Mod Author Donation System

Dark0ne

In response to post #56103671.

Edsh0t wrote: While I agree with many here that wish that we went back to the good ol' days where people simply shared for the sake of sharing and anything online was free, the dull, hard reality is that we live in a global capitalistic society, an increasingly capitalistic society at that. As such i think its only fair that the people that put their time, effort and money into bringing joy and novelty into our games get some sort of recognition and perhaps monetary compensation. A patreon would be nice,but having a system from the site itself, like they are proposing, is way better.
I know my opinion doesn't count much, since I'm a user and not a modder, but I find the fact that the Nexus team is willing to pony up cash themselves for this is a great gesture. As for the comments about popularity and the like, well, modding popularity IS earned through quality, so there's that. As for the hostile modders and users, simply ignore them? It's what I do, and honestly they seem like a vast minority.

Nostalgia goggles are a fine piece innit? People always cared about what's theirs, and sharing was never happening to any great extents. We've always tried to find ways to make something out of our hobbies and passions.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #56096151. #56096866, #56097731, #56102286 are all replies on the same post.

yanuage wrote: it looks far from the intention of those who invented the internet and wanted a free and unlimited sharing of immaterial goods.

What is the point of inventing imaginary copyrights for virtual dress when there is none in the real world of fashion or in the legislation of most countries?
Dark0ne wrote: I have absolutely no idea what you're going on about.
fredlaus wrote: I guess yanuage is talking about different cultures and I can easily see his point.
Augusta Calidia wrote: What "immaterial goods" are you talking about? In fact, what are you talking about at all? There may be a substantive point to this comment, but it eludes me.

Ah, the "How can mod author permissions be real if our eyes aren't real?" argument.

It will be interesting to see how this works out. It sounds like a pretty good idea so far. I likely won't opt-in as I wouldn't even get a penny a month, but there are some authors that could really benefit from this.

In response to post #56102081.

Lollia wrote: After reading the announcement, I have two questions.

1: If a mod that has indeed been stolen by others is only discovered after the grace period of three months, will there be some sort of ban on the guilty "creator" that prohibits them from receiving more points on any additional mods they upload? Like a probationary period or a permanent block from the point system?

2: Will there be stricter guidelines for mods that have little to no description? I have seen mod pages that are so blank that you have to download the mod just to find out what it does. I've actually seen mod authors actively encourage such action, rather than just create a proper description to begin with.

For #1 I imagine they would be outright banned and the mod removed, so they wouldn't get any more points.

Though I'm not happy with donations at all I can live with that system. Many authors today seems to want donations, so we need a system and I cannot imagine a better one. I would never in my crazy dreams accept donations for mods, but I guess I'm very very old fashioned.

In response to post #56103671.

Edsh0t wrote: While I agree with many here that wish that we went back to the good ol' days where people simply shared for the sake of sharing and anything online was free, the dull, hard reality is that we live in a global capitalistic society, an increasingly capitalistic society at that. As such i think its only fair that the people that put their time, effort and money into bringing joy and novelty into our games get some sort of recognition and perhaps monetary compensation. A patreon would be nice,but having a system from the site itself, like they are proposing, is way better.

I know my opinion doesn't count much, since I'm a user and not a modder, but I find the fact that the Nexus team is willing to pony up cash themselves for this is a great gesture. As for the comments about popularity and the like, well, modding popularity IS earned through quality, so there's that. As for the hostile modders and users, simply ignore them? It's what I do, and honestly they seem like a vast minority.

Nostalgia goggles are a fine piece innit? People always cared about what's theirs, and sharing was never happening to any great extents. We've always tried to find ways to make something out of our hobbies and passions.

Really? I never tried to make something out of my hobbies and I never will, because for me it would be spoiled then. And yes it is nostalgia but when I began modding 20 years ago nobody talks about donations or payment. It's finished, that's live, but allow me to regret it.

In response to post #56103671. #56104066 is also a reply to the same post.

Ethreon wrote: Nostalgia goggles are a fine piece innit? People always cared about what's theirs, and sharing was never happening to any great extents. We've always tried to find ways to make something out of our hobbies and passions.

From the glass half full perspective, I hope that this sort of rewards system will encourage a new set of quality mods and authors that wouldn't have stepped into the scene otherwise. Hard to say how it all will play out, but I think it's worth a shot.

In response to post #56103626. #56105226, #56106661 are all replies on the same post.

Arjuna76 wrote: First of all, let me be clear: I don't care! I never had more than 3k download, so, at least for me, we're talking about earning 5 dollars! It's not the kind of money you can get angry about.

That said, I must say your system is deeply flawed. Without looking at anybody else, I myself released mods I made in one single day, and I'm now about to release a mod that took more than one year to create, with 124 armors, 64 of which have 2 or more versions. How can you possibly compare the 1-day mods with such a huge project? How could I get the same amount of (ridiculous) money from the two mods? And what stops me from creating 188 different mods one for each armor or version and get if not 188 at least 100 more DP and so money? Of course I won't do it, but with this method you encourage this kind of silly modding.

I don't find this idea so good, both because the amount of money is ridiculous (and so completely useless in encouraging more work form modders) and because it is very badly implemented.
sullyivan wrote: As a lover of larger mods that include a lot of thought out content, I'm more willing to download those than smaller mods that would add an unreadable in game inscribed etching to the edge of gold coins and the like. Usually these same larger mods tend to also consider comparability with other mods and testing to discover what mods conflict and even sharing those results. The more mods that are installed, means usually a decrease in stability. If you put out 188 different mods, I doubt that I would download one of them, unless there was just one that I had to have because it fit a particular nitch for my style of mods.

I'd say a lot of smaller mods get ignored, but some get a lot attention because of what they offer, even if it changes some little aspect that is almost insignificant, like changing the look of the edge of a coin, for some known or unknown reason.

Just by your mod project, I am already looking forward to check it out.

Either way, I'd say that the little bit you might end up with can just be a nice 'extra' for saying thank you for contribution to the community.
Arjuna76 wrote: Double post.

I understand your point, I too prefer bigger mods, but my point is not wrong either, especially when we're talking about textures. You can be very satisfied in downloading even one only armour's texture at a time, without any compatibility problem and with maybe the option to merge them if they belong to the same pack. I've been a little exaggerated, of course, but I could have very easily divide this big mod in 6 parts and get x6 DP and money (again, I would never do that).

Finally, I never intended to say that this idea is wrong, only I find it a bit useless, that's all. It's not by knowing that you could earn some 5 or 50 dollars that you could be any more encouraged to work one year on a project.

I'm glad you're interested in my project. Check the new mod list by the end of the week, it should be there. Edited by Arjuna76

In response to post #56103626. #56105226, #56106651 are all replies on the same post.

Arjuna76 wrote: First of all, let me be clear: I don't care! I never had more than 3k download, so, at least for me, we're talking about earning 5 dollars! It's not the kind of money you can get angry about.

That said, I must say your system is deeply flawed. Without looking at anybody else, I myself released mods I made in one single day, and I'm now about to release a mod that took more than one year to create, with 124 armors, 64 of which have 2 or more versions. How can you possibly compare the 1-day mods with such a huge project? How could I get the same amount of (ridiculous) money from the two mods? And what stops me from creating 188 different mods one for each armor or version and get if not 188 at least 100 more DP and so money? Of course I won't do it, but with this method you encourage this kind of silly modding.

I don't find this idea so good, both because the amount of money is ridiculous (and so completely useless in encouraging more work form modders) and because it is very badly implemented.
sullyivan wrote: As a lover of larger mods that include a lot of thought out content, I'm more willing to download those than smaller mods that would add an unreadable in game inscribed etching to the edge of gold coins and the like. Usually these same larger mods tend to also consider comparability with other mods and testing to discover what mods conflict and even sharing those results. The more mods that are installed, means usually a decrease in stability. If you put out 188 different mods, I doubt that I would download one of them, unless there was just one that I had to have because it fit a particular nitch for my style of mods.

I'd say a lot of smaller mods get ignored, but some get a lot attention because of what they offer, even if it changes some little aspect that is almost insignificant, like changing the look of the edge of a coin, for some known or unknown reason.

Just by your mod project, I am already looking forward to check it out.

Either way, I'd say that the little bit you might end up with can just be a nice 'extra' for saying thank you for contribution to the community.
Arjuna76 wrote: I understand your point, I too prefer bigger mods, but my point is not wrong either, especially when we're talking about textures. You can be very satisfied in downloading even one only armour's texture at a time, without any compatibility problem and with maybe the option to merge them if they belong to the same pack. I've been a little exaggerated, of course, but I could have very easily divide this big mod in 6 parts and get x6 DP and money (again, I wouldn't ever do that).

Finally, I never intended to say that this idea is wrong, only I find it a bit useless, that's all. It's not by knowing that you could earn some 5 or 50 dollars that you could be any more encouraged to work one year on a project.

I'm glad you're interested in my project. Check the new mod list by the end of the week, it should be there.

Double post. Edited by Arjuna76

In response to post #56081996. #56082276, #56082736, #56082851, #56104651 are all replies on the same post.

JimmyRJump wrote: I like the overall concept, although for SSE this could prove a bit of a hornet's nest with a lot of "modders" adapting restrictionless Skyrim2011 mods for the SE version.

What I'd like to know is if folk willing to donate to the pool will be able to do so on an automated basis for a fix amount per month, like the recurring fee paid for Supporter/Premium status?
nesbit098 wrote: Interesting point of view....
ousnius wrote: The opt-in will be off by default for each mod page. That means, people won't be allowed to make "points" off of porting SSE mods, unless the author specifically enables the permissions option for it.
JimmyRJump wrote: Thanks for the clarifcation, Ousnius.
sullyivan wrote: I'd prefer to donate funds directly to the pool on a monthly basis that would be a recurring automated process. This would be a great option. Great idea.

I personally don’t see a problem with an sse porter like myself receiving donations this way or the old way. You know it’s not like there is an easy button you press and miraculously an oldrim mod is now an sse mod. It takes hours of work and that’s not including the time it takes to properly support said mod. Please folks don’t be hatin on porters.