oblivion over skyrim

gengar807

I'm adding a kickass dragon to Oblivion (animating is a lot of fun for me :)) and more daedra and monsters than Skyrim has.

With the graphics mods Oblivion has for it, it will be the better game for some time until Bethesda starts pumping out the DLC !

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got really excited about Skyrim, and boy did it look the business, and the 'off with his head' bit right at the start promised weeks of gaming heaven. And it's a really good game....but somehow I have found myself drawn back into Oblivion (just brought a bargin bin copy of Oblivion 5th Anniversary edition) I can't say that Oblivion is a better or more rewarding game, but I can say that I simply enjoy playing Oblivion, and at the end of the day, that's all that really matters. Maybe that's why some people prefer Morrowind to Oblivion or Skyrim, not because of the graphics or the technical specifications, but simply because it's fun. Enough said.

Oblivion beats skyrim any day in my opinion. As a previous poster said, skyrim removed too much and doesn't really add anything new to the table. I played oblivion, without exaggerating, on over 100 characters and I am still finding new things to do. Skyrim however is lackluster.

This is purely aesthetic, but I adored the green foresty feel of Cyrodil, and there was always this incredible 'wander-lust'. I played in the 360 for two years straight, and am just now starting to play it on PC with mods. I am not tired of it. It's an amazing game.

I also feel that although the graphics are INCREDIBLE in Skyrim, that in general it is a little harder to 'look at' for long periods of time. I think this is due to the contrast being extremely high.

As for Quests, Characters, Gameplay, and the Soundtrack, Skyrim is a worthy upgrade to Oblivion and a lovely addition to the series.

I'm still playing Oblivion actually, but I've seen my hubby's Skyrim on his comp and I do look forward to getting it next. It is starker scenery than Cyrodiil but I can see where you get enveloped in it after awhile. I do like Nords over Imperials as characters; although they smell worse and are crude and rough around the edges, they pretty much mean what they say. And I love Dovahkiin (spelling?) song, especially sung by Malukah. At work we tried to get this German/Swedish guy to get into playing the game by playing the song and he fell in love with Malukah instead and looked up her home location, etc. hehe

I want to learn to play Skyrim theme and Morrowind theme on my electronic keyboard. I love Jeremy Soule music and have to say that I have loved every Elder Scrolls game from Arena, Daggerfall, on to the present and am eagerly anticipating Elder Scrolls Online. Bethesda is the absolute #UNO game company in the world for me.

To pick favorites - Arena & Morrowind.

This rendition is great too ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gxzyUtvtt4&feature=related

Edited by 1bis

It's really annoying how every new Elder Scrolls seem to remove more stuff from the series.

Skyrim removed a lot of spells, magic schools, enchanting is depressing in skyrim compared to oblivion aswell, even less armor slots ( and i thought oblivion didn't have many! ), the guilds seem even shorter!

I dunno... in general i prefer Oblivion..

I agree with what most people are saying here. The fact that Skyrim is a good game but it dumbed down things too much.

There doesn't feel like there is as much customization in Skyrim as there is in Oblivion. You can't customize stats to begin with, only Health, Magika and Fatigue. While this does make the leveling process much easier, it takes away the feel that your character is actually progressing in strength or intelligence. You are just increasing a number by 10 each time. Your character becomes a template for you to slap 10's on every so often, instead of planing you character out carefully like in Oblivion. While I like being able to create your own items, which was absent in Oblivion, but wasn't absent in Oblivion was the ability to make spells. Being able to create quite literally hundreds of different combinations with all different effects was fun and engaging. I never did figure out why they left it out of Skyrim.

Skyrim is a good game. It makes a big improvement on the combat mechanics and has a great story, but really subtracted from the customization options that made me really love Oblivion.

Simple. The ideal TES game would have the engine of Skyrim and the setting of Oblivion.

I'd argue against this.

Ideal: Morrowind's Main Quests / Oblivion's side quests and extra things / Skyrim's engine

They added crafting in Skyrim, but they removed spellcrafting. They added dual wield, but they removed equipment options (ie, greaves, cuirass). Why does Bethesda remove as many features as they add with every game? Oblivion added horses but removed a lot of spell-making depth. Oblivion added action-based combat, but removed open cities. Skyrim added werewolves, but they shortened questlines. Skyrim added perks but removed skills. You'd think with a budget TES V magnitude and 6 years of dev time they wouldn't have needed to scale anything back.

I wish Bethesda would make a game that actually just added features without removing them in equal amounts.

Edited by Rennn