Mod Author Donation System

Dark0ne

In response to post #56181426. #56183116, #56186371 are all replies on the same post.

ComScreen wrote:

In response to post #56160276. #56166746, #56170356, #56171606, #56173686, #56177316 are all replies on the same post.

CyniclyPink wrote: I'm all for mod authors getting some reward for their efforts. Some have taken years to complete. I hope this works out OK.
Airbreathers wrote: I think you have the right idea.
SanguinBlack wrote: Except it is modder's choice to make a free mod, no one should be kept responsible for it but the modder. If they want money, this is not the site. And it should remain as user's choice to donate extra.
Ethreon wrote: Please outline the portion where you are being forced to do anything, be you modder or user.
Airbreathers wrote: i don't think saying this is not the site, Based on this post, It is the site, probably the only site that will reward you for doing what you love,

For you second point, its becoming more and more a parent that people don't read the actual post. This is Donation, Meaning you Give freely of your own heart or you do not,( which is in every way completely fine, not everyone can) That money is Basically donated to Nexus/ Community / Mod Makers at large. Nexus then Secretly divides up the Total donation, and then divvies it out to Modder based solely on a metric that can be tracked and is fair in the sense that basically in a real round-a-bout way now every person that downloaded the mod donated something like probably 1 cent (lets be real here) to the author.
SanguinBlack wrote: No. It is not the site. If it happens without my consent, -hell, If I did not order it specifically- it is forced.

"No. It is not the site. If it happens without my consent, -hell, If I did not order it specifically- it is forced."

Stop posting nonsense. The site owner doesn't have to ask you if he can implement features. This is in no way forced onto anyone and you're just blabbering at this point.

Yes, stop posting nonsense, and especially stop posting things that our friend has no rational, logical objection to make against whatsoever, it might make him feel a bit awkward.

Ethreon wrote: I bet you feel pretty awkward.
Airbreathers wrote: I'm Not worried about his View anymore. I'm 1000% sure he's Trolling. So ill disregard anything else he post on this subject. I mean there is no way he doesn't realize that he doesn't run this site, nor it's users. He's not some kinda scary mind controlling god, well at least to the best of my knowledge.

We now have something far more important to deal with, something that actually could and probably will hurt the community, ModDrop. This is something the 2,371,146,881 users of this site, Need to stand up against.

Is there Anything unsavoury About this moddrop, that is not obviously apparent? My knowledge about it is limited to their advertisement video, which makes it look like another mod hosting site.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #56181426. #56183116, #56186371, #56204166 are all replies on the same post.

ComScreen wrote:

In response to post #56160276. #56166746, #56170356, #56171606, #56173686, #56177316 are all replies on the same post.

CyniclyPink wrote: I'm all for mod authors getting some reward for their efforts. Some have taken years to complete. I hope this works out OK.
SanguinBlack wrote: Except it is modder's choice to make a free mod, no one should be kept responsible for it but the modder. If they want money, this is not the site. And it should remain as user's choice to donate extra.
Ethreon wrote: Please outline the portion where you are being forced to do anything, be you modder or user.
Airbreathers wrote: i don't think saying this is not the site, Based on this post, It is the site, probably the only site that will reward you for doing what you love,

For you second point, its becoming more and more a parent that people don't read the actual post. This is Donation, Meaning you Give freely of your own heart or you do not,( which is in every way completely fine, not everyone can) That money is Basically donated to Nexus/ Community / Mod Makers at large. Nexus then Secretly divides up the Total donation, and then divvies it out to Modder based solely on a metric that can be tracked and is fair in the sense that basically in a real round-a-bout way now every person that downloaded the mod donated something like probably 1 cent (lets be real here) to the author.
SanguinBlack wrote: No. It is not the site. If it happens without my consent, -hell, If I did not order it specifically- it is forced.

"No. It is not the site. If it happens without my consent, -hell, If I did not order it specifically- it is forced."

Stop posting nonsense. The site owner doesn't have to ask you if he can implement features. This is in no way forced onto anyone and you're just blabbering at this point.

Yes, stop posting nonsense, and especially stop posting things that our friend has no rational, logical objection to make against whatsoever, it might make him feel a bit awkward.

Airbreathers wrote: I'm Not worried about his View anymore. I'm 1000% sure he's Trolling. So ill disregard anything else he post on this subject. I mean there is no way he doesn't realize that he doesn't run this site, nor it's users. He's not some kinda scary mind controlling god, well at least to the best of my knowledge.

We now have something far more important to deal with, something that actually could and probably will hurt the community, ModDrop. This is something the 2,371,146,881 users of this site, Need to stand up against.
qwormuli wrote: Is there Anything unsavoury About this moddrop, that is not obviously apparent? My knowledge about it is limited to their advertisement video, which makes it look like another mod hosting site.

I just went to the ModDrop page and watched their trailer and read the site. Are you worried that ModDrop will pull users away from downloading from Nexus and switch to ModDrop? When I first started modding I would have loved installing with one click. Is ModDrop a bad thing simply because it's not Nexus? Edited by LeonidasNerevar

I like that we're making progress with modding and finding a way to reward the mod authors directly with the money gained from ads. It lookes like they've tried to think of everything and not just half heartedly thrown something out there. I hope this system works and produces great joy to all. I do wonder though, will any changes be maid to the Premium system? If eveyone just paid $2 and lost all ads then there wouldn't be as much revenue to distribute amongst mod authors, right? He didn't mention it in the post but I'm hoping they didn't overlook it. Happy modding!

In response to post #56181426. #56183116, #56186371, #56204166, #56204241 are all replies on the same post.

ComScreen wrote:

qwormuli wrote: Is there Anything unsavoury About this moddrop, that is not obviously apparent? My knowledge about it is limited to their advertisement video, which makes it look like another mod hosting site.
LeonidasNerevar wrote: I just went to the ModDrop page and watched their trailer and read the site. Are you worried that ModDrop will pull users away from downloading from Nexus and switch to ModDrop? When I first started modding I would have loved installing with one click. Is ModDrop a bad thing simply because it's not Nexus?

Delved a bit into it. It's a cesspool, plain and simple. it steals the original creations in unsupported and often shifty messes, which i wouldn't want to inflict on my computer. No credibility, no theft protection(the other way around, in fact), no real moderation, no virus protection or detection, no real community to detect and oust these to provide some herd immunity, not to mention some heavy and backed allegations of the creator being an extremely damaging serial thief and an impersonator. Wouldn't touch with a ten feet pole.

In response to post #56160276. #56166746, #56170356, #56171606, #56173686, #56177316, #56178271, #56179031, #56184291, #56198556, #56203591 are all replies on the same post.

Ethreon wrote: "No. It is not the site. If it happens without my consent, -hell, If I did not order it specifically- it is forced."

Zaldiir wrote: Nothing is being forced onto you. You can continue to use the site exactly as you did before.
CyniclyPink wrote: It IS still users choice to donate.
SanguinBlack wrote:

Exactly using the same logic, I don't have to ask you what I am going to post.
qwormuli wrote: <SanguinBlack> Except he/she is speaking some sense. Could you outline The specific part you are forced to take part in and how it is stroking you the wrong way, so i/we can even understand, what your problem is with this? You don't have to pay for anything. You don't have to donate. You are not being flagged as supporter of anything, unlessyou do it yourself. You don't have to donate to anyone, even if you stil CAN do it the same way as before, if you want to. You don't have to accept the DP from your mods, if you don't want to. Your DP is not public. You can give them to whoever you want, in whatever way you want to(withing reason). you can set the terms for your content yourself(but i'd hope any clause for that should be public at upload/changes to avoid any whammies, which i believe it is going to be, so no worries there.).

Where is the forcing part in the post above? And while feedback is appreciated and almost expected on these things, should Dark0ne mediate with every single active user personally?

Except it is modder's choice to make a free mod, no one should be kept responsible for it but the modder. If they want money, this is not the site. And it should remain as user's choice to donate extra.
Fine, then tell me which site I can go to to make paid mods. There's none unless Bethesda happens to like you? I see.

In response to post #56204381.

LeonidasNerevar wrote: I like that we're making progress with modding and finding a way to reward the mod authors directly with the money gained from ads. It lookes like they've tried to think of everything and not just half heartedly thrown something out there. I hope this system works and produces great joy to all. I do wonder though, will any changes be maid to the Premium system? If eveyone just paid $2 and lost all ads then there wouldn't be as much revenue to distribute amongst mod authors, right? He didn't mention it in the post but I'm hoping they didn't overlook it. Happy modding!

I'd actually want to purchace premium and retain the ads. I could then just disable the ones that distract me in any way with a software in clean conscience, while leaving the harmless ones to generate well deserved funds to this site(and now towards this pool). Call me crazy or a shill, but This button in your settings would be a nice addition. Optional, of course.

In response to post #56181426. #56183116, #56186371, #56204166, #56204241, #56205146 are all replies on the same post.

ComScreen wrote:

LeonidasNerevar wrote: I just went to the ModDrop page and watched their trailer and read the site. Are you worried that ModDrop will pull users away from downloading from Nexus and switch to ModDrop? When I first started modding I would have loved installing with one click. Is ModDrop a bad thing simply because it's not Nexus?
qwormuli wrote: Delved a bit into it. It's a cesspool, plain and simple. it steals the original creations in unsupported and often shifty messes, which i wouldn't want to inflict on my computer. No credibility, no theft protection(the other way around, in fact), no real moderation, no virus protection or detection, no real community to detect and oust these to provide some herd immunity, not to mention some heavy and backed allegations of the creator being an extremely damaging serial thief and an impersonator. Wouldn't touch with a ten feet pole.

No, it's a bad thing because their business model is based on people uploading stolen mods so they can plaster ads and get revenue.

In response to post #56190841.

disi30 wrote: The only money I ever invested into modding were some sound files, Redgare reflector licence and some hex editor licence.
I'll never opt-in as a hobby-modder, but anything not prompting users to pay money for downloading some file from here is great.

As soon as I would ask for money, it would not be a hobby for me any more.

Anyway, thanks NexusMods exists :)

"embargo from the UK/UN" does that include the whole EU in the future?

I think Dark0ne means nations embargoed by the United Nations/The United Kingdom. unless i just misunderstood your question.

Is it a joke about Brexit? lol Edited by Airbreathers