Mod Author Donation System

Dark0ne

In response to post #56108736.

StickySock wrote:

@ bchick3: I'm not arguing that the split needs to be 50/50, it just seems like the community could easily decide what seems fair (whatever ratio it ends up being), or the nexus people could put a system where two authors can agree on a split (probably a better idea, so that teams who work together on a big project can all benefit according to whatever agreement they come to). It benefits you to split your income with the original creators for the simple fact that they would be more willing and likely to give you permission to port in the first place. If authors can give permission with small royalties to people who want to port their mods or use their assets, then there is an incentive for authors to share their work.

Yeah I don’t know why I’m bitchin about it anyway. It’s not like I’m going to say no if someone wants me to port something for them. The universe will unfold as it’s supposed to. I guess it was just the thought that some folks think it’s superveasy to port a mod that got my panties in a wad. Edited by bchick3

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #56081996. #56082276, #56082736, #56082851, #56104651, #56106911, #56107726, #56108276 are all replies on the same post.

JimmyRJump wrote: I like the overall concept, although for SSE this could prove a bit of a hornet's nest with a lot of "modders" adapting restrictionless Skyrim2011 mods for the SE version.

What I'd like to know is if folk willing to donate to the pool will be able to do so on an automated basis for a fix amount per month, like the recurring fee paid for Supporter/Premium status?
nesbit098 wrote: Interesting point of view....
ousnius wrote: The opt-in will be off by default for each mod page. That means, people won't be allowed to make "points" off of porting SSE mods, unless the author specifically enables the permissions option for it.
JimmyRJump wrote: Thanks for the clarifcation, Ousnius.
sullyivan wrote: I'd prefer to donate funds directly to the pool on a monthly basis that would be a recurring automated process. This would be a great option. Great idea.
bchick3 wrote: I personally don’t see a problem with an sse porter like myself receiving donations this way or the old way. You know it’s not like there is an easy button you press and miraculously an oldrim mod is now an sse mod. It takes hours of work and that’s not including the time it takes to properly support said mod. Please folks don’t be hatin on porters.
JimmyRJump wrote: @bchick3

Well, for a lot of small mods, the SSECK *IS* a magic button of kinds. I was referring to mods from modders who didn't have any restrictions on what was done with their mods. And with all due respect and certainly without any meaning of spreading *hate*, but whatever the time it takes to port a mod, it's still "just" a port and not original work. If the result of your port differs so much from the original then in my eyes it's no longer a port but a new mod that uses assets from what was the original.

If the amount of time spent on doing something should be taken into acount, well, then I want in on the action for spending hours to upload a few screenshots because of going back and forth to get the links for the mods I use in my game that are representative for the way the screenie looks.

Again, my comment was absolutely not intended to look down on "porters" but to raise the issue that it could prove more complicated than first thought to sort who is due what and what for. I'm not the kind of guy who's first downloading ported mods like a madman to then form a committee against the people who do the porting. I love mods and appreciate the people putting in the effort, but when it comes to recompense this better be thought out to within the most minute details or we risk running out of modders and porters because they could say, "well, if it's like this then I won't bother anymore". It has always struck me as odd that, from the moment there's money involved, things tend to go pear-shaped because of folk feeling entitled and getting nought, people getting jealous because "they" get some and "we" get nought,etc...

The issue at hand is to set up a system that is fair towards everyone, not to start a smearing campaign. We're talking games here, not politics.

And as important (to me) is the question about a possible automated contribution from non-modders towards the main pool of septims that will go towards the modders, if/when non-modders will be allowed to contribute money at all.
bchick3 wrote: Yeah I see your point and it’s not like I’m getting rich off donations I just dont want porters to get a raw deal here. It really does take some work to get mods ported. I f you don’t believe me give it a try. I’m not saying original authors should not get a percentage. Just that it should be a lower percentage. Otherwise it’s like you said, I will lose incentive to do ports at all. I do want to help people enjoy sse and that’s why I started porting some of the best mods. I have ported over 200 mods and I hate to think that would lose the ability for folks to show thier gratitude. Quite a lot of them were done by request. AnywY that’s my two cents

@bchick3
That's what I meant with "from the moment there's money involved things go pear-shaped" because you're already on that path with claiming that not getting anything will make you lose the incentive to continue porting. Well, first off, money should NEVER be the incentive, even when you do this for a living, and second, which ties in with the first, until now you did it because you wanted to do it, for free and at no cost, so, why all of a sudden stop when there's no money in it for you?

Mind you, when it depended on me, everybody would profit. I was and am speaking from within the proposed system here. I'm not at all proposing that only original modders or porters that make a mod their own by drastic changes should get a share of whatever pecunary amount is available.

Also keep in mind that this is not a done deal yet as is. Tinkering will need to and shall be done. Compromises will possibly have to be made. And heads will have to be kept cool when a nice mod -new or ported- that has cost a lot of effort gets only a couple of dozen endorsements and still brings the author zero point whatever in cash...

Because it's not like this is gonna make some modders rich and steep others into poverty. In the end, if any kind of benevolent payment is implemented, the differences in bank account levels will be minimum and this whole discussion will probably be looked back upon with weary smiles a few weeks/months from now. Edited by JimmyRJump

In response to post #56081996. #56082276, #56082736, #56082851, #56104651, #56106911, #56107726, #56108276, #56109611 are all replies on the same post.

JimmyRJump wrote: I like the overall concept, although for SSE this could prove a bit of a hornet's nest with a lot of "modders" adapting restrictionless Skyrim2011 mods for the SE version.

What I'd like to know is if folk willing to donate to the pool will be able to do so on an automated basis for a fix amount per month, like the recurring fee paid for Supporter/Premium status?
ousnius wrote: The opt-in will be off by default for each mod page. That means, people won't be allowed to make "points" off of porting SSE mods, unless the author specifically enables the permissions option for it.
sullyivan wrote: I'd prefer to donate funds directly to the pool on a monthly basis that would be a recurring automated process. This would be a great option. Great idea.
bchick3 wrote: I personally don’t see a problem with an sse porter like myself receiving donations this way or the old way. You know it’s not like there is an easy button you press and miraculously an oldrim mod is now an sse mod. It takes hours of work and that’s not including the time it takes to properly support said mod. Please folks don’t be hatin on porters.

Well, for a lot of small mods, the SSECK *IS* a magic button of kinds. I was referring to mods from modders who didn't have any restrictions on what was done with their mods. And with all due respect and certainly without any meaning of spreading *hate*, but whatever the time it takes to port a mod, it's still "just" a port and not original work. If the result of your port differs so much from the original then in my eyes it's no longer a port but a new mod that uses assets from what was the original.

If the amount of time spent on doing something should be taken into acount, well, then I want in on the action for spending hours to upload a few screenshots because of going back and forth to get the links for the mods I use in my game that are representative for the way the screenie looks.

Again, my comment was absolutely not intended to look down on "porters" but to raise the issue that it could prove more complicated than first thought to sort who is due what and what for. I'm not the kind of guy who's first downloading ported mods like a madman to then form a committee against the people who do the porting. I love mods and appreciate the people putting in the effort, but when it comes to recompense this better be thought out to within the most minute details or we risk running out of modders and porters because they could say, "well, if it's like this then I won't bother anymore". It has always struck me as odd that, from the moment there's money involved, things tend to go pear-shaped because of folk feeling entitled and getting nought, people getting jealous because "they" get some and "we" get nought,etc...

The issue at hand is to set up a system that is fair towards everyone, not to start a smearing campaign. We're talking games here, not politics.

And as important (to me) is the question about a possible automated contribution from non-modders towards the main pool of septims that will go towards the modders, if/when non-modders will be allowed to contribute money at all.
bchick3 wrote: Yeah I see your point and it’s not like I’m getting rich off donations I just dont want porters to get a raw deal here. It really does take some work to get mods ported. I f you don’t believe me give it a try. I’m not saying original authors should not get a percentage. Just that it should be a lower percentage. Otherwise it’s like you said, I will lose incentive to do ports at all. I do want to help people enjoy sse and that’s why I started porting some of the best mods. I have ported over 200 mods and I hate to think that would lose the ability for folks to show thier gratitude. Quite a lot of them were done by request. AnywY that’s my two cents
That's what I meant with "from the moment there's money involved things go pear-shaped" because you're already on that path with claiming that not getting anything will make you lose the incentive to continue porting. Well, first off, money should NEVER be the incentive, even when you do this for a living, and second, which ties in with the first, until now you did it because you wanted to do it, for free and at no cost, so, why all of a sudden stop when there's no money in it for you?

Mind you, when it depended on me, everybody would profit. I was and am speaking from within the proposed system here. I'm not at all proposing that only original modders or porters that make a mod their own by drastic changes should get a share of whatever pecunary amount is available.

Also keep in mind that this is not a done deal yet as is. Tinkering will need to and shall be done. Compromises will possibly have to be made. And heads will have to be kept cool when a nice mod -new or ported- that has cost a lot of effort gets only a couple of dozen endorsements and still brings the author zero point whatever in cash...

Because it's not like this is gonna make some modders rich and steep others into poverty. In the end, if any kind of benevolent payment is implemented, the differences in bank account levels will be minimum and this whole discussion will probably be looked back upon with weary smiles a few weeks/months from now.

Yeah, I probably overreacted a bit. Just got a tiny bit upset that some would think it’s supereasy to port a mod and therefore aren’t entitled to some recompense if folks wanted to do it out of their hearts. I will continue to port mods regardless. It’s hard to say no to someone who is requesting a ported mod when I know how to do it. And the author doesn’t know how or doesn’t want to port Didn’t mean nothing against you. Sorry if it sounded that way. Edited by bchick3

In response to post #56081996. #56082276, #56082736, #56082851, #56104651, #56106911, #56107726, #56108276, #56109611, #56109726 are all replies on the same post.

Because it's not like this is gonna make some modders rich and steep others into poverty. In the end, if any kind of benevolent payment is implemented, the differences in bank account levels will be minimum and this whole discussion will probably be looked back upon with weary smiles a few weeks/months from now.
bchick3 wrote: Yeah, I probably overreacted a bit. Just got a tiny bit upset that some would think it’s supereasy to port a mod and therefore aren’t entitled to some recompense if folks wanted to do it out of their hearts. I will continue to port mods regardless. It’s hard to say no to someone who is requesting a ported mod when I know how to do it. And the author doesn’t know how or doesn’t want to port Didn’t mean nothing against you. Sorry if it sounded that way.

No-no-no... I never took it the wrong way or thought you were getting back at me. This is just a discussion, or small debate if you like, hampered by turn-based game-like time-lapses and lack of vocal intonation and body language that often leads to misinterpretation.

Don't apologise for making a point which is as valid as what I said (if my point is valid at all, that is). I think we both -and all the people involved- are smart enough to be able to have a pro/contra chat without imagining the other parties sitting at their PC ready to throw some dynamite at the screen. Or maybe they are. If so, we'll propbably read about it in the papers tomorrow... Edited by JimmyRJump

In response to post #56081996. #56082276, #56082736, #56082851, #56104651, #56106911, #56107726, #56108276, #56109611, #56109726, #56109881 are all replies on the same post.

bchick3 wrote: Yeah, I probably overreacted a bit. Just got a tiny bit upset that some would think it’s supereasy to port a mod and therefore aren’t entitled to some recompense if folks wanted to do it out of their hearts. I will continue to port mods regardless. It’s hard to say no to someone who is requesting a ported mod when I know how to do it. And the author doesn’t know how or doesn’t want to port Didn’t mean nothing against you. Sorry if it sounded that way.
JimmyRJump wrote: No-no-no... I never took it the wrong way or thought you were getting back at me. This is just a discussion, or small debate if you like, hampered by turn-based game-like time-lapses and lack of vocal intonation and body language that often leads to misinterpretation.

Don't apologise for making a point which is as valid as what I said (if my point is valid at all, that is). I think we both -and all the people involved- are smart enough to be able to have a pro/contra chat without imagining the other parties sitting at their PC ready to throw some dynamite at the screen. Or maybe they are. If so, we'll propbably read about it in the papers tomorrow...

Thanks, I was afraid I was too vocal and embarrassed I might have offended you. You are right about one thing, money does bring the nasty out of people doesn’t it?

In response to post #56081996. #56082276, #56082736, #56082851, #56104651, #56106911, #56107726, #56108276, #56109611, #56109726, #56109881, #56110486 are all replies on the same post.

JimmyRJump wrote: No-no-no... I never took it the wrong way or thought you were getting back at me. This is just a discussion, or small debate if you like, hampered by turn-based game-like time-lapses and lack of vocal intonation and body language that often leads to misinterpretation.

Don't apologise for making a point which is as valid as what I said (if my point is valid at all, that is). I think we both -and all the people involved- are smart enough to be able to have a pro/contra chat without imagining the other parties sitting at their PC ready to throw some dynamite at the screen. Or maybe they are. If so, we'll propbably read about it in the papers tomorrow...
bchick3 wrote: Thanks, I was afraid I was too vocal and embarrassed I might have offended you. You are right about one thing, money does bring the nasty out of people doesn’t it?

I don't think this is really a problem with the policy. Before you can use someone else's assets or upload their mod in its entirety, you need their permission. If the mod author specifies, during that "transaction" of permissions, a preference regarding donations of any kind, then that preference needs to be honored otherwise you don't have permission. I don't see that anything has changed in that regard. Except, perhaps we all need to review our collaborations when the changes take place to make sure we're all on the same page.

However, and with all due respect, porting a mod is "supereasy" compared to making one from scratch. I'm not saying it doesn't take time and some amount of competence to do it, because it does. And I would not necessarily have a problem with someone who ported my mods receiving a profit for their time and energy- which I assume would be negotiated and agreed upon in advance. But, in my experience, porting a mod is absolutely trivial compared to developing one from nothing. And if some creators think that fact is salient to this conversation, I have no issue with that. But, again, that's more relevant to private discussions between collaborators than it is general policy.

In response to post #56110791.

powerofthree wrote:

Inb4 waifu mods take the lion's share of the donations since those dominate the hot files...every single time.

It is a shame there isn't a more perfect system that would allow the quality of the mod a competitive balance to keep up with those that are more mass-produced. But I can't think of one. I have to agree with Dark0ne's logic that keeping personal preference out of it is probably for the best. Quality is subjective and quantity isn't. For all of its flaws, that makes quantity the more dependable choice of measurement.

The only issue I can see with this is that popularity and amount of work put into something are completely different metrics

Not to mention the fact that large projects often require continuous development, while not necessarily yielding any more unique downloads for the extra time spent on it

Whats to keep people from pumping out easy to make but popular mods (like clothing and cosmetic mods) at an industrial rate?

If based on unique downloads on a per-page basis, that would strongly discourage authors to continue work on existing mods, which will yield only recurring downloads from the same set of users

You would be far better off farming as many unique downloads from as many separate mod pages as possible

In response to post #56102431.

CreeperLava wrote: I like the idea, Nexus giving back to modders is a good thing. It's going to create a whole slew of issues with permissions and the likes though, which I'm not looking forward to as a mod author. That's the problem when your mod uses assets from other users, I suppose, how do you determine who gets what percentage of the "profit" ? The easiest solution is to pull back from any monetary system, unfortunately.

Yep i agree