major conflict between Lost Spires and UOP

diosoth

While playing through Lost Spires, I saw something stretching off through one of the caves, which means there's a skeleton issue. It turned out to be an issue with a "Speckled Daedroth", the top of its head was stretching off into the distance. I found a folder under "data/meshes/creatures/daedroth" which had a skeleton file. I removed that skeleton file, which fixed the issue as when I reloaded the game, the Daedroth's head was working normally. Until I played more, and used the Wabbajack on a random monster which turned it into a Daedroth, and its head was stretched off. So obviously, deleting this new skeleton fixed the Lost Spires version, but broke the vanilla one.

Of course, I get to another Lost Spires cave, where there's a Speckled Daedroth and Speckled Clannfear, and the Clannfear's head is stretched off into the distance. I know the vanilla Clannfear isn't doing this, and I even tested it by renaming the skeleton.nif file, which "fixed" the stretching heads. So I determined that these new skeleton and mesh folders for these creatures is due to Unofficial Oblivion Patch, specifically the 3_4_1 update. From the update log-

NPCs and the player will now properly head-track Clannfears and Daedroths instead of looking upwards where their head would be if they were standing completely upright (especially noticed with corpses)

So they updated the character models for these creatures to use new skeletons and meshes, but it has the bad side effect of breaking the recolor copies in Lost Spires(which uses a BSA file and is likely not reading the new copies). It's certainly not game-breaking, but most definitely is annoying.

It's a known issue, should be fixed in a future update... which I can go prod Kivan about or something in case he's forgotten again :P