Redesign Launch - Stage 2 in progress

Dark0ne

I get that things will be wobbly for a while, but has anybody else's download speeds been abysmal? I'm getting sub-100 KB/s for everything 95% of the time, and it's been like this since yesterday. Dunno if that's something that I should bring to attention or not; I haven't seen anybody else talk about it. Normally I get 14/15 MB/s uncapped.

For reference, I'm downloading from rd.nexusmods.com. Maybe it's different for the old site; I haven't tried downloading from there yet.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figured that was the case. What tipped me off to it being because of the server/site transfer was that some mods were affected while others weren't - and different mods were affected at different times of the day. For example, earlier today I was trying to download the Autumn Leaves mod for Fallout: New Vegas, and I was getting awful speeds. Just now, I got 15 MB/s, but get awful speeds on Yukichigai's Unofficial Patch.

I don't know. Just figured I'd bring it up. Maybe it's just Nexus Mod Manager being Nexus Mod Manager, lol.

In response to post #55291743.

Jishkah wrote:

I figured that was the case. What tipped me off to it being because of the server/site transfer was that some mods were affected while others weren't - and different mods were affected at different times of the day. For example, earlier today I was trying to download the Autumn Leaves mod for Fallout: New Vegas, and I was getting awful speeds. Just now, I got 15 MB/s, but get awful speeds on Yukichigai's Unofficial Patch.

I don't know. Just figured I'd bring it up. Maybe it's just Nexus Mod Manager being Nexus Mod Manager, lol.

well, i'm getting an extremely slow download speed off CDN -- 100-200KB/s. in my case, it has been like this for DAYS

EDIT: so after upgrading to premium it works fine on other file servers...guess CDN is hectic Edited by calscks

In response to post #55291603.

Jishkah wrote:

I get that things will be wobbly for a while, but has anybody else's download speeds been abysmal? I'm getting sub-100 KB/s for everything 95% of the time, and it's been like this since yesterday. Dunno if that's something that I should bring to attention or not; I haven't seen anybody else talk about it. Normally I get 14/15 MB/s uncapped.

For reference, I'm downloading from rd.nexusmods.com. Maybe it's different for the old site; I haven't tried downloading from there yet.

As you're Premium, is this happening on every single server you download from? We have Premeium servers in three different geographic locations (and two continents) so if it's bad on all of them, I think it's likely to be on your end (likely your ISPs end) and not ours.

In response to post #55290218.

CursedSeal7 wrote: I really *really* dislike the whole "material design" fad that is essentially an excuse to build *only* a platform for mobile, and force desktop users to use it (which is sad for a website that is primarily used to download mods for desktop based games). Not only are you wasting vast amounts of screen space making images, buttons, and text larger than they need to be, but you're seriously hurting the UX when it comes to grouping things because of how spread out important things become when you're spacing them out as much as material design does.

I get that material design is really popular right now, but that's because mobile is in general growing as a platform, and more people browse the web on mobile. The problem *here* is that you guys seem to have hired UI designers to design UIs, and not think about their audience for whom they're designing. When your primary use case is to serve up information concisely on a primarily desktop based platform, material design is a horrible choice. The old site isn't perfect, but it's worlds better about this specific issue. You could do a lot better by just taking the current site and actually using the full width of the screen, rather than the middle third. I'd like to reiterate: I'm here to download mods for my PC games, not Candy Crush. I have a 16:9 display, not a 9:16 display(w:h). Stop wasting all of that screen real estate and stop wasting peoples time scrolling past all the empty boxes.

"material design is a horrible choice"
> assuming it's material design
> doesn't know what material design is

"an excuse to build *only* a platform for mobile"
> claiming a web design fundamentals 101 as a "fad"
> assuming a clean redesign is targeted for mobile users
> i'm really *really* starting to wonder if it's 2017 or 1997

i could've agreed with that most elements in the new website is taking up too much space making less information displayable without scrolling, but the way you form your opinions are so bad, almost as if you're trying to boss around the nexusmod's developers, while asserting everything as "material design" making it hell lot obvious you are severely lacking of adequate knowledge on the purpose of re-design which has been addressed by site owner dozens of time, fitting just right for a very arrogant, self-entitled and short-sighted person hated by most majority. Nexus Mods is by far one of the places with most self-centred individuals, sadly to say that. action of judging and demanding are what makes so many mod authors to lock their post sections or hide their mods and now we can see it finally targets the entire site.

In response to post #55291603. #55295738 is also a reply to the same post.

Jishkah wrote:

Dark0ne wrote: As you're Premium, is this happening on every single server you download from? We have Premeium servers in three different geographic locations (and two continents) so if it's bad on all of them, I think it's likely to be on your end (likely your ISPs end) and not ours.

so far it's the CDN in which i'm getting 100-200KB/s...but the europe servers are ok.

If it's a bad link, screen shots of the link and the button leading you there, along with the link address would help. What were you doing at the time?

giphy.gif

Remember, the more detail, the better.

Hmm...that's not a bad gif, actually...*yoink*

Here's another example of good feedback:

Guys, I think you should update the NMM runtime button at the top of the splash page (it still says 0.63.14, not the final version of 0.63.17). That would be helpful so we don't have to dig for 0.63.17. Thanks for the work you do behind the scenes. :)

In response to post #55290218. #55296213 is also a reply to the same post.

CursedSeal7 wrote: I really *really* dislike the whole "material design" fad that is essentially an excuse to build *only* a platform for mobile, and force desktop users to use it (which is sad for a website that is primarily used to download mods for desktop based games). Not only are you wasting vast amounts of screen space making images, buttons, and text larger than they need to be, but you're seriously hurting the UX when it comes to grouping things because of how spread out important things become when you're spacing them out as much as material design does.

I get that material design is really popular right now, but that's because mobile is in general growing as a platform, and more people browse the web on mobile. The problem *here* is that you guys seem to have hired UI designers to design UIs, and not think about their audience for whom they're designing. When your primary use case is to serve up information concisely on a primarily desktop based platform, material design is a horrible choice. The old site isn't perfect, but it's worlds better about this specific issue. You could do a lot better by just taking the current site and actually using the full width of the screen, rather than the middle third. I'd like to reiterate: I'm here to download mods for my PC games, not Candy Crush. I have a 16:9 display, not a 9:16 display(w:h). Stop wasting all of that screen real estate and stop wasting peoples time scrolling past all the empty boxes.
calscks wrote: "material design is a horrible choice"
> assuming it's material design
> doesn't know what material design is

"an excuse to build *only* a platform for mobile"
> claiming a web design fundamentals 101 as a "fad"
> assuming a clean redesign is targeted for mobile users
> i'm really *really* starting to wonder if it's 2017 or 1997

i could've agreed with that most elements in the new website is taking up too much space making less information displayable without scrolling, but the way you form your opinions are so bad, almost as if you're trying to boss around the nexusmod's developers, while asserting everything as "material design" making it hell lot obvious you are severely lacking of adequate knowledge on the purpose of re-design which has been addressed by site owner dozens of time, fitting just right for a very arrogant, self-entitled and short-sighted person hated by most majority. Nexus Mods is by far one of the places with most self-centred individuals, sadly to say that. action of judging and demanding are what makes so many mod authors to lock their post sections or hide their mods and now we can see it finally targets the entire site.

Come now calscks, at least CursedSeal7's complaint had something to it other then "rawr I hate nexus cause it changed, I so angry, no speak good, anger. anger, raraw" etc etc