Redesign Launch - Stage 2 in progress

Dark0ne

In response to post #55385813. #55403098, #55424833, #55429343, #55431058, #55452048, #55453283 are all replies on the same post.

TheKlingonHamlet wrote: Flat design (in general) is the worst visual cancer humankind has ever invented.
I can't tell what's a button and what is not, and can't fix my eyes on anything, making using the site really difficult for me. It basically looks like one monolithic mess.
I don't understand why you had to make the redesign this way.
Dreizopf wrote: This!

"I can't tell what's a button and what is not"

This is the problem of all smartphone app layouts and should not be used on desktops.
Eolhin wrote: I have to agree with this apt description of the problem telling buttons from things that are not.
Pushkatu wrote: I'm also not a very big fan of the new design. OP said it all, but I'm sure things will get better in the future, you guys always have a way of doing things that in the end, turn out to be great. Keep up the good work!
Hekkaryk wrote: Well I'm loving it so far :) Then again, I love Windows 10 design too...
Eolhin wrote: Ah, I could not set the Win 10 desktop back to the legacy Windows desktop fast enough. Thank the gods they had that option.
GlassDeviant wrote: The more I use the new layout, the more I dislike it.

Flat design used to be standard a long time ago, I mean a loooong time, like back when forums were first invented. There was a reason we (by we I mean every fracking forum on the planet, practically) moved *away* from the flat model. Now it seems the latest fad is to go back to flat, and it's just a horrid, messy waste of screen space, especially with so many people moving to small screens, but even for those of us who keep moving to larger and larger screens. I get larger screens to display *more* information, not so forums can waste even more of my screen space with emptiness or filler.

I hope at the very least we can select another theme that does not have the putrid pastel colour scheme.

Couldn't agree more. This went from one of the most navigable websites I use to one of the least navigable.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #55421218. #55426573, #55436688 are all replies on the same post.

Arthmoor wrote: You guys didn't stop the rollout or something did you? Ever since you said it was going out live, I've been using the normal address and expecting it to change but it never did. If you said something about it, I missed it.

Though, honestly, not that I mind since I prefer the old layout. The new one is much too flat looking, too cluttered on mod pages, and is harder to follow comments in due to the excessive use of flat color blocks. sorry I can't put that a bit more clearly but it's a general feeling that the site is now designed to be surfed on a 4 inch phone screen and not a 27 inch desktop PC monitor.
Dark0ne wrote: We're doing a gradual roll-out at this time, so if you're still on the old design, your number hasn't come up yet.

Feedback taken onboard.
Arthmoor wrote: I see. I take it it's some kind of regional deployment based on how the CDN breaks things up then?

It just happened to me, like 15min ago.

In response to post #55385813. #55403098, #55424833, #55429343, #55431058, #55452048, #55453283, #55453953 are all replies on the same post.

TheKlingonHamlet wrote: Flat design (in general) is the worst visual cancer humankind has ever invented.
I can't tell what's a button and what is not, and can't fix my eyes on anything, making using the site really difficult for me. It basically looks like one monolithic mess.
I don't understand why you had to make the redesign this way.
Dreizopf wrote: This!

"I can't tell what's a button and what is not"

This is the problem of all smartphone app layouts and should not be used on desktops.
Eolhin wrote: I have to agree with this apt description of the problem telling buttons from things that are not.
Pushkatu wrote: I'm also not a very big fan of the new design. OP said it all, but I'm sure things will get better in the future, you guys always have a way of doing things that in the end, turn out to be great. Keep up the good work!
Hekkaryk wrote: Well I'm loving it so far :) Then again, I love Windows 10 design too...
Eolhin wrote: Ah, I could not set the Win 10 desktop back to the legacy Windows desktop fast enough. Thank the gods they had that option.
GlassDeviant wrote: The more I use the new layout, the more I dislike it.

Flat design used to be standard a long time ago, I mean a loooong time, like back when forums were first invented. There was a reason we (by we I mean every fracking forum on the planet, practically) moved *away* from the flat model. Now it seems the latest fad is to go back to flat, and it's just a horrid, messy waste of screen space, especially with so many people moving to small screens, but even for those of us who keep moving to larger and larger screens. I get larger screens to display *more* information, not so forums can waste even more of my screen space with emptiness or filler.

I hope at the very least we can select another theme that does not have the putrid pastel colour scheme.
blevins9109 wrote: Couldn't agree more. This went from one of the most navigable websites I use to one of the least navigable.

i just spent 5 minutes on this new layout trying to find scrap mods for fallout 4, and i got so many skyrim and oblivion mods in the list especially ones that didnt even have scrap in the name that i just gave up.
can i have the old layout back?

I'm ok with the new style. I do like the general approach, but I have one quibble with part of the UX in the mobile aspect ratio. Hitting the hamburger button on the top right causes a menu to pop up on the top left. It's just odd to click something and always have to move horizontally to get to where you need to interact.

What's the point of having the 'Back to top' directly besides the usual browser scrollbar? It should be at the left side to be somewhat useful, and also have a 'Jump to bottom' -button to easy reach the "My download history" and "Tracking centre" which is now waaay down. (My scrollfinger hurts and I lose seconds of my life)

One thing I noticed about the Updates button--it shows only some of the updates, and only to those comments posted on a mod page through the new site.

Also, and maybe this is something easily fixed? I don't know. When you click on the update you want to view on a post on a mod's page, it doesn't take you to your comment, it takes you to the latest post in the thread, so you have to sift through all the comments until you find yours. That can be confusing if you made a comment weeks ago, and the mod author is just getting back to you. I still haven't found the comment of mine that was responded to, nor the response, so perhaps it's just bugged?