up a Redirector to do it automatically like so -

9AtpumO.png

Thanks Fhaarkas :)

That little jewel of info will make this transition a little easier to swallow, as I.... like you and others, have a ton of bookmarks that would have been a pain otherwise to deal with.
Kudos heading your way for a helpful tip.... this valuable tidbit should be STICKIED somewhere for others before it gets buried here.... lost and forgotten.

Regards mate. Edited by newfy69

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #54785418.

UhuruNUru wrote:

In response to post #54779548.

[email protected] wrote: I know some will consider me part of the minority here, but I'm liking the new layout. Some argue it's less efficient. I respectfully disagree. It's far more streamlined. Presents more data up front. The featured mods really "Pop" now. Keep it up guys!

I've read a good number of the comments here. The people who like the new layout are the majority. The people who don't are just very loud. And it's not like Nexus will throw away all that time and money invested in the new site just because some people don't like aspects of the new layout.

So Have I, and I get the distinct impression, most of the likes are based on looks, while most disliking it, are based on function.

Thus as I'm a contrary sort, I'll dislike it on looks, but it's exactly the same complaint, I had with the old style.

Look ar this Forum, it fills my window, pretty much all of it.

Now look at all the wasted screen area on Old Nexus Mods, about 60% of the screen is a desolate wasteland.

skQKYpr.jpg

There's a slight improvent, on new nexus Mods, only about half the screen is a desolate wasteland.

DDwLqW6.jpg

I haven't got any further in, as this was my main issue with the old site, and it's still here.

Use all the screen to show me your content, whatever size it may be.

As every element now takes up more space, I'm actually seeing less content on screen than before

The large images and the wider screen space are improvements.

However the problem is, each element takes up more than twice its required space because of the description field beneath it. This should be shown as mouse-over tooltip instead.

This also further proves that parts of the new layout put mobile devices above PC display and input, because this design only makes sense in a vertical portrait format. Edited by ScrollTron1c

In response to post #54799858.

vcgrant wrote: On first blush, I find it ironic, and a bit telling, that a web site that owes it's very existence to PC Games and its fans, optimize's it's web design for mobile platforms.

Why is that ironic? A few people have commented on this and I've yet to have someone explain why it's silly to code a site with mobile optimisation in mind as part of the process.

18% of our traffic comes from mobile. A number that grows every single year as smartphone usage continues to rocket. It would be stupid to do a new design and not take that into account, just like it would be stupid to do a new design and not take in to account the 17% of people who browse the site using FireFox or the 5% who browse using Edge.

With your (and some other users') line of thinking, websites for console games should be most optimised for Televisions, because that's the platform on which you most play console games. Makes no sense, right? How you play your games has no relation to how you browse the internet and finding a happy medium for both desktop and mobile users, that can make both as happy as possible was, and still is, the most prudent course of action. Edited by Dark0ne

In response to post #54803438.

RageYT wrote: I adore the new website design and all, but have you ever thought about redesigning the NMM design? I would love to see a redesign of that.

No more updates for NMM are going to happen now or ever.

One thing I miss from the old layout is how the background image for the page would change based on the game you're searching under. For example, Oblivion showed an imperial guard to the left and a mythic dawn guy to the right. Skyrim was a Skyrim landscape with the dovahkiin, Fallout 3 was a guy in power armor. The new layout changes the color of a few buttons but that is all. It's a change that all. These changes are something that I can adapt to but I will miss the old website. It had a certain level of character and charm.

In response to post #54803438. #54803803 is also a reply to the same post.

RageYT wrote: I adore the new website design and all, but have you ever thought about redesigning the NMM design? I would love to see a redesign of that.
Ethreon wrote: No more updates for NMM are going to happen now or ever.

NMM is being re-branded to Vortex, and with it comes a new design.

In response to post #54799858. #54800528 is also a reply to the same post.

vcgrant wrote: On first blush, I find it ironic, and a bit telling, that a web site that owes it's very existence to PC Games and its fans, optimize's it's web design for mobile platforms.
Dark0ne wrote: Why is that ironic? A few people have commented on this and I've yet to have someone explain why it's silly to code a site with mobile optimisation in mind as part of the process.

18% of our traffic comes from mobile. A number that grows every single year as smartphone usage continues to rocket. It would be stupid to do a new design and not take that into account, just like it would be stupid to do a new design and not take in to account the 17% of people who browse the site using FireFox or the 5% who browse using Edge.

With your (and some other users') line of thinking, websites for console games should be most optimised for Televisions, because that's the platform on which you most play console games. Makes no sense, right? How you play your games has no relation to how you browse the internet and finding a happy medium for both desktop and mobile users, that can make both as happy as possible was, and still is, the most prudent course of action.

New site works great with the 0.0001% of "Brave" browser users :P