Mod Author Donation System

Dark0ne

In response to post #56262141. #56262426, #56262576, #56262581, #56262936, #56263031, #56263146, #56266491, #56267106, #56267256 are all replies on the same post.

Ashes2Asherz wrote: So basically the Nexus will decide who is rewarded in this elite group of modders? One thing us Americans hate the most is when others create elitist groups and give them what they want while crapping on the rest of the people. I'm absolutely certain when all is said and done this will drive away American users.
Ethreon wrote: You don't really help brighten the image Americans have outside.
Ashes2Asherz wrote: lol i don't exactly make the best poster child I suppose
Ashes2Asherz wrote: lol i don't exactly make the best poster child I suppose...

err it double post.. maybe they should focus on optimizing this new site to not be so slow and buggy before taking on their version of paid mods.. ;)
Ethreon wrote: It would be in your best interest to read the article again, carefully.
Zodiac19 wrote: American here and not driven out. It just means that if a mod author is really good with what they do and keep making mods worth downloading then they have the potential to be compensated for it eventually. that means it's not set or fixed whether or not a modder will receive a reward, or that it will only remain a certain group of modders each time because as soon as one mod has support from every user on the site then the modder has to start over just to get points, meaning the next top modder with the points will be next etc.
Ashes2Asherz wrote: it would be your best interest to read in between the lines.. Who do you think this will hurt the most? Most likely the modders that rely on 3rd party assets to create mods and those that use them.. There is already much more greed on the Nexus than any other modding site.. They introduce a money pool to certain users then you better believe that many of those modders that once shared their work to be used in other peoples projects will clamp down and stop giving permission in hopes to gain more of the money pool for themselves.. It would definitely stun the growth of the modding community and make it so only a very few will benefit while the rest will lose interest and move on..
Augusta Calidia wrote: Nexus doesn't decide who is rewarded - we the people do by downloading mods. Each unique download of a participating mod is a vote cast for that mod. That's not a policy that would drive this American user away.

Furthermore, who comprises "this elite group of modders" of whom you speak? Am I supposed to exercise an ability to "read in between the lines" and discover that Nexus is in cahoots with a core group of favored mod authors on whom Dark0ne wishes to shower gifts? This, of course, is nonsense, because Nexus doesn't decide who participates in the Mod Author Donation Program. The individual mod author decides that for her/himself.
Ashes2Asherz wrote: What's wrong with donating to the author you like to begin with? Why does the Nexus or Nexus community have to make that decision for you?
Ethreon wrote: Again, go read the article. You obviously haven't.

Strayaaa!!!

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a modder who has spent many thousands of hours on content creation, I truly appreciate what Nexus is trying to do here. They are only the hosts of the content. It's the modders that are providing the content, but until this, Nexus was the only one that could make any money off that content. I took my Fixpack off Nexus (and moved it to https://qwinnmods.com ) primarily because of that fact, and the simple principle that it was wrong that the only one who couldn't make money off a given piece of content (a mod) was the person who created it, and that is MESSED UP. So I created a website to host my mod and tried to monetize it via ads and Amazon links. I didn't think I'd make much, and reality kept up with my pessimism. But it was the principle of the thing.

By simply acknowledging this and taking the politically contentious route of coming up with a reward system for their content creators.... respect. Thank you. I may bring my mod back to Nexus soon.

In response to post #56262141. #56262426, #56262576, #56262581, #56262936, #56263031, #56263146, #56266491, #56267106, #56267256, #56274311 are all replies on the same post.

Ashes2Asherz wrote: So basically the Nexus will decide who is rewarded in this elite group of modders? One thing us Americans hate the most is when others create elitist groups and give them what they want while crapping on the rest of the people. I'm absolutely certain when all is said and done this will drive away American users.

err it double post.. maybe they should focus on optimizing this new site to not be so slow and buggy before taking on their version of paid mods.. ;)
Ethreon wrote: It would be in your best interest to read the article again, carefully.
Zodiac19 wrote: American here and not driven out. It just means that if a mod author is really good with what they do and keep making mods worth downloading then they have the potential to be compensated for it eventually. that means it's not set or fixed whether or not a modder will receive a reward, or that it will only remain a certain group of modders each time because as soon as one mod has support from every user on the site then the modder has to start over just to get points, meaning the next top modder with the points will be next etc.
Ashes2Asherz wrote: it would be your best interest to read in between the lines.. Who do you think this will hurt the most? Most likely the modders that rely on 3rd party assets to create mods and those that use them.. There is already much more greed on the Nexus than any other modding site.. They introduce a money pool to certain users then you better believe that many of those modders that once shared their work to be used in other peoples projects will clamp down and stop giving permission in hopes to gain more of the money pool for themselves.. It would definitely stun the growth of the modding community and make it so only a very few will benefit while the rest will lose interest and move on..
Augusta Calidia wrote: Nexus doesn't decide who is rewarded - we the people do by downloading mods. Each unique download of a participating mod is a vote cast for that mod. That's not a policy that would drive this American user away.

Furthermore, who comprises "this elite group of modders" of whom you speak? Am I supposed to exercise an ability to "read in between the lines" and discover that Nexus is in cahoots with a core group of favored mod authors on whom Dark0ne wishes to shower gifts? This, of course, is nonsense, because Nexus doesn't decide who participates in the Mod Author Donation Program. The individual mod author decides that for her/himself.
Ashes2Asherz wrote: What's wrong with donating to the author you like to begin with? Why does the Nexus or Nexus community have to make that decision for you?
CluckenDip wrote: Strayaaa!!!

sure bring a little heat to this post

In response to post #56279206.

MysteriousGuy wrote: Did anyone on nexus notice there was Christmas this year? @Dark0ne You still think news section and public messages on this site are just fine?

They seem perfectly fine. Or did you expect him to make a christmas post or what?

In response to post #56262141. #56262426, #56262576, #56262581, #56262936, #56263031, #56263146, #56266491, #56267106, #56267256, #56274311, #56277726 are all replies on the same post.

iubee wrote: sure bring a little heat to this post

What's wrong with donating to the author you like to begin with? Why does the Nexus or Nexus community have to make that decision for you?

Nothing is preventing people from continuing to not do that after the implementation of this system.

Sounds really good. Is downloading an updated main file counts as a separate download in the next month (a new DP)? If only separate patch files counts later, mod directories could become endless patch shops for the new downloaders of an old mod. However, not supporting further development, could lead to half-heartedly done and early abandoned works.

Well, it's exciting for me anyway.

Edited by DtheHun

In response to post #56262141. #56262426, #56262576, #56262581, #56262936, #56263031, #56263146, #56266491, #56267106, #56267256, #56274311, #56277726, #56280516 are all replies on the same post.

iubee wrote: sure bring a little heat to this post
HomicidalGrouse wrote:
What's wrong with donating to the author you like to begin with? Why does the Nexus or Nexus community have to make that decision for you?

Nothing is preventing people from continuing to not do that after the implementation of this system.

As an American, i am well versed in spotting fear mongering. Ashes, your post is fear mongering, your post take this system out of context completely. The people decide not the nexus, and for your read between the lines idea, the authors can decide how to split the points. think about it like this you have a great mod that works a a base of key feature of many others, we can all think of a few. Now lets say that author tells people that if they want to use that mod they need to give them 50% of the reward points. That might be steep to most, at some point another author will create an alternative and maybe ask for like 10% or 5%, that mod becomes the norm, the community stables out, I mean it becomes a free market of ideas, where they rise and fall based on quality and value not just popularity and "elitism".

the way i put it may sound scary to some, but i put on my big "scary" American capitalist hat ( I don't think its scary) to lay it out in another very American way. You know seeing as we are a wide and diverse nation with many people with differing ideals, like like everywhere else likely in that regard, meaning it's hard to speak for everyone, Basically impossible.

In response to post #56279206. #56280316 is also a reply to the same post.

MysteriousGuy wrote: Did anyone on nexus notice there was Christmas this year? @Dark0ne You still think news section and public messages on this site are just fine?
Ethreon wrote: They seem perfectly fine. Or did you expect him to make a christmas post or what?

I can understand if you think that Robin should have left this post for only mod Authors, That's with me having Zero mods, that would make sense to me, but I really appreciate Dark0ne deciding to share this with every user, to me it show that Robin respects the nexus's patrons. Letting us know ahead of time so that we could all talk it out is really best for the community.

Also to every one I hope you had a good Holiday if you had one, MysteriousGuy is kinda right, We should be more thankful for each other. So thanks Man.