New design constructive feedback

Dark0ne

this thread in a nutshell:

Poster1 - new layout is godawful

dev Response - no FU u r wrong new layout is gud

Poster2 - *insert actually constructive feedback*

dev ignores it

seems to me the devs are over attached to this new layout even though most don't like it and refuse to admit and/or change it because of their attachment to it. and that this thread is less about receiving constructive feedback or criticism and more about trying to get others to pat them on the back with how dismissive they are to anything other than "oh em gee it looks good!"

honestly. the new layout is one step forward, and then so many steps backwards you walked out the front door and into a street and thus got hit by a bus.

totally agree on this. Same thing happened to last fm. Devs keep making same mistakes over again

Edited by GreyHorizon

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really think you should add a funcionality to allow tagging mods for later download. I've lost count of how many times I saw a mod while browsing on a computer other than the one I play on or on my phone (thus was not able to download the mod) and had no other option to remember that mod later other than by tracking it.

The problem with tracking is that there is no option to sort the mods in the order you tracked them, so the mod I wanted to remember to download later ends up in the middle of hundreds of other mods I am already tracking, so it's very difficult to find that one mod again if you don't remember its name.

That seems like a simple funcionality to implement, like Youtube's Watch Later list. Hell, we don't even have the option to mark mods as favorites, which is something you can do pretty much everywhere else on the internet.

Constructive feedback:

There is no way to permanently switch to the old design. That is the badest thing about the new design.

Personally I really HATE the tiles for the mod previews. They turn all preview images in a greyish shroud that really gives me the feeling of not wanting to search for any mod anymore. That's how bad it is for me. The mod creators do their best to create wonderful preview images and Nexusmods just destroys them.

I'm really annoyed that when I use the old design I'm getting continiously redirected to the new design or it's saying that the page I wanted to see does not exist.

:mad: :down:

Edited by Zeratem

Constructive feedback:

There is no way to permanently switch to the old design. That is the badest thing about the new design.

Personally I really HATE the tiles for the mod previews. They turn all preview images in a greyish shroud that really gives me the feeling of not wanting to search for any mod anymore. That's how bad it is for me. The mod creators do their best to create wonderful preview images and Nexusmods just destroys them.

I'm really annoyed that when I use the old design I'm getting continiously redirected to the new design or it's saying that the page I wanted to see does not exist.

:mad: :down:

Totally agree on the tiles for the mod previews. The preview images should be showcased and not censored. There used to be hideous "View mod" button in the middle of the image, but at least they got rid of it. They should also get rid of the grey shroud (or whatever that's called) and place the text below the image. As it is now, with the shroud thing and the text covering the image, you lose at least 40% of the thumbnail.

this thread in a nutshell:

Poster1 - new layout is godawful

dev Response - no FU u r wrong new layout is gud

Poster2 - *insert actually constructive feedback*

dev ignores it

seems to me the devs are over attached to this new layout even though most don't like it and refuse to admit and/or change it because of their attachment to it. and that this thread is less about receiving constructive feedback or criticism and more about trying to get others to pat them on the back with how dismissive they are to anything other than "oh em gee it looks good!"

honestly. the new layout is one step forward, and then so many steps backwards you walked out the front door and into a street and thus got hit by a bus.

totally agree on this. Same thing happened to last fm. Devs keep making same mistakes over again

Tsk, I tells ya...Members keep making the same mistakes over and over again by not reading the OP. So here, I'll spell it out with the big red crayon:

1. Old site is going the way of the dodo because it's too expensive and labor-intensive to have two sites showing the same information. Modders would have to create two different mod pages for a single mod. Vortex will not be integrated into the old design.

2. This thread is for posting glitches and other broken features so that the dev (and notice, there's no apostrophe and "s" after that) can comb through the threads to find issues that need addressing. Idiotic comments like, "This site sux balls, you're breaking Nexus, I'm leaving and never coming back," et cetera, are probably going to be ignored as they provide no useful information to the dev.

3. The old site is not coming back, so no amount of bitching, wheedling, whining, crying, ranting, threatening to leave, cussing out Dark0ne or the admins, or rant-posting is going to bring it back. Dark0ne gave everyone a chance to vote on the new website a half year ago or so (and I'll admit, I'm one of the ones who missed that post) so that people could post ideas they'd want to see integrated into the new site. The only response was crickets and a few, scattered bits of feedback. Therefore, for those who were here at that time, guess what? You have nothing to say about anything that Dark0ne decides to do about the new site because you had your chance and missed it, and he's not going to bring back that thread simply to satisfy you.

4. If you think a poll would provide some dramatic new light on the situation that you're just sure would show that the majority wants the old site back, go for it. I'll get the popcorn and laugh. You, who are not the site owner, do not get to dictate demands just because you and a bunch of loud-mouth malcontents are unhappy because no one addressed your concerns directly. Dark0ne deals with, on average, I'd say at least a thousand messages a day he has to comb through. He doesn't have time for that s#*!, and neither do any of the other admins who are otherwise working behind the scenes to make sure Vortex is delivered on time and as solidly as possible so that they can then focus their attention on the website, as was stated very clearly in the OP.

Robin owns the site. Robin decides what goes. Robin makes the rules. It's that simple. You can either choose to be a part of the new design by helping to brainstorm ideas to make it better, or you can fall by the wayside and moan about how it isn't exactly to your liking.

I really think you should add a funcionality to allow tagging mods for later download. I've lost count of how many times I saw a mod while browsing on a computer other than the one I play on or on my phone (thus was not able to download the mod) and had no other option to remember that mod later other than by tracking it.

The problem with tracking is that there is no option to sort the mods in the order you tracked them, so the mod I wanted to remember to download later ends up in the middle of hundreds of other mods I am already tracking, so it's very difficult to find that one mod again if you don't remember its name.

That seems like a simple funcionality to implement, like Youtube's Watch Later list. Hell, we don't even have the option to mark mods as favorites, which is something you can do pretty much everywhere else on the internet.

Vortex is slated to be able to do this, which is why mobile was integrated. That way, you could look at the mods on your phone, star them, and then when you get back to your pc, they would either be waiting in your download queue, or would download automatically as soon as you opened Vortex.

I don't like the new layout. It's slower, less user-friendly, and not as easy on the eyes. Please give us an option to switch back to the old layout, or at least improve this one to be more like the old one.

The improvements are coming. Right now, it seems that they are only focusing on bug fixes through their Github account. As soon as Kit is done with Vortex and it's released, she will turn her full attention to the website, according to Dark0ne. We just have to be patient.

Like many before me have stated in this thread, I feel absolutely that the Nexus Team should let people choose between layouts on the fly. I can respect the need to update your brand, but the new layout is incredibly unfriendly to browse and reads incredibly poorly as well. The constant centering and generic tab frames are unappealing and create unnecessarily cumbersome steps to just getting to the point of browsing mods. The revamp of the search system is backwards and awful: it immediately tells you you're blocking a ton of files at which point you have to mouse all the way over to a dropdown just to configure your settings. After you do so, the actually important options like browsing search by description instead of name are thrown into this messy gigantic search window and not given any visibility, while the popup that clutters your screen with how huge it is displaces everything else for no reason.

The sorting options make no sense as presented. Why mention blocked tags with no easy way to figure out you're blocking tags, or how to get to them with the unnecessarily gigantic attributes listing taking up all the space? Why can't we look at our attributes or search options while browsing instead of having to open up a giant box blocking out all the content? This redesign has overall just added a ton of unnecessary steps to what was originally a very simple matter of navigation. For example: a constant search bar at the top of the window, meaning nothing can be searched without scrolling back up to the top of the page and disconnects the user from whatever they may be browsing. Want to search for an item in a specific category? Too bad, guess you have to open a new subwindow on the page just to even get an option for it.

It's impossible to tell what kind of page you're on half the time: there's nothing differentiating most pages or even a clear site branch label. I clicked on what looked exactly like a mod only to find it was a WIP screenshot and I was left dimly scrolling up and down over an obnoxiously big picture looking for a description tab until I noticed that. Nothing on the site stands out whatsoever - it just all runs together with no clear labels or layout. It's like the site doesn't want me to do anything but look at massively oversized pictures and search every file in existence unless I want to take four extra steps every time I want to refine or change my search.

It looks like a mobile layout, which makes it overall very inefficient for actually browsing content and navigating tabs on mod pages. When one actually manages to access one, mod pages are clogged by a gigantic picture and this forces you to scroll down just to look at the actual details of the mod itself, featuring a staggering number of useless dropdown tabs for text while the ones I'd want to click on, like forums or bugs or pictures, are stranded off-screen. Why does looking at a picture open a huge window that blocks everything else instead of a nice compact frame I can browse through? The new layout makes Bethesda's clunker of a mod hub look streamlined and friendly, something I assumed was impossible. I honestly, truly hope you didn't pay actual money to someone to design this mobile banner trainwreck and also hope you listen to your dedicated users and the silent majority of casual users behind them - yes, this is where the silent majority are; please at the very least provide an option to use the old layout permanently.

Edit: I cannot take the idea that a website dedicated to hosting and downloading mods for Personal Computer games should update its format entirely to be more "appealing" and "friendly" to Mobile Phones seriously. This isn't addressed at the Nexus Team who I very much appreciate for their hard work, just my own shocked observation at such a terrible delusion. I have no problem with a redesign, but when it hinders the singular intended function of your website, it's a major issue. This redesign needs it own massive redesign to not scare users off.

Very well said, just because a majority is silent, doesn't mean it agrees. In this thread there are several reasons to not post.

1: Some people use the service but have no desire to use the forums.

2: Agree with OP but feels they have nothing to contribute.

3: Disagree with OP and feels they have nothing to contribute.

4: Notices that as this thread goes on, there is a pattern, anything that cannot be boiled down to "I like it!" is flooded out by the same 2-4 people mocking anyone who doesn't like this.

Bad decisions happen, and this change of the page was a BAD decision, as it pulled the functionality of the page in the opposite direction of any other large index search page, and seems to be mobile friendly, for a site whose function cannot be used on a mobile device.

Like many before me have stated in this thread, I feel absolutely that the Nexus Team should let people choose between layouts on the fly. I can respect the need to update your brand, but the new layout is incredibly unfriendly to browse and reads incredibly poorly as well. The constant centering and generic tab frames are unappealing and create unnecessarily cumbersome steps to just getting to the point of browsing mods. The revamp of the search system is backwards and awful: it immediately tells you you're blocking a ton of files at which point you have to mouse all the way over to a dropdown just to configure your settings. After you do so, the actually important options like browsing search by description instead of name are thrown into this messy gigantic search window and not given any visibility, while the popup that clutters your screen with how huge it is displaces everything else for no reason.

The sorting options make no sense as presented. Why mention blocked tags with no easy way to figure out you're blocking tags, or how to get to them with the unnecessarily gigantic attributes listing taking up all the space? Why can't we look at our attributes or search options while browsing instead of having to open up a giant box blocking out all the content? This redesign has overall just added a ton of unnecessary steps to what was originally a very simple matter of navigation. For example: a constant search bar at the top of the window, meaning nothing can be searched without scrolling back up to the top of the page and disconnects the user from whatever they may be browsing. Want to search for an item in a specific category? Too bad, guess you have to open a new subwindow on the page just to even get an option for it.

It's impossible to tell what kind of page you're on half the time: there's nothing differentiating most pages or even a clear site branch label. I clicked on what looked exactly like a mod only to find it was a WIP screenshot and I was left dimly scrolling up and down over an obnoxiously big picture looking for a description tab until I noticed that. Nothing on the site stands out whatsoever - it just all runs together with no clear labels or layout. It's like the site doesn't want me to do anything but look at massively oversized pictures and search every file in existence unless I want to take four extra steps every time I want to refine or change my search.

It looks like a mobile layout, which makes it overall very inefficient for actually browsing content and navigating tabs on mod pages. When one actually manages to access one, mod pages are clogged by a gigantic picture and this forces you to scroll down just to look at the actual details of the mod itself, featuring a staggering number of useless dropdown tabs for text while the ones I'd want to click on, like forums or bugs or pictures, are stranded off-screen. Why does looking at a picture open a huge window that blocks everything else instead of a nice compact frame I can browse through? The new layout makes Bethesda's clunker of a mod hub look streamlined and friendly, something I assumed was impossible. I honestly, truly hope you didn't pay actual money to someone to design this mobile banner trainwreck and also hope you listen to your dedicated users and the silent majority of casual users behind them - yes, this is where the silent majority are; please at the very least provide an option to use the old layout permanently.

Edit: I cannot take the idea that a website dedicated to hosting and downloading mods for Personal Computer games should update its format entirely to be more "appealing" and "friendly" to Mobile Phones seriously. This isn't addressed at the Nexus Team who I very much appreciate for their hard work, just my own shocked observation at such a terrible delusion. I have no problem with a redesign, but when it hinders the singular intended function of your website, it's a major issue. This redesign needs it own massive redesign to not scare users off.

Very well said, just because a majority is silent, doesn't mean it agrees. In this thread there are several reasons to not post.

4: Notices that as this thread goes on, there is a pattern, anything that cannot be boiled down to "I like it!" is flooded out by the same 2-4 people mocking anyone who doesn't like this.

Bad decisions happen, and this change of the page was a BAD decision, as it pulled the functionality of the page in the opposite direction of any other large index search page, and seems to be mobile friendly, for a site whose function cannot be used on a mobile device.

By the same token, just because a majority is silent doesn't mean it disagrees, either.

The pattern is from, if anything, people posting shtuff that does not belong in the thread. This isn't a, "I hate the new site, change it back or I'm leaving and taking all my toys home!" thread. Period. If you don't like the new site, fine, but don't make the web dev's job harder by being a weeaboo in a thread that is meant for her to be able to collate constructive feedback.

Mocking isn't tolerated. That would be considered flaming and would be a violation of the TOS. That being said, yes, I get the idea you're trying to convey. You have to remember, too, that many times, the admins and power users have gotten a bit jaded because it's always the same whining and rage-posting and s***-posting and generally clouding up a thread that had one goal--consolidate the constructive feedback for the new site in one location so the web dev, Kit (that's her name), would be able to immediately see what features people want to see changed, and what features need to be removed or added. That is a contract to us, the members, but we have to fulfill our own end of that contract, too, by paying attention to what has been said, what the directions for the thread are, and what the dev is looking for. That doesn't give us carte blanche to clutter up the thread with one-line posts like, "This site sux balls. I want the old one back. I'm leaving until it comes back." What possible information can be gleaned from that that will improve the new site, since Robin already said the new site is here to stay and there's no point in arguing over its existence? Again, what info can be taken from that that will directly benefit Kit? Is there something in there about buttons? No. Is there something in there about re-arranging some of the layout? No. Therefore, it's interference and noise, and is utterly useless in the context of this thread.

I find it funny, too, that in this thread, and in the other 100 + pages of the other, a moderator has not once stepped in that I can recall--no, I take that back. I think a moderator altered one of my own posts, though the reason why and the context I can't recall right now. Other than that, no moderator has once stepped in. I would like to think this is because some of the regular posters in this thread are doing their best to keep it on topic and self-police our behavior so that there is no need for moderator-interdiction.

Vortex will allow the site to be used on a mobile device in a new way--queue-ing your mods while you browse on phone so that as soon as you fire up Vortex, it will download them for you. No, I don't know the details anymore than anyone else--I just read a lot of forum threads. 20% of the site traffic is from mobile, so very clearly many users are using the site on their phones, most likely on lunch breaks to check out the newest mods, or when they're otherwise away from their PC.

Edited by twowolves80

I feel really sorry for you, twowolves80. Only a very tiny fraction of the people you reply to (and newcomers to the thread for that matter) seem to actually bother to read your replies. It's like trying to get a bunch of mischievous kittens to stay put... Don't worry, I read them though! :thumbsup:

Edit: I find the fact that what we just posted have almost the same gist extremely amusing. :D

1. The way I see it, those who have no desire to use the forums to complain about the new design, most likely don't have a problem with it in the first place. They just come, get their mods, and go.

2 & 3. Since they have nothing to contribute, I guess they don't really have any major issues or things that they would like to be added/improved. Otherwise, they're free to post any constructive criticism they want.

4. Then I guess these people aren't paying enough attention. No posts here get "mocked". It's just that a lot of people aren't aware that the new design is here to stay. They come here and just say that they would like the old design back, without leaving any constructive criticism whatsoever. These same 2-4 people are just trying to let them know that if they have nothing constructive to say, then they shouldn't really be posting here, as that makes Kit's job more difficult.

Also, the function of this site will be able to be used on a mobile device once Vortex is released. That was literally the entire point of the redesign.

Edited by turoktony