Mod Author Donation System

Dark0ne

In response to post #56103896.

Kajuan wrote: I guess I agree. I almost stop modding also cause this, users are not willing to even click an endorsement, imagine...
Endorsements, indeed, are around 5% / 10% of unique downloads, and the "thanks" even less. Too much hours of hard work on some mods for just this.
Even Nexusmods, I guess, lives upon something more tangible, and this also due to the modders work as well.

As a fellow mod author, I just want to say I love and appreciate all your awesome work. :thumbsup: I would love if mods could be sorted with an endorsement to unique download ratio.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #56124651.

alt3rn1ty wrote:

Apologies if I missed this already being mentioned :

Should I be lucky enough to receive enough DPs can they be spent automatically (ie we set it somewhere) straight back into the Donations to support the site ?

So my Supporter status gets auto upgraded to Premium if enough goes through etc

While we can't support buying Supporter/Premium right now with the DP due to some backend issues, we certainly intend to make it something you can buy with your DP. And by extension, we'll probably let you buy other users (like your favourite mod authors, or useful users in your file comments section) Supporter or Premium with it as well.

Now I'm liking the idea :)

Banking any DP for now then. Might even just give a bunch to Utumno for Wrye Bash development and get him Premium.

In response to post #56107121. #56107916 is also a reply to the same post.

StickySock wrote:

For authors who port other mods to SSE, couldn't there just be an option to split points with the original author? You could just tag the creator, and then the system could send every other point (or whatever has monetary value) to the original creator. Ports do take effort, but they are clearly benefiting from the work of another. Therefore, a split (whatever the community deems fair I guess), seems like the best way to go.

bchick3 wrote: A couple of issues. Yes a porter like me is using the work of another author and as such I agree something goes to the original author but a 50/50 split doesn’t seem fair to me. 99% of the ports I have done are 100% supported by me, not the original author. Second almost all of the ports would never have happened if not for porters like me. Most oldrim authors have moved on or didn’t have the time or knowledge to port them. So why shouldn’t I benefit from my work even if it’s based on an oldrim mod. I think 25% to the original author in this case is more fair. If you take away the sse porters incentive to port, things will stagnate again. At least until folks start making original mods in sse.

I totally get your point bchick3 but I also think you underestimate the work that goes into the initial mod making.
It's like letting someone build a house and then asking for 3/4 of the rent this person earns just because you do maintenance on it. Maybe a bit exaggerated but you get my point.

Also pretty sure the port would have never happened, if there was no mod to port in the first place :p Edited by Firuu

In response to post #56107121. #56107916, #56125786 are all replies on the same post.

StickySock wrote:

For authors who port other mods to SSE, couldn't there just be an option to split points with the original author? You could just tag the creator, and then the system could send every other point (or whatever has monetary value) to the original creator. Ports do take effort, but they are clearly benefiting from the work of another. Therefore, a split (whatever the community deems fair I guess), seems like the best way to go.

bchick3 wrote: A couple of issues. Yes a porter like me is using the work of another author and as such I agree something goes to the original author but a 50/50 split doesn’t seem fair to me. 99% of the ports I have done are 100% supported by me, not the original author. Second almost all of the ports would never have happened if not for porters like me. Most oldrim authors have moved on or didn’t have the time or knowledge to port them. So why shouldn’t I benefit from my work even if it’s based on an oldrim mod. I think 25% to the original author in this case is more fair. If you take away the sse porters incentive to port, things will stagnate again. At least until folks start making original mods in sse.
Firuu wrote: I totally get your point bchick3 but I also think you underestimate the work that goes into the initial mod making.
It's like letting someone build a house and then asking for 3/4 of the rent this person earns just because you do maintenance on it. Maybe a bit exaggerated but you get my point.

Also pretty sure the port would have never happened, if there was no mod to port in the first place :p

I'm sorry, but I totally disagree with you bchick3.

I ported a couple of mods too and I made some translations. It took time to make this, of course. Much time.

But: Nobody forced me to make those ports. Making them was my own decision and I wanted to share it with the community. I use a lot of mods and I wanted to give the community something back.

It should be free. Always. Personally I would be ashamed if I would take donations for mods which are based of other modders work.

So either I will turn DP off for my ported files or I give the DP for the ported file to 100% to the original-author.

Generally we should pay with endorsements here, not with money.

I like the idea, and I hope it works out. IMO the modders should get some recognition for the work they do. It is always such a pity to see so many unique downloads for a great mod, and the % of people that will even take a second to come back and endorse, being so small.

On another note I would love to see an option where nexus members could purchase DP and throw it to a specific modder. It would be difficult with a fluctuating value for DP but I'm sure something could be figured out. Maybe even make it some kind of option where a member could contribute an amount ($) into the monthly fund, and have the ability to "direct" something like 20% to a specific mod author. That would be nice.

In response to post #56103896. #56125031 is also a reply to the same post.

Kajuan wrote: I guess I agree. I almost stop modding also cause this, users are not willing to even click an endorsement, imagine...
Endorsements, indeed, are around 5% / 10% of unique downloads, and the "thanks" even less. Too much hours of hard work on some mods for just this.
Even Nexusmods, I guess, lives upon something more tangible, and this also due to the modders work as well.
Asaforg wrote: As a fellow mod author, I just want to say I love and appreciate all your awesome work. :thumbsup: I would love if mods could be sorted with an endorsement to unique download ratio.

Well, I don't expect an endorsement for each unique download really, like 1:1, cause someone could just download, try and delete the mod, but also a percent of 5%/10% looks like more a lazy thing by the most users, seen it is just as free as a click of mouse. Thank you Asaforg.

In response to post #56122566. #56123061 is also a reply to the same post.

Hilli1 wrote: As someone who ported a couple of mods to SSE and made translations I would NEVER accept donations in any form.

I am porting mods because I love the game and I don't want to make money with it. Mainly I port over mods for my game and I want to share it with the community. It is a hobby and not a kind of making money.

I see rather the problem that it will be more difficult to get permissions from the original-authors to port-over mods. When someone would ask me - I would be distrustful from now on.
The first thing I would think after implementing the new donations-system would be "He want to make money with MY stuff".

When I would be foreced to get any donation-points here, the only possibility would be to transfer it to the original-authors. Should this not be possible I would quit to publish any mods and transfer all my ports to the care-taker.

My personal opinion is: I disagree with the complete new donation-system. We don't need this at all. This is a place for FREE mods. Any kind of donation-system would destroy this principle.
Dark0ne wrote: If mod authors whose work you are porting are bothered by this, then when you ask them for permission they would simply say "Yes, but ensure I receive all the DP from your port". You then agree or disagree with that, and port or don't port accordingly.

It sounds like it's a win win, really. You don't want to receive DP but want to ensure mod authors don't feel like you're taking DP from them, so you simply tell them you will turn DP off for the files you port OR you're willing to give them your DP for that ported file.

If anything, those mod authors should be more willing to give you permission to port their work based on the fact they'll receive more DP from their original work without having to do the port themselves.

Oh, Dark0ne himself. Thank you for clarification. I am relieved that I can turn DP off or give them away.

Let me say this closing: In the moment when money comes into play the page here will turn into something... different. People discussing here seriously how many percent from the DP they should get. This is the direction it goes. I don't like this trend.

In response to post #56107121. #56107916, #56125786, #56126436 are all replies on the same post.

StickySock wrote:

Firuu wrote: I totally get your point bchick3 but I also think you underestimate the work that goes into the initial mod making.

Also pretty sure the port would have never happened, if there was no mod to port in the first place :p
Hilli1 wrote: I'm sorry, but I totally disagree with you bchick3.

I ported a couple of mods too and I made some translations. It took time to make this, of course. Much time.

But: Nobody forced me to make those ports. Making them was my own decision and I wanted to share it with the community. I use a lot of mods and I wanted to give the community something back.

It should be free. Always. Personally I would be ashamed if I would take donations for mods which are based of other modders work.

So either I will turn DP off for my ported files or I give the DP for the ported file to 100% to the original-author.

Generally we should pay with endorsements here, not with money.

Imo bchick3, if porting the mod is such hard work, then just remake it from scratch and recieve 100% of the points. You are claiming that you more or less did 75 percent of the work if you want such a distribution after all. Hell, I also think it should be 25/75, except the porter gets the 25.

In response to post #56122566. #56123061, #56127651 are all replies on the same post.

Hilli1 wrote: As someone who ported a couple of mods to SSE and made translations I would NEVER accept donations in any form.

I am porting mods because I love the game and I don't want to make money with it. Mainly I port over mods for my game and I want to share it with the community. It is a hobby and not a kind of making money.

I see rather the problem that it will be more difficult to get permissions from the original-authors to port-over mods. When someone would ask me - I would be distrustful from now on.
The first thing I would think after implementing the new donations-system would be "He want to make money with MY stuff".

When I would be foreced to get any donation-points here, the only possibility would be to transfer it to the original-authors. Should this not be possible I would quit to publish any mods and transfer all my ports to the care-taker.

My personal opinion is: I disagree with the complete new donation-system. We don't need this at all. This is a place for FREE mods. Any kind of donation-system would destroy this principle.
Dark0ne wrote: If mod authors whose work you are porting are bothered by this, then when you ask them for permission they would simply say "Yes, but ensure I receive all the DP from your port". You then agree or disagree with that, and port or don't port accordingly.

It sounds like it's a win win, really. You don't want to receive DP but want to ensure mod authors don't feel like you're taking DP from them, so you simply tell them you will turn DP off for the files you port OR you're willing to give them your DP for that ported file.

If anything, those mod authors should be more willing to give you permission to port their work based on the fact they'll receive more DP from their original work without having to do the port themselves.
Hilli1 wrote: Oh, Dark0ne himself. Thank you for clarification. I am relieved that I can turn DP off or give them away.

Let me say this closing: In the moment when money comes into play the page here will turn into something... different. People discussing here seriously how many percent from the DP they should get. This is the direction it goes. I don't like this trend.

I don't think so, because for what i see, you can do a lot with this DP points, for example, i ask for donations on my mods, just because i spend money on making them (software), so the donations help me, if there is the store front that i can use the DP point to renew my substance subscription, without the need to use money, i would love it! If i could take any DP i earn and donate to a mod author that i like (caliente for example :) ) i would do this and don't need to spend "real" money.

Of course mods that have lots of people involve can get problems, but this happens even without money, they can just agreed to donate the points, or will just have one more subject to fight.

please correct me if i'm wrong about this because i'm paranoid about "paid mods"

will this mean modders can make there mods "paid" like how the CC is all paid mods, or will this be "hey good modders get money from donations while the mods are still free for the users, aka, no paywall for mods"