Unstable frame rate

Tinaaa

I have skyrim with over 250 mods I know it's hard but I'd like to play at least 30 frame rates, I wanted to know if there's an application or something else to increase frame rates, vsync is disabled, every time I move the mouse quickly game slows down I tried to edit the ini file for the mouse but nothing to do.Bethini tried it but it does not work as I hoped. My problem is definitely the cpu a first generation intel combined with a 4vram video card, the frame rates are unstable sometimes I have 60 sometimes 30 sometimes 20 sometimes 15 depends on the place and the speed in which I move the mouse. Thanks to everyone who will help me

Edited by Tinaaa

What are your specs and frame rate in vanilla Skyrim? If you have sub 8gb of RAM, might need to delete up to 150 or more mods. If you have over 250 mods then I don't even need to see your mod list. You should probably uninstall every mod you have and start building a new mod list from scratch. Not only do you have the CPU bottleneck, but having more than 50 or so activate plug-ins has been known affect performance. Having over 255 has been known to break the game.

Mods that only make changes to existing vanilla assets are significantly less CPU intensive then mods that add things to the game world.

I totally agree with JohnnynRoger ... I do have the Nvidia 1070 with SSD drive and i7 + 16gb RAM and I am just running 125 mods, one ENB and several graphic mods ... my FPS stay no less than 55 because the ENB make you loose some FPS but my 8gb in my video card are helping me on this. When I do not have the ENB, my FPS remain fixed ( 98% of the time ) at 60.

Definitely, running 250 mods with a rig with less power will drop your FPS. Try to be selective in the type of mods you need. Don't fall in the trap of quantity but quality mods. I understand that you would like to have that many, but honestly, I do not think that 250 mods are necessary to have a great game experience. For me, mods must give me something extra in the gameplay department that vanilla is not giving me.

For example, in Fallout 4, I run a mod named : WOTC ( War of the Commonwealth ) which spawn a lot of enemies and make my game more challenging. What would I need ( for example ) a freaking better mama Murphy chair in my load order? Will that improve my gameplay ? Not for me. I am not going to be looking at that mummy sitting in her freaking better chair, do you see my point ? While others are excited about this mod, for me is the last mod I would download, with all my due respect to the mod author. Just gave you my idea about modding.

In Skyrim I keep only mods that will make my game better. Skyrim is boring. I have been playing this game for years so I need something different in it to continue playing it and there are several mods that make it interesting but also, there are thousand of mods that IMHO, should not be download it. Think about it.

Thank you guys for your reply, so when i start the game without the mod the game is very fast , ram memory is 9 gigabyte, i know i should change the cpu and motherboard and ram memory because are very old and I know that all these mods are crazy and you're absolutely right.. Did you think skyshade reshade affects the performance or not? Thanks a lot guys you are the best

Edited by Tinaaa

Over 250 seems like way too many mods. Unfortunately, removing a bunch of mods, other than textures, will destabilize your game. Next time you want to add that many mods, practice some deep breathing and relaxation exercises till that urge subsides. If worse comes to worse, have a bowl of horker stew for those overwhelming bouts of mod addiction.

Some mods really stress your system. Mods adding large battle scenes will bring any system to its knees. There is one battle scene in the Rigmor of Bruma mod that renders my character unusable. Had to rely on a couple of powerful companions to bring the battle to a conclusion, because they were apparently doing their killing despite the game rendering less than one frame per second.

Read the mod descriptions and choose them wisely. That Skyshade ReShade will have some effect but it is probably worth it for appealing graphics.

What are your specs and frame rate in vanilla Skyrim? If you have sub 8gb of RAM, might need to delete up to 150 or more mods. If you have over 250 mods then I don't even need to see your mod list. You should probably uninstall every mod you have and start building a new mod list from scratch. Not only do you have the CPU bottleneck, but having more than 50 or so activate plug-ins has been known affect performance. Having over 255 has been known to break the game.

Mods that only make changes to existing vanilla assets are significantly less CPU intensive then mods that add things to the game world.

Wrong. Amount of mods has nothing to do with fps. And of course the game crashes when having more than 255 plug-ins since that's the maximum the game's engine can load. Originally, the 256 cap was a 32-bits engine limit and shouldn't be there any longer in a 64-bits engine, but Bethesda kept the cap in SSE nevertheless.

What matters is what kind of texture mods we are talking about on what kind of GPU and in what resolution the game is played. Even when talking purely texture replacers (non plug-in mods). Same thing goes for mods that add items through a plug-in. It's not the amount but the size of the textures and amount of polygons involved.

When having below eight GB of system RAM then it is advisable to stay at or below 1K textures with an occasional 2K texture when it concerns smaller items. If on top of that 4GB of system RAM you have a GPU with just 2 to 4GB, then forget about higher resolution textures and better stay with mods like the Vivid series that ameliorate how things look without using above 512kb files.

I'm currently loading 401 mods (248 plug-ins) with mostly 2 and 4K textures and the Natural View Tamriel ENB preset for Natural Atmosperic Tamriel weather mod on an 8GB MSI RX470 GamingX GPU, i7 3770k, 16GB of KHX RAM@1600MHz on an AsRock Z77 eXtreme11 motherboard. I vary between 40 and 60fps with dips to 35 in densely forested areas (using Skyrim 3D Trees 2K option).

I strongly suggest to use the Insignificant Object Remover mod that does away with items that can't be seen but still need to be rendered by the game's engine. Not a major boost, but it will give some fps gain. It's a start.

Here's my load order as copied from LOOT:

0 0 Skyrim.esm

1 1 Update.esm
2 2 Dawnguard.esm
3 3 HearthFires.esm
4 4 Dragonborn.esm
5 5 Lanterns Of Skyrim - All In One - Main.esm
6 6 Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp
7 7 SkyrimBordersDisabled.esm
8 8 Skyrim Project Optimization - Full Version.esm
9 9 Cutting Room Floor.esp
10 a SMIM-SE-Merged-All.esp
11 b Bring Out Your Dead.esp
12 c Ducks and Swans.esp
13 d Lanterns of Skyrim Light Balance Patch.esp
14 e FNIS.esp
15 f Unique Character.esp
16 10 KS Hairdo's.esp
17 11 Footprints.esp
18 12 SkyrimIsWindy.esp
19 13 Extended Character Creation Options.esp
20 14 MamTuskPowderGrind.esp
21 15 ShowRaceMenuAlternative.esp
22 16 Our Days & Months.esp
23 17 Hunters Not Bandits.esp
24 18 InfiniteShoutsTalosShrine.esp
25 19 Metalsabers Beautiful Elves of Skyrim.esp
26 1a SexyVest.esp
27 1b mcgFemaleWalk for SkyrimSE.esp
28 1c NosPiercedEarsAll.esp
29 1d MoreGourdsAndPotatoes.esp
30 1e NoBSAIProjectileDodge.esp
31 1f Mammoths - Improved Loot - No Powder Recipe.esp
32 20 XPMSSE.esp
33 21 HN66_NAILS4ALL.esp
34 22 DemonHunterArmor.esp
35 23 DragonBoneEbonsteel.esp
36 24 FasterHorses.esp
37 25 sandboxcylinderheight.esp
38 26 Projectile Speed Tweak.esp
39 27 timescale6.esp
40 28 Chesko_WearableLantern.esp
41 29 Insignificant Object Remover.esp
42 2a Better Amulet of Talos.esp
43 2b RichMerchantsSkyrim_x10.esp
44 2c DIVERSE SKYRIM.esp
45 2d No More Standing Too Close SSE 1-0.esp
46 2e UnrelentingForce700%.esp
47 2f StandingStonesBetterEffects.esp
48 30 Unlimited Training.esp
49 31 TrueAurielBow.esp
50 32 CriticalCorrection.esp
51 33 EbonyBlade - Potent.esp
52 34 CiriOutfit.esp
53 35 Tiwa-Spice-Mini-Merged.esp
54 36 nordicsnow.esp
55 37 KrittaKittyHorsesForSSE.esp
56 38 Intriguante's Wear NO.esp
57 39 SkyUI_SE.esp
58 3a LazyCBP.esp
59 3b Marie Serana.esp
60 3c Serana Hood Removal.esp
61 3d Improved Eyes Skyrim.esp
62 3e Simple AUA.esp
63 3f InigoPerkPointGiver.esp
64 40 DustEffectsSSE.esp
65 41 Celtic_Music_In_Skyrim_SE.esp
66 42 Northgirl.esp
67 43 TW3Eyes.esp
68 44 Elegant Beauty Stunning Eyes.esp
69 45 BrajornLoadingNSFW.esp
70 46 SPTDiverseGuardsSkyrimSE.esp
71 47 OpenFaceGuardHelmetsSSE.esp
72 48 kuzak-bodyandstockings.esp
73 49 SSE_Amb_SimaEffect.esp
74 4a HighJumpMod.esp
75 4b CrimsonTwilightArmor.esp
76 4c THMeeko.esp
77 4d SmartNoMoreStupidDog.esp
78 4e TAZ_killcamtweak.esp
79 4f HentaiVoidArmor.esp
80 50 firebreath.esp
81 51 Dragon Stalking Fix.esp
82 52 Cherry's Eyes.esp
83 53 Beards.esp
84 54 NB-Scars.esp
85 55 Realistic HaircolorsPale.esp
86 56 Modern Brawl Bug Fix.esp
87 57 RegnPiercings.esp
88 58 UniqueGrimsever.esp
89 59 UniqueStormfang.esp
90 5a RelightingSkyrim_SSE.esp
91 5b 01NobleWarriorCottage2.0.esp
92 5c Castle Volkihar Rebuilt.esp
93 5d Book Covers Skyrim.esp
94 5e S3DTrees NextGenerationForests.esp
95 5f Prometheus_No_snow_Under_the_roof.esp
96 60 Immersive Jewelry.esp
97 61 Metalsabers Beautiful Ladies of Skyrim.esp
98 62 Aesthetic Elisif.esp
99 63 WeightLessLegacyAll.esp
100 64 CC'sEnhancedOreVeinsSSE-HearthfirePatch.esp
101 65 RUSTIC SOULGEMS - Unsorted.esp
102 66 mrbs-uniqueloot-se.esp
103 67 GoldToSeptims.esp
104 68 MoreColorfulCritters.esp
105 69 Blowing in the Wind SSE.esp
106 6a Blowing in the Wind - Lanterns of Skyrim Patch SSE.esp
107 6b GQJ_DG_vampireamuletfix.esp
108 6c HN66_Earrings.esp
109 6d BetterTreasuryHouse.esp
110 6e NAT.esp
111 6f Brighter toggleable Candlelight and Torches.esp
112 70 crimsonquestmarkers.esp
113 71 Cidhna Mine Both Rewards.esp
114 72 BetterQuestObjectives.esp
115 73 PlantableNirnrootv03.esp
116 74 Perk Points and More Gold for Bounty Quests.esp
117 75 BarenziahQuestMarkers.esp
118 76 MorrowindImports.esp
119 77 LazyHeels.esp
120 78 VHTNFSSE.esp
121 79 AngasMillReborn.esp
122 7a UnlimitedBookshelves.esp
123 7b JKs Whiterun.esp
124 7c JK's Riverwood.esp
125 7d IcePenguinWorldMap.esp
126 7e Darkwater Crossing.esp
127 7f Shor's Stone.esp
128 80 SPTUnlimitedRingsSE.esp
129 81 LeftHandRings.esp
130 82 SPTUnlimitedAmuletsSE.esp
131 83 greatswords.esp
132 84 Ivarstead.esp
133 85 Helarchen Creek.esp
134 86 Kynesgrove.esp
135 87 Whistling Mine.esp
136 88 Soljund's Sinkhole.esp
137 89 Karthwasten.esp
138 8a RealisticWaterTwo.esp
139 8b Ashbound.esp
140 8c BetterDocks-MP-DLC-Compatible.esp
141 8d Ordinator - Perks of Skyrim.esp
142 8e HearthFires Roads.esp
143 8f Convenient Bridges.esp
144 90 Point The Way.esp
145 91 Better Dynamic Snow.esp
146 92 RealisticWinterhold.esp
147 93 Laundry.esp
148 94 Seashells.esp
149 95 more idle markers.esp
150 96 Windhelm Docks Pathways SE.esp
151 97 PlainView.esp
152 98 Skyrim Better Roads and Bridges - All In One - Merged.esp
153 99 Run For Your Lives.esp
154 9a Deluxe ArchmageQuarters V1.3.esp
155 9b RiversideLodge.esp
156 9c SL01AmuletsSkyrim.esp
157 9d Lakeview No Altar (Alchemical).esp
158 9e Keld-Nar.esp
159 9f HeljarchenFarm.esp
160 a0 Dawnstar.esp
161 a1 WindstadMine.esp
162 a2 BugJarReplacer.esp
163 a3 UniqueBorderGates-All.esp
164 a4 Xploding Barrels.esp
165 a5 Trees in Cities.esp
166 a6 True Master Trainers (Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch).esp
167 a7 Dolmen Ruins.esp
168 a8 mihailogres.esp
169 a9 Solitude Exterior Addon.esp
170 aa Skyshards.esp
171 ab waterplants.esp
172 ac Veydosebrom - Grasses and Groundcover.esp
173 ad Mixwater Mill Reborn.esp
174 ae Solitude Skyway SE.esp
175 af shezrieshfkitchenhel.esp
176 b0 shezrieswinstadhearthfirekitchen.esp
177 b1 DragonboneBarbarianArmor.esp
178 b2 Windstad Trophy Entryway.esp
179 b3 FarmhouseChimneys.esp
180 b4 Provincial Courier Service.esp
181 b5 Book Covers Skyrim - Lost Library.esp
182 b6 Bells of Skyrim.esp
183 b7 Dragon Claw Stands.esp
184 b8 Dragon Bridge.esp
185 b9 Ars Metallica.esp
186 ba SkyrimRecycling.esp
187 bb Batch Crafting Recipes SE.esp
188 bc JLA_SmelterRecipe.esp
189 bd Tanning And Smelting Experience.esp
190 be HN66_NAILS4ALL_GauntletSupportSSE.esp
191 bf HN66mage4vanilla.esp
192 c0 Blacksmith Forge Water Fix SE USSEP.esp
193 c1 LADX_SSE.esp
194 c2 ESO Nord Weapons.esp
195 c3 EastmarchOreVeins.esp
196 c4 EmbersHD.esp
197 c5 The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp
198 c6 HoldBorderBanners.esp
199 c7 dragonstrikebow.esp
200 c8 BooksOfSkyrim.esp
201 c9 Blowing in the Wind - JK's Riverwood Patch SSE.esp
202 ca Blowing in the Wind - JK's Whiterun Patch SSE.esp
203 cb FarmhouseChimneysArthmoorVillagesMerged.esp
204 cc Road to Morthal.esp
205 cd FarmhouseChimneysCRF.esp
206 ce CraftingSupplies_AIO_ALL.esp
207 cf Blowing in the Wind - SMIM Merged All Patch SSE.esp
208 d0 Gildergreen Regrown.esp
209 d1 Better Skill and Quest Books Names SE.esp
210 d2 NWBNotStupid.esp
211 d3 BetterGauldurAmulet.esp
212 d4 Eyeliner Replacer.esp
213 d5 WestWindAssault.esp
214 d6 TW3_ArmorVariants_Undeadgoblin.esp
215 d7 Bikini Armors.esp
216 d8 BetterQuestObjectives-CRFPatch.esp
217 d9 BetterQuestObjectives-PaarDilemmaPatch.esp
218 da SolitudeTempleFrescoes.esp
219 db SolstheimLighthouse.esp
220 dc BijinAIO_SSE-3.1.1.esp
221 dd Fresh Faces - USSEP.esp
222 de SPTConsistentOlderPeopleSE.esp
223 df Dark_Brotherhood_V2.esp
224 e0 All_Housecarls.esp
225 e1 Dodge Mod.esp
226 e2 MultiJump.esp
227 e3 TW3_femaleArmors_zzjay.esp
228 e4 Maskless.esp
229 e5 ESO Altmer Armor by NewrMind43.esp
230 e6 SexyMannequinsFemale_SSE.esp
231 e7 SexyMannequinsFemaleHF_SSE.esp
232 e8 UltimateRing.esp
233 e9 moonpath.esp
234 ea College Bridge Light Fix - Clean ITM and Remove Unnecessary Record.esp
235 eb FarmhouseChimneysHelarchenCreek.esp
236 ec SPTKatlaSailReangleSE.esp
237 ed Ember_Sword.esp
238 ee EzEWorldMapSE.esp
239 ef MoreColorfulRobes.esp
240 f0 RWT Lod Fix.esp
241 f1 Better Dynamic Ash.esp
242 f2 Better Dynamic Snow - NSUTR Patch.esp
243 f3 NAT Water Fix.esp
244 f4 ECCO - Skyrim Sizes Patch.esp
245 f5 Skyrim Sizes.esp
246 f6 Sakora's Make Up Kit - Natural Colors.esp
247 f7 ECCO - Makeup Kit - Extended Colors Patch.esp

Compare and adapt your mods accordingly.

Wrong. Amount of mods has nothing to do with fps. And of course the game crashes when having more than 255 plug-ins since that's the maximum the game's engine can load. Originally, the 256 cap was a 32-bits engine limit and shouldn't be there any longer in a 64-bits engine, but Bethesda kept the cap in SSE nevertheless.

What matters is what kind of texture mods we are talking about on what kind of GPU and in what resolution the game is played. Even when talking purely texture replacers (non plug-in mods). Same thing goes for mods that add items through a plug-in. It's not the amount but the size of the textures and amount of polygons involved.

Texture mods don't add objects to the game world. Mods that add things like, meshes, actors, or constantly run scripts that modify objects added to the world will cost you significant frames if you're bottle necked by your CPU. One of the worst case scenarios for your cpu would be:

• a "Populated" cities mod that adds NPCs
  • + open cities
  • + a city overhaul that adds NPCs and clutter to the same area
  • + a mod that spawns encounters in or around these cities
  • + a mod that has everyone making footprints
  • + another mod that runs a script every .5 seconds to make your character looking at them when they speak
  • + a combat overhaul that runs scripts to change the state of actors in different combat situations
  • + a mod that covers every square inch of landscape with grass
  • + bewb physics
  • + if you're still not sub 30 fps, then add Skybirds and crank the "Fade" settings up as high as they go

Edit: I'm being sarcastic. I know that the "number of mods" does not directly cause any sort of loss to FPS. But if someone that doesn't really have much experience, I would never recommend having over 200 installed mods because when there's a problem and they don't know how to troubleshoot on their own, chances are they're SoL.

Texture mods don't add objects to the game world...()...

I never said that anywhere.

Loading umpteen plug-ins that add things doesn't necessarly make fps drop. It again depends on how big the textures are and/or what the polygon amount is. Even adding an entire village where once 50 3D trees were standing, you won't lose fps, you'll actually gain fps.

Adding ten mods or a hundred when having no experience makes no difference. Thoroughly reading mod descriptions does.

Everytime someone comes up with a fps issue you drag CPU bottleneck into the conversation while that is something that rarely occurs with games like SSE because of the 60fps cap, unless you combine a Pentium III with a GTX1080Ti and throw something like Metro 2033 at the lot. Then, that PIII will stick-up a generous middle finger and probably migrate to a Tetris community...

Texture mods don't add objects to the game world...()...

I never said that anywhere.

Loading umpteen plug-ins that add things doesn't necessarly make fps drop. It again depends on how big the textures are and/or what the polygon amount is. Even adding an entire village where once 50 3D trees were standing, you won't lose fps, you'll actually gain fps.

Adding ten mods or a hundred when having no experience makes no difference. Thoroughly reading mod descriptions does.

Everytime someone comes up with a fps issue you drag CPU bottleneck into the conversation while that is something that rarely occurs with games like SSE because of the 60fps cap, unless you combine a Pentium III with a GTX1080Ti and throw something like Metro 2033 at the lot. Then, that PIII will stick-up a generous middle finger and probably migrate to a Tetris community...

But you know that generally speaking, the detail of the assets within a game's engine will be more GPU intensive, while the number of objects with physical properties, scripts, and/or AI that are being accounted for at any given time within the game's engine will be more CPU intensive. If you spam thousands of vanilla items and your FPS drops to sub 20, it's because you're requiring your CPU to apply physics to thousands of items that are interacting with one another and it can't keep up. It's not that your GPU is overloaded with polygons and textures. If they were static you would hardly lose any frames. Of course that's an extreme example, but to imply that CPU is nearly inconsequential to performance especially if you're modding in a bunch of actors and meshes with AI and physical properties in Skyrim is a bit disingenuous. The OP explicitly stated that their CPU was suspect.

As far as increasing performance by replacing terrain, trees, and grass with a structure, I don't disagree. This is true of adding player homes, which is one type of mod that I didn't mention. If the buildings are part of a settlement/city overhaul, however, then they typically come with actors, objects, and scripts. Statues that are static but with the same texture quality and polys as actors are significantly less resource intensive than actors who are not static and interact with the world and the objects and events within using various AI packages.

Edit: And Skyrim isn't Metro. And Metro isn't Total War. Some games are more GPU:CPU intensive than others.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I'm sure this has been asked many times over and I have spent hours on google and forums trying suggested fixes. Here is where I am at and any help is much appreciated. My system specs are as follows

Laptop

i7-6700 HQ CPU @ 2.60

nVidia GTX 970m 4g

16 G DDR5 RAM

My game and mods are running off my SSD with plenty of space left over. I'm running maybe 35-40 mods. FPS rates are at 59-60 on menu. Standing outside Whiterun while it's raining FPS ranging from 50 to 15 and everything in the middle.

I've tried tweaking the ini files and forcing nVidia to use the V sync only fix. Nothing

I've set through the control panel that nVidia is the only Graphics card being used to run Skyrim. Nothing

Auto Detects to Ultra. Dropped settings to High. Nothing

I am using ENB 0.325 FYI

nVidia driver is updated to the 390 version (latest out)

I do have some immersive mods installed. Figured I would mention that after reading through this discussion. Immersive armors, animations, High level enemies, Tera Armors, Immersive Patrols. Any help or something I missed to stable out my FPS is much appreciated.