skyrim getting boring

gengar807

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'm finished with Round Six in Skyrim, and I've barely dug into the Main Quest and just started the Thief's Guild questline. Why? I'm at level 52 and I can generally one-shot just about everything in the game. I've never gotten this high in Skyrim, before, and it's a total let-down. I'm not even using the most powerful spells, or the best gear that's available. I'm wearing the same self-enchanted leather armor I made at level 25, and brandishing the same ebony bow and greatsword I made at level 30. I know Whirlwind Sprint and Unrelenting Force. I find most of the other shouts to be ineffective and boring. I even tried Deadly Dragons on this playthrough, but wound up disabling it because of issues with the mod.

In other words, I'm convinced that Skyrim does not scale well once you get past level 40 or so. I turned the difficulty up, thinking that would help, and it did to some extent, but I also suddenly found myself in situations which were no-win, even though I could have handled them readily at much lower levels. Scaling needs a severe work-over before I think Skyrim is actually going to be fun much over level 40. I might get back to this playthrough at a latter date, but it's on the back burner for now.

I've settled on a more laid-back playthrough for Round Seven. I think KillerSkark1978 has the right idea. I'm having fun with this character, although my intention is to do all the primary quests, but I'm not in a hurry to complete any of them. I have only a single point, each, in Smithing, Enchanting, and Alchemy. I only make what I need, rather than grinding out stuff to sell and make lots of money like I've done, before. What's money good for, anyway? By the time I get to level 25 or so I already have more than I can ever spend.

I do a lot of hunting and fishing. In fact, I'm role-playing my character as a hunter -- not as a savior of worlds and slayer of dragons. I installed a mod that gives me home in Riverwood, and I'm happy with that. I don't need Breezehome or Lydia (especially Lydia, who whenever I get her just winds up staying at Breezehome drinking my meade for the entire game, anyway).

I've discovered and explored places that I haven't seen, before. I've gotten my butt whipped by encounters that I used to take in stride, when I had the latest, greatest enchanted gear, powerful spells, and The Voice. It's fun playing a normal mortal, and I really do like the gameplay at lower levels. My character is currently pushing level 10 and still isn't using enchanted gear. We'll see how far that goes. I actually feel like a resident of Riverwood, which I think is one of the most beautiful regions in Skyrim, anyway, so that's a good place to make a home (for me). I didn't even kill Anise, this time, even though, as player, I know she's hiding a Dark Secret. My character sees her as the grandmother she never knew.

Let the dragons be. Forget the civil war. I'll join the College in Winterhold, the Bard's College, the Thief's Guild, the Companions, and I'll even bump off Grelod the Kind to get into the Dark Brotherhood, just because I can't stand that old hag. I'll eventually get around to talking to Jarl Balgruuf about what happened in Helgen, but I don't have to pursue the Main Quest any farther than killing Mirmulnir. Even so, I have time. Lots of time. There's no need to rush through life. The candle that burns the brightest burns out the soonest.

Boring? Skyrim can quickly degenerate into the very depths of boredom. Or, you can do something fresh, new, exciting ... you can do something ... different. I think that once you play a game so many times, you can fall into a rut of always doing the same things every time you play. That's why they get boring. Skyrim has, potentially, a LOT of replay value. Throw in some good quest mods and it will be as eternal as Morrowind or Oblivion. We're just going to have to wait until the modding community for Skyrim has matured. It will happen. Be patient.

one thing I am really enjoying doing with my character at the moment is killing any Thalmor agents I see roaming around the open plains, Having chosen to play as a Nord this time round, which is a first I have mostly done runs as a Wood Elf or Khajiit had one really good run with a Orc once as well, I have decided that my character is a true believer in Talos and has decided to rage his own personal war against the Thalmor, although I have no intent of joining the Stormclock rebellion I intend to help the Stormclocks in the shadows by taking out any Thalmor I see and trying to free any Stormclock prisoners.

May even go one step further and run some solo planned raids to take out Imperial Camps, not even sure if its possible to do that have never tried it before but will find out. but these will be actions of my own making without joining the Stormclocks and having to take my orders from Ulfric, again am not sure if this will be possible, I have tried once before and failed, but I may try to make it a goal to become a powerful enough warrior to stop the execution and free the guard in Solitude who gets executed when you first visit.

Since I am not playing this time to complete any main quests I may seek out a mod that allows me to kill anyone since I have no worries about breaking any of the main quests in order to achieve these goals should these task prove a no win situation due to unkillable characters.

Although I have decided to complete the companions quests at least up to the point where I can become a werewolf simply because I want to use the superior sprint speed of been a werewolf to scout the open plains of skyrim.

Edited by KillerSkark1978

Skyrim's gameplay and graphics>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Oblivion's.

Oblivion's faction quests and sides quests>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Skyrim's.

Skyrim's voice acting>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Oblivion's.

Oblivion's creature variety>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Skyrim's

Edited by shotgun188

overall i think most of you guys agreed with me :biggrin: and let us all hope that skyrim will just come out with better expansion packs (if they can :P).

Beth has to get the core of Skyrim fixed before they even start thinking about layering a money grab DLC on top of it.

I love Skyrim but it really does have some things that drive you crazy after awhile.

I don't know, Skyrim is like one step forward and one step backward. It's an incredible game on some levels , yet some of the deep seated problems are just crippling in the long run.

Far and away the biggest problem is the lack of identity your character has.

My character...he has no personality whatsoever. There are few choices in dialogue and none of it really matters, in terms of what you say, how you act. Few of the NPC's are memorable or unique. And again, my own character has zero flavor, there is nothing to him that marks him as MY character, theres just nothing to him, he is interchangeable with anyone else's character. I wish the dialogues and ethical choices mattered. In the open world RPG aspect Skyrim is the undisputed king, but in terms of personalization and choice based dialogue, a game like Mass Effect beats it easily. It would make the game immeasurably better if i could play an evil hearted bastard with a savage wit, or an honorable knight always out to do the right thing, or a village idiot turned savior of the world, or a jerkish rogue with a heart of gold, etc.

So basically all it boils down to is : uninteresting quests given by uninteresting NPCs, to a boring player character. Bethesda and Bioware need to make a baby together....it would be glorious.

Oh and yeah, you can't have an RPG without player stats, sorry. If the old system wasn't working or was being abused by power gamers, CHANGE it, don't abandon it entirely. I don't know why they didn't just use something like a modified SPECIAL system. Also, the game fails because of too much choice, too many options for power. I don't think most players want to be able to easily create a god-like character that can do everything and be awesome at everything. The game should limit your powers. No, you shouldn't be able to be a master theif/assassin/warrior/mage that is the head of every guild and housecarl to every Jarl in the game. Stats back up this system. Sure you could be a skilled warrior and mage, but it should come with weaknesses and compromises.

So yeah...Skyrim needs a better team of writers and a return to some of the complexity of Daggerfall and Morrowind.