ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Redesign Launch - Stage 2 in progress

Dark0ne

"WE DON'T LIKE CHANGE!"

Autism's a b*tch, huh?

I think the new design's pretty slick. Much better than the current/old one, which just has this WinXP vibe that I really do not like.

Although I guess I can agree with some people that a more cozy design might improve readability, that's about the only critique I could have.

Keep doing great work, guys.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not really fond of the new design. It feels like it needs more clicks to do some stuff and hides a lot of the preview text when the mod has a big name, the old hovering the mouse over a mod was very helpful because it gave a lot more info then now and was very good to help our judgment to click or not to click on a mod, now it’s just a jack in the box feeling.

The same goes for the featured mods, the new design is quite unfortunate, two mods side-by-side and the other ones (the losers or the good but not enough??) have only a small rectangle to show the images with no description at all. If they are featured, they should all show the same way, just like the old design, oh and with text.

My personal taste... the Media panel should be at the bottom and have an option to be disabled, I honestly don't see much use for it.

The news panel should be sharing space with new mods, side by side just like the old design, but inverted. The old design gave too much space to the news and little to the mods itself, it just needs to be swapped, put the news on the right or left with a single column and the rest for the mods.

Let’s see how many will curse me, or say a crybaby, or an idiot etc.

Edited by avpn

In response to post #55383223.

avpn wrote: I'm not really fond of the new design. It feels like it needs more clicks to do some stuff and hides a lot of the preview text when the mod has a big name, the old hovering the mouse over a mod was very helpful because it gave a lot more info then now and was very good to help our judgment to click or not to click on a mod, now it’s just a jack in the box feeling.
The same goes for the featured mods, the new design is quite unfortunate, two mods side-by-side and the other ones (the losers or the good but not enough??) have only a small rectangle to show the images with no description at all. If they are featured, they should all show the same way, just like the old design, oh and with text.

My personal taste... the Media panel should be at the bottom and have an option to be disabled, I honestly don't see much use for it.
The news panel should be sharing space with new mods, side by side just like the old design, but inverted. The old design gave too much space to the news and little to the mods itself, it just needs to be swapped, put the news on the right or left with a single column and the rest for the mods.

We/I read all the comments about the redesign. Anything constructive is taken onboard and will be reviewed when we come to making changes over the next several months. Anything unconstructive/rude/just "I hate it" with no feedback is simply ignored (or deleted, if it's particularly rude).

I don't mind people not liking it, just so long as I know why so I can ascertain whether their criticism is actually relevant or not and something I can actually use :)

Yours fits in the category of being useful, so thanks.

Flat design (in general) is the worst visual cancer humankind has ever invented.

I can't tell what's a button and what is not, and can't fix my eyes on anything, making using the site really difficult for me. It basically looks like one monolithic mess.

I don't understand why you had to make the redesign this way.

Edited by TheKlingonHamlet

In response to post #55380853.

hitmnaguy666 wrote: "WE DON'T LIKE CHANGE!"
Autism's a b*tch, huh?

I think the new design's pretty slick. Much better than the current/old one, which just has this WinXP vibe that I really do not like.
Although I guess I can agree with some people that a more cozy design might improve readability, that's about the only critique I could have.

What does Autism have to do with this?

I have many thoughts on the redesign but my biggest criticism, and by far the most important, is that I second what avpn said a couple comments back.

All "featured" mods need to have the same sized display like the original layout. I think if the mod is "featured" then it is "featured" and any picking favorites beyond that could cripple the amount of people who click on the smaller-pane featured mods, and thus cripple how much attention a featured mod would have gotten with the old layout.

I think it's subtle enough that most casual browsers would really only notice/consider the first two big mods.

Hope you agree.

Otherwise, I like the new layout a lot more than I thought I would, being someone who hisses like gollum at the prospect of change. Of course it'll take some getting used to, but it's an update both functionally and visually in tone with, say, modern Windows 10. Whereas the original design looks Windows 7. As much as I love Windows 7, a redesign is very welcome. So to speak.

Great work everyone, now I'm just waiting for every scrap of news for the new NMM-- or "Vortex".

I was a big fan of MO, and still use MO2 to this day, working through it's many issues from having not been updated in a while. I hope Vortex is keeping every feature from both MO and NMM, if possible.

Cheers.

In response to post #55380853. #55386463 is also a reply to the same post.

hitmnaguy666 wrote: "WE DON'T LIKE CHANGE!"
Autism's a b*tch, huh?

warriorpoetex wrote: What does Autism have to do with this?

Among the circles of internet kiddies autism is an insult. Go figure that out.

In response to post #55383223. #55384603 is also a reply to the same post.

avpn wrote: I'm not really fond of the new design. It feels like it needs more clicks to do some stuff and hides a lot of the preview text when the mod has a big name, the old hovering the mouse over a mod was very helpful because it gave a lot more info then now and was very good to help our judgment to click or not to click on a mod, now it’s just a jack in the box feeling.

Dark0ne wrote: We/I read all the comments about the redesign. Anything constructive is taken onboard and will be reviewed when we come to making changes over the next several months. Anything unconstructive/rude/just "I hate it" with no feedback is simply ignored (or deleted, if it's particularly rude).

I don't mind people not liking it, just so long as I know why so I can ascertain whether their criticism is actually relevant or not and something I can actually use :)

Yours fits in the category of being useful, so thanks.

Nobody is going to call you anything over legitimate feedback. Problem is that not everyone is able to express their distaste in any useful manner.

I'll be perfectly honest: The new design is yet another casualty of catering to smartphones. It feels clunky and disorganized on desktop, like it was designed primarily for touch screen devices rather than pointing devices. To put it simply, it looks and feels like a mobile app, not a website, and I'm not particularly fond of that. Not even when I'm browsing on my phone, funnily enough, I always force desktop sites on my phone.

I'll be sticking to the old UI for as long as I can until I begrudgingly switch due to not having a choice in the matter.

What would change my thoughts on it? Making it more resemble the old than it does. About halfway between old Nexus and mobile Nexus would be the butter zone, I think. Something that works and feels smooth on a mouse, yet also works and feels smooth on a touch screen. Currently it feels like it swung way too far in the touchscreen direction.

I also echo avpn's sentiments on the arrangement of items on the homepage.

Edited by KennyMcCormick315