Redesign Launch - Stage 2 in progress

Dark0ne

Wow, it is incredible to see how some people have reacted to the new site; I do not know if they are stubborn, silly or very conceited, it is like "my way and no other and I will leave if you do not change it back to what it was before" .... that kind of reaction is very sad because whoever have that kind of attitude, are just thinking about themselves and they are missing the entire picture. I can only say that I've never seen this kind of reactions anywhere.

Can we imagine if Amazon decided to change its website design at this point ? Will you discontinue shopping only because the new website is not of your preference ? New Nexus design is just a new design, with different colors and icons, bigger, but for some : impossible to navigate, impossible to stare at because is damaging their vision, impossible to deal with because we have to scroll too much and click a lot of times to get where we want to, it has been designed just for mobiles and tablets and not for PC's, etc,, etc .... I cannot believe that kind of attitude, is just simply silly and very childish in my opinion.

Dark0ne already said it that it was designed for both worlds : mobiles and PC's and still is not enough; it will not be enough till the owner ( s ) give up, destroy what the new site and go back to the old one; unfortunately for a lot of people it is just like that and again, their attitude is just unbelievable.

I have been trying to understand the reason (s) why some people dislike it so much but to be honest, I cannot figure out what is it in their mind. I guess is just a denial state of mind in front of evolution, changes and progress that are related to the new world that we have : PC, mobiles, tablets and laptops. Not long ago we did have only PC's but now, the situation has changed and business must take in consideration that kind of world we did not have before : people also use mobiles, laptops and tablets and the new site has been designed to support and please every single user, either with a PC or mobile, tablet or laptop. Denying that is just a lack of vision of the world we just have in front of us and not having a site designed to be available all the time via mobile, laptops, tablets or when we are in front of our PC's, is just not acceptable, it will be a bad decision from functionality, business and availability stand points. Whoever does not recognize that is simple just focusing on centering him(her)self and not thinking about others and that has a name : selfishness !

Sorry to hear that some are leaving but mark my words : you'll be back !

The purpose of amazon is generally buying things. The purpose of Nexusmods is to download mods for PC games.

There isn't a market here other than ad revenue, supporters, and premium members. Your argument makes more sense for things that could be more cross-platform, such as iTunes or whatnot(though even that has a separate design for PC and mobile, which really does not help with the credence of your argument), where there is a specific interest in keeping things multi-platform; just as people play music on their phones, they can do the same in their PC.

However, there is no PC gaming on the phone. I can not download the halamshiral ballgown dress for my Dragon Age 2 character on my phone. I can do it on my PC, and I can only do it on my PC. I can not take screenshots of my PC from my phone(unless I wanted to be extremely inefficient ), and then upload it to Nexus-mods(unless . . . Inefficiency.) This is a site whose very purpose lies in modifications for PC games. Whilst you can say that thinking otherwise is "lacking in vision", I think you're coming from a standpoint that is completely bypassing the reason for this website.

In the end, the only need for a mobile design is to access the forums or to look at text-based materials. Therefore, if Dark0ne wanted a seperate, mobile-based design, that would be somewhat intuitive, if the amount of people doing such is large enough(though it's still possible on the phone, just a bit clunky). However, in making a mobile-based design for a PC-dominated website that operates entirely on PC modifications, it's completely counter intuitive. You flip the situation so that it's designed for phones, and it's the PC's that are faced with things that are possible, but very clunky.

The fact of the matter is that a vast majority of functions for this website are only accessible for PC's. This update has made the social aspects, such as image browsing and commenting, quite a bit more inconvenient; that, I can freely accept, it's just a minor part of the website. But, this new design has made the core of the website, mod browsing, very infuriating. If this were a new design for an amateur modding site, okay, I can accept that. But it's not. When we have an older system that actually works better, of course you're going to have people like myself clamoring for it to go back. The old design worked, and it worked better, and to have us shoved back with features such as mod categorization made broken in the old design, it's really just not good.

This is why the old design should be the default for PC's. If someone accesses the website from a mobile device, the new design is more suited to that. However, it is less functional and less convenient than the old one, so the outraged is justified. As I said, the change is much more than aesthetic. The way one uses the website is changed quite a bit, and from my experience, it is a very negative change.

Edit: I take back the broken categorization comment about the old website. It's been fixed.

Hit the nail on the head. This has been a disturbing trend for not only websites, but software as well. For a site whose primary use is to download content for PC games, one would think that the site would be designed for PC users. The mobile users can be inconvenienced. I got my recent update page, so I am mostly satisfied, but the design does seem to be a step backward for the sake of aesthetics.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did the feedback page go? I wanted to add something to it.

You talking about the one Dark0ne referenced earlier? I'd like to know, too. Eventually, all of the feedback comments here and there will have to be consolidated when everything starts moving forward and the web designers working for the site go back to work. It's all the holidays in the US, and Christmas is coming up, so they'll probably fix a few things, and then come back to it after the first of the year.

This will eventually get locked and we will be directed to the bug reporting thread for the nexus site, I believe. Right now, everything is still in flux. Once Vortex is out, it will smooth out.

You know, here's a radical thought: Is there any way to give the new site the aesthetic of the forums? I find these very easy on the eyes, and on the sides, you could have artwork. Even if just some of the elements.

In response to post #55617056.

twowolves80 wrote:

Where did the feedback page go? I wanted to add something to it.

You talking about the one Dark0ne referenced earlier? I'd like to know, too. Eventually, all of the feedback comments here and there will have to be consolidated when everything starts moving forward and the web designers working for the site go back to work. It's all the holidays in the US, and Christmas is coming up, so they'll probably fix a few things, and then come back to it after the first of the year.

This will eventually get locked and we will be directed to the bug reporting thread for the nexus site, I believe. Right now, everything is still in flux. Once Vortex is out, it will smooth out.

You know, here's a radical thought: Is there any way to give the new site the aesthetic of the forums? I find these very easy on the eyes, and on the sides, you could have artwork. Even if just some of the elements.

It went nowhere.
https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/6187673-new-design-constructive-feedback/ Edited by Ethreon

In response to post #55610111. #55610741 is also a reply to the same post.

DuChene wrote: Very nice... my post was deleted only why I write in portuguese...
I was just try show you how is the dificult of international users... and we are more people than natural english language...
My sugestion was writed there, I will not do it again.
You all show how respect you have about other language users.
Dark0ne wrote: Your post was removed as it broke our Terms of Service. From our TOS, which you agree to when using the site:

The official language of Nexus Mods is English and English should be the primary language used at all times. We reserve the right to remove any content from the Nexus sites that isn't written in English at our own discretion.

In this thread especially, considering the heated nature of some of the comments here, I'd like it to remain English-only so I can keep an eye on things.

Just think about, the terms was writed when english lang was used for majority users, now is a new time, see how many translations in site (not one or other game, ALL GAMES)
I know exist one script to translate in real time, but i don't have access for it... it will bee good for users and for Nexus. Just it.
If you will use this terms with black on white interpretation... I think you will need delete all pages with mod translations writed in users natural lang (my pages I write in 2 or more langs).
Here we have a international community, all help all... and made one dinamic site with more than only one lang is the way.
Sorry how I think, but this' how I am.
p.s.: sorry my english, and I don't use google translator, because it made errors, and error for error, It's better that I commit them.

In response to post #55616951.

slvsaris wrote:

Wow, it is incredible to see how some people have reacted to the new site; I do not know if they are stubborn, silly or very conceited, it is like "my way and no other and I will leave if you do not change it back to what it was before" .... that kind of reaction is very sad because whoever have that kind of attitude, are just thinking about themselves and they are missing the entire picture. I can only say that I've never seen this kind of reactions anywhere.
Can we imagine if Amazon decided to change its website design at this point ? Will you discontinue shopping only because the new website is not of your preference ? New Nexus design is just a new design, with different colors and icons, bigger, but for some : impossible to navigate, impossible to stare at because is damaging their vision, impossible to deal with because we have to scroll too much and click a lot of times to get where we want to, it has been designed just for mobiles and tablets and not for PC's, etc,, etc .... I cannot believe that kind of attitude, is just simply silly and very childish in my opinion.
Dark0ne already said it that it was designed for both worlds : mobiles and PC's and still is not enough; it will not be enough till the owner ( s ) give up, destroy what the new site and go back to the old one; unfortunately for a lot of people it is just like that and again, their attitude is just unbelievable.

I have been trying to understand the reason (s) why some people dislike it so much but to be honest, I cannot figure out what is it in their mind. I guess is just a denial state of mind in front of evolution, changes and progress that are related to the new world that we have : PC, mobiles, tablets and laptops. Not long ago we did have only PC's but now, the situation has changed and business must take in consideration that kind of world we did not have before : people also use mobiles, laptops and tablets and the new site has been designed to support and please every single user, either with a PC or mobile, tablet or laptop. Denying that is just a lack of vision of the world we just have in front of us and not having a site designed to be available all the time via mobile, laptops, tablets or when we are in front of our PC's, is just not acceptable, it will be a bad decision from functionality, business and availability stand points. Whoever does not recognize that is simple just focusing on centering him(her)self and not thinking about others and that has a name : selfishness !

Sorry to hear that some are leaving but mark my words : you'll be back !

The purpose of amazon is generally buying things. The purpose of Nexusmods is to download mods for PC games.

There isn't a market here other than ad revenue, supporters, and premium members. Your argument makes more sense for things that could be more cross-platform, such as iTunes or whatnot(though even that has a separate design for PC and mobile, which really does not help with the credence of your argument), where there is a specific interest in keeping things multi-platform; just as people play music on their phones, they can do the same in their PC.

However, there is no PC gaming on the phone. I can not download the halamshiral ballgown dress for my Dragon Age 2 character on my phone. I can do it on my PC, and I can only do it on my PC. I can not take screenshots of my PC from my phone(unless I wanted to be extremely inefficient ), and then upload it to Nexus-mods(unless . . . Inefficiency.) This is a site whose very purpose lies in modifications for PC games. Whilst you can say that thinking otherwise is "lacking in vision", I think you're coming from a standpoint that is completely bypassing the reason for this website.

In the end, the only need for a mobile design is to access the forums or to look at text-based materials. Therefore, if Dark0ne wanted a seperate, mobile-based design, that would be somewhat intuitive, if the amount of people doing such is large enough(though it's still possible on the phone, just a bit clunky). However, in making a mobile-based design for a PC-dominated website that operates entirely on PC modifications, it's completely counter intuitive. You flip the situation so that it's designed for phones, and it's the PC's that are faced with things that are possible, but very clunky.

The fact of the matter is that a vast majority of functions for this website are only accessible for PC's. This update has made the social aspects, such as image browsing and commenting, quite a bit more inconvenient; that, I can freely accept, it's just a minor part of the website. But, this new design has made the core of the website, mod browsing, very infuriating. If this were a new design for an amateur modding site, okay, I can accept that. But it's not. When we have an older system that actually works better, of course you're going to have people like myself clamoring for it to go back. The old design worked, and it worked better, and to have us shoved back with features such as mod categorization made broken in the old design, it's really just not good.

This is why the old design should be the default for PC's. If someone accesses the website from a mobile device, the new design is more suited to that. However, it is less functional and less convenient than the old one, so the outraged is justified. As I said, the change is much more than aesthetic. The way one uses the website is changed quite a bit, and from my experience, it is a very negative change.

Edit: I take back the broken categorization comment about the old website. It's been fixed.

Hit the nail on the head. This has been a disturbing trend for not only websites, but software as well. For a site whose primary use is to download content for PC games, one would think that the site would be designed for PC users. The mobile users can be inconvenienced. I got my recent update page, so I am mostly satisfied, but the design does seem to be a step backward for the sake of aesthetics.

yeah i agree, who Dl's mods for mobile games? i mean i look on my phone for mods for skyrim while goofing off at work, and yes looking for mods was a bit clunky, but it never bothered me, now this new update comes through and im having issues that DO BOTHER ME like navigating the site, being forced to watch videos when i perferd to just glance at them wile reading the description isn't a complete possibility anymore, or even waiting for a photo to load while i read the description, all that has gone away and for what? so that i can look up mods on my phone easier? totally defeats the purpose, its all just backwards,