An update on Vortex development

Dark0ne

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #55117013. #55141193, #55144748 are all replies on the same post.

ozoak wrote:

In response to post #55070213. #55070518, #55075553, #55086123, #55089728, #55092388, #55093143 are all replies on the same post.

bchick1 wrote: IT'S FREE !!! I like free stuff !! I like free stuff even if it doesn't work ! why? because it's FREE ! FREE !!! FREE !!! Free is good! I will try FREE broken stuff ! Someone once gave me ... FREE ... a broken automobile. It didn't run but I could sit in it !! but it was FREE !! Whaddawewant? ?? FREE !!!

* quit complaining if you don't have to pay for it.

Ethreon wrote: Getting kicked in the face is free too, but I reckon you wouldn't want it to happen to you.
lued123 wrote: Okay, but FREE and OPTIONAL!
BadKappa wrote: Yea, but unless you have the option to accept that kick in the face, then you're making a common argumentative fallacy that has been degrading debate, specifically political, for a while now.

:wink:

ezfreee wrote: i'd gladly pay a LARGE amount to have a working version of MO for SSE. It's Tannin's fault for making MO in the first place. Maybe once he's done with Vortex we can pool some cash to have him finish MO2. :o
Mortercotic wrote: If vortex its done why should we need mo2?
Ethreon wrote: Some people seem stuck with their ideas. To them MO is the one and only manager.

Its a bit buggy and the profile system does not work (but a third party plugin works around that). r.

HI pls can u provide a link for MO2 profiles plugin. I cant get any profiles work properly,, THX

Edited by nieda113

I'm just glad it seems that they'll be putting a function that allows us to import our setups from NMM/MO to Vortex. I just installed the complete Fallout 4 game and have NMM still at 0.63.14. I have around 260+ mods (many are updates/patches of existing mods in the list) but I haven't even installed any single mod nor have even started playing the game except to test if the game itself works. I'm afraid that once I get to sorting my stuff in NMM and actually play before Vortex comes out, I'll be left having to restart my gameplay and mod setups from scratch just to migrate there.

I guess I'll be playing something else before Vortex actually releases some time in the future. But hey, at least I'm ready when it comes out, right? :sweat:

Please don't do what happens when you upgrade NMM - which is to force users to update each mod again. What need is there for that sort of nonsense unless your adding something to each mod? Which you don't... Just don't get lazy again and create the tools to read through your own data you built with your own app.

Sure there seemed to be an auto-update, but don't do this again unless you have a lot of error trapping, handling and timeout loops that can prevent what happened to me... a lockup on upgrading mods (waited 1 hour and it didn't update anything).. and the result the upgrade crashed all mods (reloaded 255+ mods again) because of how NMM upgrades itself. I still had the plugin.txt to work from, so that was okay to play the game, but NMM was blown apart. What was horrible was that it created the problem, and had not one ability to fix itself. Oh sure, I did the purge, and all that did was wipe out all the mods I was told by the authors to manually plug into the DATA folder.

As for the Nexus website. Nice more flat design and web-responsive. The upper area where the banner ad content has a huge amount of wasted space if the advertiser puts in a lower resolution image. So you end up with a small box of ad with 2 inches of wasted space and makes the overall site look cheap and banner ad focused like GEOCITIES of old... but the search is much improved and industry standard at the top of the page. Heavy use of tabs.

Being a gamer site, I'd have more liked to see user-preferences for users to select their skin/theme of their choice.

Button color selection is not well-done. Orange? That's not a recommended primary selector color when you overuse it for all hyperlinked material. Again, maybe theme selectors would have been nice, but better than the original site.

In response to post #55344843. #55373403 is also a reply to the same post.

Oax wrote: I don't like change... I'll just leave it at that :P
ILostMyNametag wrote: if it isnt broke dont fix it

Yes, let's all live in mud huts cause some of the villagers can't handle change.

"if aint broke don't fix it" is a dumb saying.

In response to post #55344843. #55373403, #55373898 are all replies on the same post.

Ethreon wrote: Yes, let's all live in mud huts cause some of the villagers can't handle change.

Change for the sake of changing is dumb. If there is an inherent flaw in the existing system, that's a reason for change. But, if you can only think of one reason then you don't have enough reasons.

In response to post #55066558. #55067438, #55083913, #55084763, #55092883, #55093178, #55112363, #55131808 are all replies on the same post.

1000101 wrote: wtf is "Vortex?" I'm guessing from the comments it's some sort of mod manager? And if so, unless it can do everything and give me all the power that Wyre Bash can, then I personally have no use for it.
Perhaps a small aside at the beginning of articles to let people know what you are talking about - ie, "Vortex" means nothing to me however, "Vortex, the mod manager we've been working on" helps a lot.

That being said, keep up the good work?
Ethreon wrote: Wouldn't hurt reading a bit

https://rd.nexusmods.com/fallout4/news/13257
TheInquizitor wrote: It just occurred to me that half of all Nexus users must be dyslexic. Calling it "Wyre Bash" instead of "Wrye Bash" is extremely common..
lued123 wrote: Yeah it's actually spelled Wrye and pronounced the same way as rye bread.
Ever heard of the Mandela effect?
FRANKY4F1NG3RS wrote: I use wrye bash exclusively for SSE, but I'm willing to bet this mod manager will have much higher capabilities. I don't know much about MO, but for Skyrim It seems to be the most favored manager. Now the creator of MO & MO2 has been hired by Nexus to make a new mod manager. How do you not know any of this? Its been going on for about a year now... although for some reason I doubt it'll have bash/merged patch capabilities but Mator Smash is the new tool that supposedly does both the best.
Ethreon wrote: At the end of the day a mod manager should do the job it's primarily meant for - manage mods. And it has to do that job damn well for the majority of games on this site.
PeterMartyr wrote: Crap I wrote Wrye earlier in this post, you made me check my spelling cos English isn't my First Language, it appears I am not dyslexic. :) But I can't spell in English for peanuts.
dragonjet wrote: btw it's wrye smash now

Wrye/Wyre/Whatever - not really the point, is it? Names are irrelevant compared to the substance of the stuff. "A rose by any other name", etc.

As to "wouldn't hurt reading a bit", I read quite a lot. But given the pure volumes of things to read, keeping up with the development, and more specifically the name of, yet-another-mod-manager isn't high on the priority list.

Anyway, to the team of people developing the project; I am looking forward to seeing what it delivers. Edited by 1000101

In response to post #55344843. #55373403, #55373898, #55376993 are all replies on the same post.

Ethreon wrote: Yes, let's all live in mud huts cause some of the villagers can't handle change.

1000101 wrote: Change for the sake of changing is dumb. If there is an inherent flaw in the existing system, that's a reason for change. But, if you can only think of one reason then you don't have enough reasons.

Congrats on rephrasing the other guy with your own words. We're discussing NMM here - I don't think there's a single person that used it across time without issues. There's even another article detailing all the reasons this change is happening, were people willing to bother reading.