Mod Author Donation System

Dark0ne

In response to post #56187486. #56203666, #56213196 are all replies on the same post.

EbokianKnight wrote: Niffty. I mean, I honestly don't care what you do with some spare ad revenue, so long as the site remains up and the goodies accessible when the mood strikes. If this drives up participation, neat.

It does seem a bit odd that if Nexus has a slow month, and say only 50 mods (for a really popular game) are made, and they're basically like random preset mods, or some other body slide something, or just someone doing a merge patch between two already popular mods: that they will be rewarded for far larger % of the pool, then perhaps an EPIC MOD that happened to come out during the same month as two other EPIC MODS.

I almost feel like the length of time under consideration should be more like quarterly to more fairly judge a broader swath of releases amongst each other. At first, I wanted to say annually, but that seems like an unreasonably long time, as sometimes modder's attention spans are just gone by then.

Will it be obvious to users on the download / main app page if a particular mod is subscribed to the scheme?
qwormuli wrote: Fair point, but sadly hard to implement. Worth discussing, though.
EbokianKnight wrote: There's is nothing hard to implement about changing a time scale from 1 month to 1 quarter. That's just a matter of when do you count and handle distribution. Also, it would not be hard to have an indicator (or not) about whether or not a mod is subscribed.

So I don't exactly know what you mean by it'll be hard to implement. The question is, are these points worthy of consideration by the moderators.

Yah that is kinda a downside. I mean the system is sorta fair in the another way too. in that is all kinda random, i mean some one could game the system and wait till the end of a very slow Month to release a mod. Which is fine i guess, but also from what i see, it seems like the Reward is not just based on a mods first month, but when ever it gets a unique download, so be it it's first day of release or like 5 years later. Now i do figure that that first month is were most download will come from, But maybe not. let me know if i misunderstood how the system will work in that regard.

Yah it would suck to have a big OverHaul that took teams of modders years to make get released at the same time as a bunch of other mods even if they are great other mods and then them end up with less Reward Points then the Modders that release during a month when their are only like a few mods released. But I guess that's why they are not taking away our ability to support/ donate to a Mod author or team directly. I think that was in the post or Robin Commented it, once again correct me if I'm wrong.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #56212271. #56214391, #56216251 are all replies on the same post.

FrankFamily wrote:

Modding is a hobby, not a job.

Huh, you seem to have no mods published in the nexus. Very interesting...
endgameaddiction wrote: Hate to break it to you Frank, but one doesn't need to upload mods specifically on Nexus, or even at all considering they mod for themselves to make a statement like that. Hell, not even mod at all if you've been around the mod scene for a long time. This only makes you look like you are riding your high horse and belittling anyone who doesn't have a mod released for the public on Nexus. Surely I could be wrong, right?

And modding is a hobby. The people wanting money of course thinks of modding as a job. Which makes me wonder why they even do it at all if modding is such a burden they require money for motivation at all.

Here's an idea, if you crave money so much, find an existing hobby out there that involves money. Once greed chimes in, it's too stubborn to go away. But what's more funny the very same modders who want money had no problem in the past taking in mods for free by others but surely enough when they do it, oh no, no, no. I demand to charge people because I deserve to be paid for my hard work. Even if I gained resources and knowledge by others for free.

Ethreon wrote: "Hate to break it to you Frank, but one doesn't need to upload mods specifically on Nexus, or even at all considering they mod for themselves to make a statement like that."

Yea, they just need to be able to connect to the internet to post. How does this nexus initiative stop modding from being a hobby? Is this another "modding is dead" thing?

Huh, you seem to have no mods published in the nexus. Very interesting...

Hate to break this to you (im pretty lazy) gamingaddict but experience is something of great importance. Im male and i would be an idiot if I told my mother how painful is giving birth same as she would be an idiot if she told me how a kick in the balls is.

Lame attempt at putting things in my mouth. im not belittling him for not having mods, im belittling him for what he wrote, which is already bad in itself. its noone's place to tell others what modding should be for them. But its even worse if the one saying this crap doesnt even have mods.

Now... greed, from that paragraph your post reaches unveliable levels of nonsense. You fail to grasp the difference between wanting to get some money for your hobby which is pretty awesome and "craving money" or "requiring money for motivation", im not sure if I can explain this. The difference between donations and "demanding to charge" flies well above your head. You might want to get on a higher horse.

As for learning from free resources, do youself a favor, learn something "semi-imdependently" and you might be able to see the magnitude and worth of two important factors in learning, the source of knowledge and personal effort. Time is money, every single work deserves payment and theres nothing wrong wIth wanting to monetize knowledge one has even if part of the learning was aided by free content.

Btw, I assume that, in your opinion, youtube channels based on gameplays shouldnt be monetized because "gaming is a hobby", right? That would be the coherent thought.

Tldr: Answering to the question at the end of your first paragraph, yes, you surely are wrong. Edited by FrankFamily

In response to post #56103896. #56125031, #56127321, #56179026, #56183806, #56187301, #56203821 are all replies on the same post.

Kajuan wrote: I guess I agree. I almost stop modding also cause this, users are not willing to even click an endorsement, imagine...
Endorsements, indeed, are around 5% / 10% of unique downloads, and the "thanks" even less. Too much hours of hard work on some mods for just this.
Even Nexusmods, I guess, lives upon something more tangible, and this also due to the modders work as well.
Asaforg wrote: As a fellow mod author, I just want to say I love and appreciate all your awesome work. :thumbsup: I would love if mods could be sorted with an endorsement to unique download ratio.
Kajuan wrote: Well, I don't expect an endorsement for each unique download really, like 1:1, cause someone could just download, try and delete the mod, but also a percent of 5%/10% looks like more a lazy thing by the most users, seen it is just as free as a click of mouse. Thank you Asaforg.
qwormuli wrote: Firstly, love your retextures. Next, i believe, that for most not endorsing is just inattention and forgetfulness, instead of laziness or anything nefarious. I, too, often go "wait, i HAVEN'T endorsed that?"
Kajuan wrote: More or less the same thing I suppose, call it inattention but, it is by more than 90% of the users. The percentage speaks for itself.
EbokianKnight wrote: Just saying... sometimes the lack of endorsements are not someone choosing NOT to say thanks. When I first started modding all those years ago, I would download literally everything, and just run through entire batches of stuff. I was all like – Let's try these 150 mods today! Then, I would play with some of them IG and then download another 150 and try something new the next day. Half the time I didn't remember where they all came from, and you can imagine the volume of WOW Those didn't play together.... that came along with this mass-style voyage into modding.

My, "you haven't endorsed this yet" list is so long it's basically a spam message I still get to this day. And no I haven't spent the hours it'll take to actually and fairly go back through that list. That said, I endorse bunches still. I just understand that out of those that download the mod (because Oh cool! click button is easy), maybe 50-60% might actually try it out. (because plugging one in is not always easy). Of those that try it out, half might remember that Nexus has an endorse button at all, and maybe half of those actually know that some modders care about it. In reality, I'd say that a 10-15% endorsements per unique download rate is AWESOME.

Thinking that you're going to get more out of the other chunk of users, is probably not realistic at all. Not because they're just heartless, but because modding is already a stressful thing to many people and even navigating back to the page might be a problem for them. Welcome to a CLICK DOWNLOAD counter. All it takes is some kid to go, OH NEAT CLICK. And then maybe they figure it out. This is the exact same reason we have all those PLZ READ BEFORE COMMENTING posts. Because descriptions are long / installations need to be basically automated for youthful attention spans.
qwormuli wrote: Well, i personally haze zero sympathies for people not reading the description, when they have something to ask. Sometimes even i can just gloss over a mod description before installing, but i wouldn't be caught dead asking for something stated in the modpage/readme. Re-reading them is the first step to troubleshooting, and it fixes a large part of all problems. With filling the bug report page(or comments with bug reports) you don't just inconveniece the author and other users, but even yourself. You can easily save time by reading it yourself, instead of asking about it and waiting for answers.

And don't get me started on the "will you do this for Xbone?" - people...

Kajuan, how many mods have you downloaded off of Nexus, how many mods are in your load order for the games you mod if you don't mind me asking? Edited by Guest

In response to post #56208246. #56208656, #56210846, #56214516 are all replies on the same post.

Vanguarde2017 wrote: Modding is a hobby, not a job.
Ethreon wrote: So?
LeonidasNerevar wrote: Does that mean no one should be rewarded for their work? The OP already said it won't allow you to quit your day job, just add a reward system. The way I see it, the money they're giving to mod authors is the money we give Nexus by viewing their ads, so it basically us directly rewarding modders. I think it's a fine idea if executed correctly.
Banadan wrote: Yes, it's a hobby which still takes time and resources. And I've made several donations to several mod authors because I am thankful that they spent their own time to create such amazing mods and keep them updated as the game changes, that their hobby makes my gaming experience so much better.

<Vanguarde2017> I build stuff for a hobby. If you thought, that i jump at the chance to build a deck for you out of my own pocket, because "i have a hobby and i should do it for free", you'd be stupid. If you said, that i should have no problem with you using my tools and not returning them to me, or breaking s#*&#33; and not giving a s#*&#33;, because it's just a hobby and not a job, you'd be stupid again. Now, if you said, that me liking a few beer and a pizza for coming and fixing s#*&#33; for you is ludicrous, you might also be saying something stupid.

Good thing, that you have said nothing stupid at all.
Edit: the recipient. Edited by qwormuli

In response to post #56181426. #56183116, #56186371, #56204166, #56204241, #56205146, #56205391, #56216681, #56216771 are all replies on the same post.

ComScreen wrote:

In response to post #56160276. #56166746, #56170356, #56171606, #56173686, #56177316 are all replies on the same post.

CyniclyPink wrote: I'm all for mod authors getting some reward for their efforts. Some have taken years to complete. I hope this works out OK.
Airbreathers wrote: I think you have the right idea.
SanguinBlack wrote: Except it is modder's choice to make a free mod, no one should be kept responsible for it but the modder. If they want money, this is not the site. And it should remain as user's choice to donate extra.
Ethreon wrote: Please outline the portion where you are being forced to do anything, be you modder or user.
Airbreathers wrote: i don't think saying this is not the site, Based on this post, It is the site, probably the only site that will reward you for doing what you love,

For you second point, its becoming more and more a parent that people don't read the actual post. This is Donation, Meaning you Give freely of your own heart or you do not,( which is in every way completely fine, not everyone can) That money is Basically donated to Nexus/ Community / Mod Makers at large. Nexus then Secretly divides up the Total donation, and then divvies it out to Modder based solely on a metric that can be tracked and is fair in the sense that basically in a real round-a-bout way now every person that downloaded the mod donated something like probably 1 cent (lets be real here) to the author.
SanguinBlack wrote: No. It is not the site. If it happens without my consent, -hell, If I did not order it specifically- it is forced.

"No. It is not the site. If it happens without my consent, -hell, If I did not order it specifically- it is forced."

Stop posting nonsense. The site owner doesn't have to ask you if he can implement features. This is in no way forced onto anyone and you're just blabbering at this point.

Yes, stop posting nonsense, and especially stop posting things that our friend has no rational, logical objection to make against whatsoever, it might make him feel a bit awkward.

Ethreon wrote: I bet you feel pretty awkward.
Airbreathers wrote: I'm Not worried about his View anymore. I'm 1000% sure he's Trolling. So ill disregard anything else he post on this subject. I mean there is no way he doesn't realize that he doesn't run this site, nor it's users. He's not some kinda scary mind controlling god, well at least to the best of my knowledge.

We now have something far more important to deal with, something that actually could and probably will hurt the community, ModDrop. This is something the 2,371,146,881 users of this site, Need to stand up against.
qwormuli wrote: Is there Anything unsavoury About this moddrop, that is not obviously apparent? My knowledge about it is limited to their advertisement video, which makes it look like another mod hosting site.
LeonidasNerevar wrote: I just went to the ModDrop page and watched their trailer and read the site. Are you worried that ModDrop will pull users away from downloading from Nexus and switch to ModDrop? When I first started modding I would have loved installing with one click. Is ModDrop a bad thing simply because it's not Nexus?
qwormuli wrote: Delved a bit into it. It's a cesspool, plain and simple. it steals the original creations in unsupported and often shifty messes, which i wouldn't want to inflict on my computer. No credibility, no theft protection(the other way around, in fact), no real moderation, no virus protection or detection, no real community to detect and oust these to provide some herd immunity, not to mention some heavy and backed allegations of the creator being an extremely damaging serial thief and an impersonator. Wouldn't touch with a ten feet pole.
EnaiSiaion wrote: No, it's a bad thing because their business model is based on people uploading stolen mods so they can plaster ads and get revenue.
Airbreathers wrote: Thanks guys i havn't checked on this to make sure people understood what i ment. thanks for having my back there.qwormuli and EnaiSiaion. kudos to you both
Airbreathers wrote: To LeonidasNerevar, No My issue is definitely not that its just another site then the Nexus... that would be very dumb of me, Nope. In fact i occasionally uses a few other sites. i just have such a big issue with modDrop Because it is a Cesspool, like qwormuli said. He said it well.

After doing a bit more research (which I should have done BEFORE posting my first comment) I found out that you're exactly right. Gamer Poets said the same thing. It's dirty, dishonest and piracy. No good. Thanks for bringing up the subject in the first place and spreading the word. Edited by LeonidasNerevar

This seems like a good idea overall, as long as you make sure that the system and, ideally, the script used for the calculation is entirely transparent to everyone, not everyone is going to see this article after all.

Additionally, it would be nice to have an option not to gamify the system, by not opting in to that, like you suggested.

Edited by GigaBoy4545

Won't the only winners be the first top ten downloads every month, which will be the same popular mod authors every time? (This is not a gripe, as they deserve the donations)

Would you consider adding a "Donate" button to the top panel of the mod page next to "Endorse" as the donation section is almost lost now in the new layout? And I mean an easily seen, highlighted button. Since the new layout, donations have dropped significantly.

If you opted in, would you still be able to keep the separate "Donate" section?

Edited by Rigmor

Neat, an actual excuse to work on my projects again, although it doesn't seem like it'd do much good unless you're one of the most popular authors. Still worth looking into I suppose. Edited by Tentain

In response to post #56208246. #56208656, #56210846, #56214516, #56228636 are all replies on the same post.

Vanguarde2017 wrote: Modding is a hobby, not a job.
Ethreon wrote: So?
LeonidasNerevar wrote: Does that mean no one should be rewarded for their work? The OP already said it won't allow you to quit your day job, just add a reward system. The way I see it, the money they're giving to mod authors is the money we give Nexus by viewing their ads, so it basically us directly rewarding modders. I think it's a fine idea if executed correctly.
Banadan wrote: Yes, it's a hobby which still takes time and resources. And I've made several donations to several mod authors because I am thankful that they spent their own time to create such amazing mods and keep them updated as the game changes, that their hobby makes my gaming experience so much better.
qwormuli wrote: <Vanguarde2017> I build stuff for a hobby. If you thought, that i jump at the chance to build a deck for you out of my own pocket, because "i have a hobby and i should do it for free", you'd be stupid. If you said, that i should have no problem with you using my tools and not returning them to me, or breaking s#*&#33; and not giving a s#*&#33;, because it's just a hobby and not a job, you'd be stupid again. Now, if you said, that me liking a few beer and a pizza for coming and fixing s#*&#33; for you is ludicrous, you might also be saying something stupid.

Good thing, that you have said nothing stupid at all.
Edit: the recipient.

Seeing as decent quality mods take upto about a thousand+ hours to complete-
it's just insane to expect mod authors to be endlessly content with just working off comments like: "lol nice mod", "The music sucks", "This is my favorite mod, I install it every year.".

I've logged 825 hours in the Skyrim Creation kit essentially making a few fairly simple mods; and more or less got nothing from it as I don't even play Skyrim anymore and just try to keep my fans a bit happy every year when they go to check to see what's new.. Edited by Tentain

In response to post #56235636.

Tentain wrote: Neat, an actual excuse to work on my projects again, although it doesn't seem like it'd do much good unless you're one of the most popular authors. Still worth looking into I suppose.

those most popular authors had to start somewhere. Before they where super popular they wern't, I guess is a good way to say it. can't wait to see your project.