New design constructive feedback

Dark0ne

I hate it.

No, sir. I don't like it.

I know that's probably not constructive, but I do not have a single positive thing to say about the new layout. Better to keep it short and sweet than complain.

Can either of you two members think of one or two things that, if you changed them on the site, might make it a better experience for you? There's been some pretty good suggestions I've seen in these threads that even I, who likes the new site, find myself agreeing with and making me notice things that might make it better, too.

Aside from giving users the option to toggle between the two layouts and hide the "You are viewing our old website layout. View new layout" message, I cannot really think of anything I want from the new layout. I tried using it, it doesn't really do it for me.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

I do like the new design, and normally everything worked as intended.

Now this week suddenly all the links to the mod pages opens the old design pages and not the new. I mean the links from NMM and searching with google too.

As said it started this week but before everything was normal. It all opened the new design pages.

How do i revert it back to normal?

Hate it. Nothing stands out. Graphically, minor things like tags seem to be displayed with the same importance as everything else. The whole thing seems flat. I sincerely hope you didn't pay for this. I'd be asking for my money back. Right now it's like one of those captcha's where you have to find the letters in a mess of shapes.

I would certainly suggest making the most commonly used and important sections stand out more. Maybe highlight with color or a border?

New complaint, and if someone knows a built in way to fix it please tell me.

*on good page* use filters, get the catagory I want, eyeball the front page screenshots in the grid format, if something looks appealaing, click and see more.

*on new page* scroll through the pages, try to eyeball the screenshots, but they seem to be top to bottom going from clear to blurry, making eyeballing them worthless.

Is there a way to actually see the advertisement thumbnail for the mod so I dont have to click every mod to try and find ones I might like? You know, get rid of that blurry clouded bottom half of every picture that redners the thumbnail useless?

I don't know if any one else has noticed this, but If you have bookmarked a general search topic like immersive just by putting the term immersive in the title search box on the old Nexus format and bookmarking the first results page showing various mods with immersive in their title intending to come back to it at a later time and in the meantime you are switched to the new Nexus format the bookmark you made earlier comes up as not found making it useless. General search bookmarks should transfer from the old to the new Nexus formats not become useless from one format to another.

This is an error I have observed and do not know why this occurs except that maybe the different formats were made with different programs and that is why the above happens???

Also for those of us that like to copy the mod information on the page for a manual installation and keep it as part of the information about the mod, including images showing content, it would be easier and faster if the mod title and author/uploader were on one line like in the old Nexus format and just above the description without the about this mod/you have not downloaded this yet in between or other stuff. In my personal opinion when copying the mod information not having to delete extraneous stuff when copying a page or part of a page speeds up productivity especially when downloading multiple mods during a given period of time. - Just a format suggestion.

Also when choosing download in the new Nexus version not all of the available downloads including optional and old versions show up. All the files show up in the drop down menu choice. For people like me that find drop down menus slow and would rather just click on one button the download button needs fixing to do this.

Over all I find your old Nexus format much better for simplicity of layout and ease of use. (this does not figure in bugs or the lack of them - just general layout) Why change a good thing for something with a much more complicated layout that is harder to use without having to visit more screens than in the older layout. Just constructive criticism here. Could those of us that like the old format better continue to use it over the new format. Could you provide an option to do that? I don't know if this is possible but it sure would be nice.

Since I have mostly criticized the new format I will say a couple of positive things about it. I like the image page and adding quicker access to the images on the main page was a good move. Also adding back the category listing to the main page is good too. The tags just don't work for me, but the category listing does.

Anyways my feedback on the new versus old Nexus format.

Nothing about the new layout is good. Nothing.

A week ago I could at least decide if I wanted the new design - now it's forced down my throat.

I don't get it. Just like youtube, myspace other forums etc - All of them switch to an inferior design layout. All of them make it more complicated (not really, just more of a clusterf*#@) than it was before. All of them remove the option of using the old layout. WHY ?

Edited by 999blabla999

Whoa ! Calm down people !

I knew the old site was temporary and today I've been forced to use the New layout.

I won't tell it's a bad design as my respect to who made it.

But this has caused a very drastic change in my experience of browsing Nexus.

Which I will having a long and hard time to get used to it.

Can we at least given a chance to do Voting about the sites ?

Knowing feedbacks are rarely.... well, you know what I mean...

If there's no other way for us to coming back to the old Nexus.

We will never forget its Simple, Handy, and of course Experience of the old Nexus.

Regards.

Edited by BlueWingDragon

Like many, i needed and still need time to get used to the new layout.

But i'm not here to discuss that, the world is changing, sometimes we like it, sometimes less. That's life !

But i saw one issue that bothers me today. It's the "blocked tag" function. I don't block lot content, but i was uesed to block "translations" to show up. I mean nothing against transaltions, they very fine, but when i'm looking for mods, no need for me to go through 5 pages of the same mod translated in several languages.

So it looks that this function isn't working more. I have plenty of mod translation showing up each day again.

PS: not sure if this is the best place for this problem. But there several treads around discussing the new layout and Nexus site, most long and still the same old songs. :cool:

Like many before me have stated in this thread, I feel absolutely that the Nexus Team should let people choose between layouts on the fly. I can respect the need to update your brand, but the new layout is incredibly unfriendly to browse and reads incredibly poorly as well. The constant centering and generic tab frames are unappealing and create unnecessarily cumbersome steps to just getting to the point of browsing mods. The revamp of the search system is backwards and awful: it immediately tells you you're blocking a ton of files at which point you have to mouse all the way over to a dropdown just to configure your settings. After you do so, the actually important options like browsing search by description instead of name are thrown into this messy gigantic search window and not given any visibility, while the popup that clutters your screen with how huge it is displaces everything else for no reason.

The sorting options make no sense as presented. Why mention blocked tags with no easy way to figure out you're blocking tags, or how to get to them with the unnecessarily gigantic attributes listing taking up all the space? Why can't we look at our attributes or search options while browsing instead of having to open up a giant box blocking out all the content? This redesign has overall just added a ton of unnecessary steps to what was originally a very simple matter of navigation. For example: a constant search bar at the top of the window, meaning nothing can be searched without scrolling back up to the top of the page and disconnects the user from whatever they may be browsing. Want to search for an item in a specific category? Too bad, guess you have to open a new subwindow on the page just to even get an option for it.

It's impossible to tell what kind of page you're on half the time: there's nothing differentiating most pages or even a clear site branch label. I clicked on what looked exactly like a mod only to find it was a WIP screenshot and I was left dimly scrolling up and down over an obnoxiously big picture looking for a description tab until I noticed that. Nothing on the site stands out whatsoever - it just all runs together with no clear labels or layout. It's like the site doesn't want me to do anything but look at massively oversized pictures and search every file in existence unless I want to take four extra steps every time I want to refine or change my search.

It looks like a mobile layout, which makes it overall very inefficient for actually browsing content and navigating tabs on mod pages. When one actually manages to access one, mod pages are clogged by a gigantic picture and this forces you to scroll down just to look at the actual details of the mod itself, featuring a staggering number of useless dropdown tabs for text while the ones I'd want to click on, like forums or bugs or pictures, are stranded off-screen. Why does looking at a picture open a huge window that blocks everything else instead of a nice compact frame I can browse through? The new layout makes Bethesda's clunker of a mod hub look streamlined and friendly, something I assumed was impossible. I honestly, truly hope you didn't pay actual money to someone to design this mobile banner trainwreck and also hope you listen to your dedicated users and the silent majority of casual users behind them - yes, this is where the silent majority are; please at the very least provide an option to use the old layout permanently.

Edit: I cannot take the idea that a website dedicated to hosting and downloading mods for Personal Computer games should update its format entirely to be more "appealing" and "friendly" to Mobile Phones seriously. This isn't addressed at the Nexus Team who I very much appreciate for their hard work, just my own shocked observation at such a terrible delusion. I have no problem with a redesign, but when it hinders the singular intended function of your website, it's a major issue. This redesign needs it own massive redesign to not scare users off.

Edited by ElAhrairaha