Mod Author Donation System

Dark0ne

For authors who port other mods to SSE, couldn't there just be an option to split points with the original author? You could just tag the creator, and then the system could send every other point (or whatever has monetary value) to the original creator. Ports do take effort, but they are clearly benefiting from the work of another. Therefore, a split (whatever the community deems fair I guess), seems like the best way to go.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #56098936.

Alaebasta wrote: I'm just an humble mod author who got in modding for skyrim, but nontheless i've spent a lot of time in the CK. Now with this announcement Nexus sounds is making mods definitively a "Product". And don't get me wrong, i like the idea of you keep the spiky problem "Buying" away from this. But still, making a mod as a product, will need a more precise "Feedback" or the possibility of being saw by a lot of peapole even after the the day one release. I would suggest to use some features to help us like.

-A very essential questionary on the quality of the mod and how the user would improve it. (this will avoid stupid spams in the comment sections and will be a more personal rapport with the modder, more professional)
-A randomize visibility on the main page of a mod or set of, let's face it, endorse aren't that much seals of quality of a mod. And maybe reshowing on the main page will help occasionals, to know mods buried down in the list of mods who didn't got much endorse in the day one.
-A suggestion menù like steam: "You downloaded *this* you might like *that* mod"
-Mod Authors can Highlight their positive comments as advertisment to show their good work.
-A built in formatting menù in the comment section of the mods forum, to be able to make a nice sticky on the fly without going through the forum.

I totally agree! You wrote really good points about quality and endorsements.

Has there been any consideration into a raffle system? The system sounds good - I recall talking with a mod author about such a system awhile back, but basing it on any metric is bound to lead to problems. With a raffle system you could put a ticket into the pot for each mod author based on the number of unique downloads they've achieved across all their mods over the last month (e.g. 100 unique downloads = 1 ticket), then you could pull as many "winners" as desired, perhaps excluding someone from winning more than once (or twice?). It doesn't completely avoid the issue with authors breaking work into multiple mod releases, but it at least makes it feasible for anyone to get large rewards.

I dunno, this may be a worse idea. Just a thought.

In response to post #56081996. #56082276, #56082736, #56082851, #56104651, #56106911 are all replies on the same post.

JimmyRJump wrote: I like the overall concept, although for SSE this could prove a bit of a hornet's nest with a lot of "modders" adapting restrictionless Skyrim2011 mods for the SE version.

What I'd like to know is if folk willing to donate to the pool will be able to do so on an automated basis for a fix amount per month, like the recurring fee paid for Supporter/Premium status?
nesbit098 wrote: Interesting point of view....
ousnius wrote: The opt-in will be off by default for each mod page. That means, people won't be allowed to make "points" off of porting SSE mods, unless the author specifically enables the permissions option for it.
JimmyRJump wrote: Thanks for the clarifcation, Ousnius.
sullyivan wrote: I'd prefer to donate funds directly to the pool on a monthly basis that would be a recurring automated process. This would be a great option. Great idea.
bchick3 wrote: I personally don’t see a problem with an sse porter like myself receiving donations this way or the old way. You know it’s not like there is an easy button you press and miraculously an oldrim mod is now an sse mod. It takes hours of work and that’s not including the time it takes to properly support said mod. Please folks don’t be hatin on porters.

@bchick3

Well, for a lot of small mods, the SSECK *IS* a magic button of kinds. I was referring to mods from modders who didn't have any restrictions on what was done with their mods. And with all due respect and certainly without any meaning of spreading *hate*, but whatever the time it takes to port a mod, it's still "just" a port and not original work. If the result of your port differs so much from the original then in my eyes it's no longer a port but a new mod that uses assets from what was the original.

If the amount of time spent on doing something should be taken into acount, well, then I want in on the action for spending hours to upload a few screenshots because of going back and forth to get the links for the mods I use in my game that are representative for the way the screenie looks.

Again, my comment was absolutely not intended to look down on "porters" but to raise the issue that it could prove more complicated than first thought to sort who is due what and what for. I'm not the kind of guy who's first downloading ported mods like a madman to then form a committee against the people who do the porting. I love mods and appreciate the people putting in the effort, but when it comes to recompense this better be thought out to within the most minute details or we risk running out of modders and porters because they could say, "well, if it's like this then I won't bother anymore". It has always struck me as odd that, from the moment there's money involved, things tend to go pear-shaped because of folk feeling entitled and getting nought, people getting jealous because "they" get some and "we" get nought,etc...

The issue at hand is to set up a system that is fair towards everyone, not to start a smearing campaign. We're talking games here, not politics.

And as important (to me) is the question about a possible automated contribution from non-modders towards the main pool of septims that will go towards the modders, if/when non-modders will be allowed to contribute money at all. Edited by JimmyRJump

In response to post #56107121.

StickySock wrote:

For authors who port other mods to SSE, couldn't there just be an option to split points with the original author? You could just tag the creator, and then the system could send every other point (or whatever has monetary value) to the original creator. Ports do take effort, but they are clearly benefiting from the work of another. Therefore, a split (whatever the community deems fair I guess), seems like the best way to go.

A couple of issues. Yes a porter like me is using the work of another author and as such I agree something goes to the original author but a 50/50 split doesn’t seem fair to me. 99% of the ports I have done are 100% supported by me, not the original author. Second almost all of the ports would never have happened if not for porters like me. Most oldrim authors have moved on or didn’t have the time or knowledge to port them. So why shouldn’t I benefit from my work even if it’s based on an oldrim mod. I think 25% to the original author in this case is more fair. If you take away the sse porters incentive to port, things will stagnate again. At least until folks start making original mods in sse. Edited by bchick3

In response to post #56081996. #56082276, #56082736, #56082851, #56104651, #56106911, #56107726 are all replies on the same post.

JimmyRJump wrote: I like the overall concept, although for SSE this could prove a bit of a hornet's nest with a lot of "modders" adapting restrictionless Skyrim2011 mods for the SE version.

What I'd like to know is if folk willing to donate to the pool will be able to do so on an automated basis for a fix amount per month, like the recurring fee paid for Supporter/Premium status?
nesbit098 wrote: Interesting point of view....
ousnius wrote: The opt-in will be off by default for each mod page. That means, people won't be allowed to make "points" off of porting SSE mods, unless the author specifically enables the permissions option for it.
JimmyRJump wrote: Thanks for the clarifcation, Ousnius.
sullyivan wrote: I'd prefer to donate funds directly to the pool on a monthly basis that would be a recurring automated process. This would be a great option. Great idea.
bchick3 wrote: I personally don’t see a problem with an sse porter like myself receiving donations this way or the old way. You know it’s not like there is an easy button you press and miraculously an oldrim mod is now an sse mod. It takes hours of work and that’s not including the time it takes to properly support said mod. Please folks don’t be hatin on porters.
JimmyRJump wrote: @bchick3

Well, for a lot of small mods, the SSECK *IS* a magic button of kinds. I was referring to mods from modders who didn't have any restrictions on what was done with their mods. And with all due respect and certainly without any meaning of spreading *hate*, but whatever the time it takes to port a mod, it's still "just" a port and not original work. If the result of your port differs so much from the original then in my eyes it's no longer a port but a new mod that uses assets from what was the original.

If the amount of time spent on doing something should be taken into acount, well, then I want in on the action for spending hours to upload a few screenshots because of going back and forth to get the links for the mods I use in my game that are representative for the way the screenie looks.

Again, my comment was absolutely not intended to look down on "porters" but to raise the issue that it could prove more complicated than first thought to sort who is due what and what for. I'm not the kind of guy who's first downloading ported mods like a madman to then form a committee against the people who do the porting. I love mods and appreciate the people putting in the effort, but when it comes to recompense this better be thought out to within the most minute details or we risk running out of modders and porters because they could say, "well, if it's like this then I won't bother anymore". It has always struck me as odd that, from the moment there's money involved, things tend to go pear-shaped because of folk feeling entitled and getting nought, people getting jealous because "they" get some and "we" get nought,etc...

The issue at hand is to set up a system that is fair towards everyone, not to start a smearing campaign. We're talking games here, not politics.

And as important (to me) is the question about a possible automated contribution from non-modders towards the main pool of septims that will go towards the modders, if/when non-modders will be allowed to contribute money at all.

Yeah I see your point and it’s not like I’m getting rich off donations I just dont want porters to get a raw deal here. It really does take some work to get mods ported. I f you don’t believe me give it a try. I’m not saying original authors should not get a percentage. Just that it should be a lower percentage. Otherwise it’s like you said, I will lose incentive to do ports at all. I do want to help people enjoy sse and that’s why I started porting some of the best mods. I have ported over 200 mods and I hate to think that would lose the ability for folks to show thier gratitude. Quite a lot of them were done by request. AnywY that’s my two cents

In response to post #56098936. #56107421 is also a reply to the same post.

Alaebasta wrote: I'm just an humble mod author who got in modding for skyrim, but nontheless i've spent a lot of time in the CK. Now with this announcement Nexus sounds is making mods definitively a "Product". And don't get me wrong, i like the idea of you keep the spiky problem "Buying" away from this. But still, making a mod as a product, will need a more precise "Feedback" or the possibility of being saw by a lot of peapole even after the the day one release. I would suggest to use some features to help us like.

-A very essential questionary on the quality of the mod and how the user would improve it. (this will avoid stupid spams in the comment sections and will be a more personal rapport with the modder, more professional)
-A randomize visibility on the main page of a mod or set of, let's face it, endorse aren't that much seals of quality of a mod. And maybe reshowing on the main page will help occasionals, to know mods buried down in the list of mods who didn't got much endorse in the day one.
-A suggestion menù like steam: "You downloaded *this* you might like *that* mod"
-Mod Authors can Highlight their positive comments as advertisment to show their good work.
-A built in formatting menù in the comment section of the mods forum, to be able to make a nice sticky on the fly without going through the forum.

Pentacrow wrote: I totally agree! You wrote really good points about quality and endorsements.

One point I can definitely get behind is a "Suggestion" system for mods as it takes me untold amounts of time to find mods I like through the simple search function, and even then a sort of buyer's remorse develops when I see that there are mods no one has heard of with like 100 endorsements that do exactly what I need.

Nowadays, I generally just browse the most updated mods to ensure compatibility with more recent versions of the script extenders, but I still miss out on quite a few amazing mods that way.

@ bchick3: I'm not arguing that the split needs to be 50/50, it just seems like the community could easily decide what seems fair (whatever ratio it ends up being), or the nexus people could put a system where two authors can agree on a split (probably a better idea, so that teams who work together on a big project can all benefit according to whatever agreement they come to). It benefits you to split your income with the original creators for the simple fact that they would be more willing and likely to give you permission to port in the first place. If authors can give permission with small royalties to people who want to port their mods or use their assets, then there is an incentive for authors to share their work.

Edited by StickySock

Just a heads-up. Bethesda may be the big player when it comes to most public recognition this site gets, but don't forget that EA owns a lot of the other games this site hosts, and they could be an entirely different issue if they don't take kindly to this new system.