New design constructive feedback

Dark0ne

Ah, so the site's getting upgraded for use with some mobile integrated app fluff. That at least makes sense. Is the Vortex service going to be replacing Nexus Mod Manager or serving as a 2.0? Either way, hopefully they heavily revise the new layout to be much more user friendly than it currently is.

Old site you can find what you are searching for, new site very hard to navigate. If I wanted the "most popular" mod vs what I am really looking for I would use steam workshop.

I find it to be the contrary. I find the new search function to be quite a lot better than what it was on the old design. The moment you start typing in the search box, there's a drop-down menu that appears with possible results. The latter is adapted on the fly as you type more, which is very convenient...

And if the new site is very hard to navigate, then I advise you to never go on a sailing trip on your own. We might never see you again, even when you didn't go further than a hundred yards from the shore. Which would also mean we'd have very poor eyesight, but it was metaphorically speaking.

We could probably do without the passive-aggressive condescending remarks. The new format is a bland mess that over-complicates the basic browsing protocol of a mod hosting website. I can sympathize with the dev's frustrations over people's frustrations, but there's no getting around the fact that this first edition is a bit of a stinker and is going to need heavy reworks to streamline overall functionality and address the visibility of important search and catalogue functions.

EDIT: Just to reinforce some feedback I encountered while rereading and agreed with:

• The new format has too much wasted space and lacks the useful compactness of the old one. Almost every individual display has too much "personal space", making navigation on a monitor a tedious thing of scrolling. The pages needs to be a little more compressed. There are several screenshots in the thread detailing this, and a good balance between the new and old formats would be nice here.
  • Speaking of compression, too much of the site's information is trapped behind huge expanding and collapsing menus. It makes it very tiresome to do detailed searches and browse mod information when there are too many extra steps in a process that typically involves opening several browser tabs already. "Shunting" other data on the page out of the way for a menu is a very bad idea, and the pages would be better off if more of them utilized scrolling sidebar menus (replicating the search sidebar from the old format, for example) so that it stays on the page at all times meaning you can alter your search parameters freely. Also, why is the search options menu so gigantic? I can't get over that.
  • Tabs. Use more tabs. If you want to compartmentalize page data, use tabs. Not massive dropdowns, not screen-filling menus, easy to browse tabs all located in a neat little row.
  • The site needs more differentiation. Visually, nothing stands out unless you scroll back up to figure out which section you've wandered in to. Which leads me to...
  • Utilities. The important utilities that users use the most have been archaically jammed away. It would be nice to have an expanded user section which immediately allows you to browse your tracked mods, for example, and easier access to browsing by category that doesn't need to be reset every time you change your search parameters. The current available search options in the dropdown featured at the top of the screen are completely useless. Categories and the tag system need to be "sticky" when searching and operate as second only to the actual keywords the user types, rather than hidden away and disappearing every time you change your search. Essentially, the search system needs to be MUCH closer to the old format.
  • The list of dropdowns and giant mod picture which occupy a staggering amount of a mod's main page are completely antithetical to the nature of a mod page. The section dropdowns should be featured at the bottom of the main page beneath an actual introductory section, which should have an optional and relocatable picture option rather than a massive centered screenshot being required.
  • The gallery for mods currently opens up a large browsing window similar to wiki formats, which takes over the screen for viewing. I'm aware of the problems of the old format's pictures, but they were much more user friendly and did not dominate the screen obnoxiously, cutting you off from other options on the page. The gallery viewer should be by default much smaller and allow access to the rest of the mod page, with an option for fullscreen.
Edited by ElAhrairaha

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got stuck on the new site after avoiding it for months.

I really do not like the "new" site look or functionality. I am so glad that "old.*" exists and that I finally got upset enough to find out how to revert back to it.

I feel better now, but if I am forced to switch, I will simply stop coming here.

Thank you!

I loaded up The Nexus for the first time in a while. (Hadn't been modding games for a few months). When the page loads, I almost recoil out of my chair, because what I see is ugly and confusing. Most of the things on the page feel far too big, there's no overall theme. Looking at it, it feels like the ugly windows themes from windows 95, with it's square edges and gray textures.

I will be replacing www.nexusmods.com with old.nexusmods.com in my address bar for the foreseeable future. I want to browse mods, not figure out how to use this ugly new interface.

Maniac3020; You will simply be prolonging your own pain if you do that. The "old" interface is going away it's not coming back. Best to learn to navigate the new one.

(Oh, and your post is the exact opposite of the title and purpose of this topic.)

Ah, so the site's getting upgraded for use with some mobile integrated app fluff. That at least makes sense. Is the Vortex service going to be replacing Nexus Mod Manager or serving as a 2.0? Either way, hopefully they heavily revise the new layout to be much more user friendly than it currently is.

Old site you can find what you are searching for, new site very hard to navigate. If I wanted the "most popular" mod vs what I am really looking for I would use steam workshop.

I find it to be the contrary. I find the new search function to be quite a lot better than what it was on the old design. The moment you start typing in the search box, there's a drop-down menu that appears with possible results. The latter is adapted on the fly as you type more, which is very convenient...

And if the new site is very hard to navigate, then I advise you to never go on a sailing trip on your own. We might never see you again, even when you didn't go further than a hundred yards from the shore. Which would also mean we'd have very poor eyesight, but it was metaphorically speaking.

We could probably do without the passive-aggressive condescending remarks...()....

Well, maybe you're on the same boat then. There's nothing "difficult" about navigating the new lay-out.

Besides, I'm from Belgium. What you call passive-aggressive condescending remarks we call humor, albeit with a touch of sarcasm and a whiff of irony. The bulge you see on my cheek has my tongue in it...

Why is the new layout being forced? I dislike it, it is too difficult to find a CATEGORY section, I hardly ever load Nexusmods on a mobile app, the fundamental basics have been changed, now to look for a mod I need to use the search function?

The Old Layout has been too unreliable as of late, some pages not loading at all.

That New Layout abomination that shouldn't exist, there are MANY of us who dislike it, it doesn't make any sense, I'm having a very hard time find even th most BASIC information in a mod page, seriously folks, I know some things in this website are NOT UP FOR DEBATE, but this is too much even in the most simplistic level, that shower of information, bright themes, are you people fishing for more mobile users? why not FORCE THAT on mobile devices instead of my browser?

I do not like that this is being forced, it is not the nexusmods I'd remember.. this is something that wasn't touched even in the Oblivion era! I thought the new layout was a experiment as even youtube has been doing something like that, but seriously... AT LEAST keep the Old layout as a option and Robin are you on board with all of this?

*damn*... I love this website.. this is too confusing

I can't believe this... can someone make a noob video on how to use the new layout? IS THERE A GUIDE OR MANUAL I'm not aware of?

I'm really not fond of the new layout or the fact that it commits the cardinal sin of forcing several extra button clicks to reach the same objective where the old layout required far fewer. The advanced search is less useful, the color for the text and the font also hurts my eyes, and overall it just feels like a downgrade... I'm agreeable to trying to stick it out but the lack of proper search functionality is what prompted me to comment. Why can't I pick search functions within categories anymore? Why can't I specify the level of endorsements I want on a new file before I'll view it? Why was /all/ this stripped out? Skyrim nexus in particular has thousands of mods and with this new change it's near impossible to find what I'm looking for without wading through tons of useless information.

Seriously though I mean it, I can't use the new layout for very long because it's legitimately giving me one hell of a headache. If it's here to stay please /never/ get rid of the option to use old layout, otherwise I'm legit not going to be able to use the site.

Edited by nyaore

I have to agree with everyone saying to revert, in particular the "most recent" filter option is gone, something that breaks site usability when I'm skimming through to see if any new mods are out as well as seeing if someone has updated their mod. The same applies for locking categories behind it's own page, it was one click but it is now 2 clicks to get to the category and then 2 look overs just to check and see if anything interesting/updated has appeared.

The new rest of the UI is usable but some basic functions have been replaced with more complex ones without a reason.