Mod Author Donation System

Dark0ne

i would really like to see paypal added, that has been the onlything preventing me from donating over the years. well mostly the wife get funny about money online, but she is cool as long as its thru paypal.

Paypal is how you donate already. In fact, it's the only way you can or have ever been able to donate through this site.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait, no one is getting rich off this?! Wth?!

giphy.gif

:tongue:

Seriously, though, I think Nexus now has bigger issues to worry about, as does the SKSE64 team, now that Intel sh*t the bed with their "patch" for a security flaw on the hardware side that they didn't know about for ten years. So that makes the above sentiment look something more like this:

computer-crash.gif

That aside (stay on topic, twowolves), I think the mod donation system is a good idea, and yeah, there are some issues to work out as they come up, if they come up. I trust the admins, though, to be pretty on top of it. I don't really see people making a lot of tiny mods; you'd have to sink a lot of time into it and it's not worth the effort. No one is getting rich off this system.

Now, about making an Etsy-style backpage for Nexus...lol One step at a time. :D

Edited by twowolves80

In response to post #56144671. #56145561, #56147231, #56147766 are all replies on the same post.

OutLaw666 wrote: So you are telling us that people who previously would have had donated to the modauthor directly now have to donate to the nexus. And then the nexus decides who gets the money.
Well played! Well played indeed.
Ethreon wrote: The article said that at no point.
OutLaw666 wrote: Quote: "...,we are also working on enabling users of Nexus Mods to contribute into this monthly pool, so that any and all users of Nexus Mods can choose to donate into the total pool for that month if they so wish."

I suppose this will replace the donation system we currently have.
Finaldeath1689 wrote: If they were getting rid of normal donations and replacing it with this they would have said so.

They even encourage you to use the old donation system instead if you want to support a specific author. Also with the new system you (or we) are still the one(s) deciding (through the downloads). No need to be playing doomsayer for now.

My experience was kind of rough to trust some of the mod makers. Sure I have like 2-3 mods and 4 more in the works, even working on a large one in a team effort, but when I bust my butt to make my mod dependent on a persons mod. and that so called authors throw a hissey fit and pull or hide there mod.

then the work I have done is worthless sharing with the community also since new users can not get the resources to run the the mod.

1. do I go out of my way to trust any of their work again? leaving myself open to get burned again also? and users of my mod?
2. they think they are making a point but they are just creating a dis trust for themselves when they share things up front. now that money was involved it made a mess of some things.

it use to be a buzz for endorsements, and most downloads, and being most popular but some how in there minds they converted endorsements into owed/loss income?

---

anyway I hope the best if somehow nexus site stands between the users and the moders on getting proper recognition.

ONE RULE I ASK, I understand nexusmods trying to in a way protect the mod makers, but if they opt in to this as tit for tat exclusive only upload on nexusmods for compensation of shared/work
THEN
nexusmods also needs to protect the other moders as much that point to such said works that are pointing at these hissy fit people hiding or pulling works in the future. they are not just making a point to the public users, but also burning other peoples contributions too. "have some kind of opt in thing rules"

something like if you expose yourself to use, DONT go off pulling or hiding and screwing all the other modders that got ZERO donations propping up your mods in the first place too, well if there are any. just something to think about.
maybe some moders should have a free sample of like 10 weapons, and say want more, donate and get my 50 weapon collections or what ever. if thats what they are pushing for?

OR make a rule if people go pulling and hiding mods because someone stole there sweet roll or they took an arrow in the knee from criticism , they get banned or lose privilege of ever being in the system to receive any achievements. I think both sides need to understand the sword cuts both ways, and you can not have your cake and the other persons and eat both slices at the end of the day.

Edited by mangarian

In response to post #56262141. #56262426, #56262576, #56262581, #56262936, #56263031, #56263146, #56266491, #56267106, #56267256, #56274311, #56277726, #56280516, #56292401, #56330506, #56342966 are all replies on the same post.

Ashes2Asherz wrote: So basically the Nexus will decide who is rewarded in this elite group of modders? One thing us Americans hate the most is when others create elitist groups and give them what they want while crapping on the rest of the people. I'm absolutely certain when all is said and done this will drive away American users.
Ethreon wrote: You don't really help brighten the image Americans have outside.
Ashes2Asherz wrote: lol i don't exactly make the best poster child I suppose
Ashes2Asherz wrote: lol i don't exactly make the best poster child I suppose...

err it double post.. maybe they should focus on optimizing this new site to not be so slow and buggy before taking on their version of paid mods.. ;)
Ethreon wrote: It would be in your best interest to read the article again, carefully.
Zodiac19 wrote: American here and not driven out. It just means that if a mod author is really good with what they do and keep making mods worth downloading then they have the potential to be compensated for it eventually. that means it's not set or fixed whether or not a modder will receive a reward, or that it will only remain a certain group of modders each time because as soon as one mod has support from every user on the site then the modder has to start over just to get points, meaning the next top modder with the points will be next etc.
Ashes2Asherz wrote: it would be your best interest to read in between the lines.. Who do you think this will hurt the most? Most likely the modders that rely on 3rd party assets to create mods and those that use them.. There is already much more greed on the Nexus than any other modding site.. They introduce a money pool to certain users then you better believe that many of those modders that once shared their work to be used in other peoples projects will clamp down and stop giving permission in hopes to gain more of the money pool for themselves.. It would definitely stun the growth of the modding community and make it so only a very few will benefit while the rest will lose interest and move on..
Augusta Calidia wrote: Nexus doesn't decide who is rewarded - we the people do by downloading mods. Each unique download of a participating mod is a vote cast for that mod. That's not a policy that would drive this American user away.

Furthermore, who comprises "this elite group of modders" of whom you speak? Am I supposed to exercise an ability to "read in between the lines" and discover that Nexus is in cahoots with a core group of favored mod authors on whom Dark0ne wishes to shower gifts? This, of course, is nonsense, because Nexus doesn't decide who participates in the Mod Author Donation Program. The individual mod author decides that for her/himself.
Ashes2Asherz wrote: What's wrong with donating to the author you like to begin with? Why does the Nexus or Nexus community have to make that decision for you?
Ethreon wrote: Again, go read the article. You obviously haven't.
CluckenDip wrote: Strayaaa!!!
iubee wrote: sure bring a little heat to this post
HomicidalGrouse wrote:
What's wrong with donating to the author you like to begin with? Why does the Nexus or Nexus community have to make that decision for you?

Nothing is preventing people from continuing to not do that after the implementation of this system.
Airbreathers wrote: As an American, i am well versed in spotting fear mongering. Ashes, your post is fear mongering, your post take this system out of context completely. The people decide not the nexus, and for your read between the lines idea, the authors can decide how to split the points. think about it like this you have a great mod that works a a base of key feature of many others, we can all think of a few. Now lets say that author tells people that if they want to use that mod they need to give them 50% of the reward points. That might be steep to most, at some point another author will create an alternative and maybe ask for like 10% or 5%, that mod becomes the norm, the community stables out, I mean it becomes a free market of ideas, where they rise and fall based on quality and value not just popularity and "elitism".

the way i put it may sound scary to some, but i put on my big "scary" American capitalist hat ( I don't think its scary) to lay it out in another very American way. You know seeing as we are a wide and diverse nation with many people with differing ideals, like like everywhere else likely in that regard, meaning it's hard to speak for everyone, Basically impossible.
Dark0ne wrote:
Nothing is preventing people from continuing to not do that after the implementation of this system.

You made me laugh out loud while eating breakfast. Congrats.
JoeBlow90 wrote: You must be joking about 'Mericans creating "elitist" groups.... lmao...

What do you the "American way of life" means???

If there is something that 'Mericans are good at, is creating ELITIST groups...

WTH?
Whats with the nationality hating?

Any person who wants to scam, be elitist, a hater, comes from anywhere. How are we going to rationally discuss ANYTHING, with this mantra? Please refrain from bashing our nationality. Edited by Ashenfire

I have been using this site long enough to see a change for the better. I see an attempt to make modding still fun and still give appreciation to modders. I am still looking around the site for clues why this site is being classified as greedy. I am perplexed. I have read in some of the comments that accuses this site of being greedy. Without pointing anyone out, I would like to ask, in general discussion terms; why is Nexus greedy. Why is the attempt to 'pat a mod author on the back' wrong?

2. I also agree with the contention that the reward system would be nice to reward people who make support tools (.bat .exe. .cmd) that make modding easier to do.

Let me buy and spend Donation Points.

I'd like to donate to encourage modders to continue their work or maintain quality. However I refuse to have a PayPal account, for various reasons. I'd rather buy Donation Points in a one-time credit card transaction and then spend these Donation Points myself.

Edited by badibeat

In response to post #56262141. #56262426, #56262576, #56262581, #56262936, #56263031, #56263146, #56266491, #56267106, #56267256, #56274311, #56277726, #56280516, #56292401, #56330506, #56342966, #56613381 are all replies on the same post.

Ashes2Asherz wrote: So basically the Nexus will decide who is rewarded in this elite group of modders? One thing us Americans hate the most is when others create elitist groups and give them what they want while crapping on the rest of the people. I'm absolutely certain when all is said and done this will drive away American users.
Ethreon wrote: You don't really help brighten the image Americans have outside.
Ashes2Asherz wrote: lol i don't exactly make the best poster child I suppose
Ashes2Asherz wrote: lol i don't exactly make the best poster child I suppose...

err it double post.. maybe they should focus on optimizing this new site to not be so slow and buggy before taking on their version of paid mods.. ;)
Ethreon wrote: It would be in your best interest to read the article again, carefully.
Zodiac19 wrote: American here and not driven out. It just means that if a mod author is really good with what they do and keep making mods worth downloading then they have the potential to be compensated for it eventually. that means it's not set or fixed whether or not a modder will receive a reward, or that it will only remain a certain group of modders each time because as soon as one mod has support from every user on the site then the modder has to start over just to get points, meaning the next top modder with the points will be next etc.
Ashes2Asherz wrote: it would be your best interest to read in between the lines.. Who do you think this will hurt the most? Most likely the modders that rely on 3rd party assets to create mods and those that use them.. There is already much more greed on the Nexus than any other modding site.. They introduce a money pool to certain users then you better believe that many of those modders that once shared their work to be used in other peoples projects will clamp down and stop giving permission in hopes to gain more of the money pool for themselves.. It would definitely stun the growth of the modding community and make it so only a very few will benefit while the rest will lose interest and move on..
Augusta Calidia wrote: Nexus doesn't decide who is rewarded - we the people do by downloading mods. Each unique download of a participating mod is a vote cast for that mod. That's not a policy that would drive this American user away.

Furthermore, who comprises "this elite group of modders" of whom you speak? Am I supposed to exercise an ability to "read in between the lines" and discover that Nexus is in cahoots with a core group of favored mod authors on whom Dark0ne wishes to shower gifts? This, of course, is nonsense, because Nexus doesn't decide who participates in the Mod Author Donation Program. The individual mod author decides that for her/himself.
Ashes2Asherz wrote: What's wrong with donating to the author you like to begin with? Why does the Nexus or Nexus community have to make that decision for you?
Ethreon wrote: Again, go read the article. You obviously haven't.
CluckenDip wrote: Strayaaa!!!
iubee wrote: sure bring a little heat to this post
HomicidalGrouse wrote:
What's wrong with donating to the author you like to begin with? Why does the Nexus or Nexus community have to make that decision for you?

Airbreathers wrote: As an American, i am well versed in spotting fear mongering. Ashes, your post is fear mongering, your post take this system out of context completely. The people decide not the nexus, and for your read between the lines idea, the authors can decide how to split the points. think about it like this you have a great mod that works a a base of key feature of many others, we can all think of a few. Now lets say that author tells people that if they want to use that mod they need to give them 50% of the reward points. That might be steep to most, at some point another author will create an alternative and maybe ask for like 10% or 5%, that mod becomes the norm, the community stables out, I mean it becomes a free market of ideas, where they rise and fall based on quality and value not just popularity and "elitism".

the way i put it may sound scary to some, but i put on my big "scary" American capitalist hat ( I don't think its scary) to lay it out in another very American way. You know seeing as we are a wide and diverse nation with many people with differing ideals, like like everywhere else likely in that regard, meaning it's hard to speak for everyone, Basically impossible.
Dark0ne wrote:

You made me laugh out loud while eating breakfast. Congrats.
JoeBlow90 wrote: You must be joking about 'Mericans creating "elitist" groups.... lmao...

What do you the "American way of life" means???

If there is something that 'Mericans are good at, is creating ELITIST groups...
Ashenfire wrote: WTH?
Whats with the nationality hating?

Any person who wants to scam, be elitist, a hater, comes from anywhere. How are we going to rationally discuss ANYTHING, with this mantra? Please refrain from bashing our nationality.

Please don't come on here and report to speak for all Americans. I have zero issue with this system and don't buy into that "creating elitist" group crap. Edited by TehKaoZ

I have one very serious issue with this: This system seems like it can be heavily gamed. Like with YouTube's algorithm, we likely won't find anything solid to work with, though. If this is based on total unique downloads, then the mod authors that become featured or make slooty content will obviously garner all of the attention. On top of the issues with featured mods, the bigger issue is I'd rather see this used for the mod authors that actually do more than just toss around a few sliders and vertices in RaceMenu and BodySlide before uploading clickbait, which let's face it, is usually at least 20% of the featured mods list on Nexus at any given time. While I do think there's something to appreciate in presets and unvoiced followers, I also believe that the creation process of these mod types are easy enough to simply be considered more of a "patch" than an actual mod, not to mention the fact these usually use a massive amount of other modder's assets like skins, models, and even clothes. As for the featured mods list, there really isn't a concrete solution because being on that list -usually- means you've earned it and nixxing the feature will upset pretty much everybody...

being on that list -usually- means you've earned it

I think you are confusing your personal and subjective notions of "worth" with the objective metric in use both in the current hotfiles and in this proposed system. It's actually one of the few metrics that make sense - because everyone and their dog are going to have a different opinion on what is "worthy".