Extremes

kvnchrist

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok it's like this.

I see a spade and I can call it a shovel, but it's still a spade.

Is not a spade a small shovel?....chuckles with droll amusement. Sorry Myr couldn't help myself . :whistling:

Edited by Aurielius

Ok it's like this.

Is not a spade a small shovel?....chuckles with droll amusement. :whistling:

That is my point. :whistling:

In other words I see people taking extreme positions but because people don't want to be uncomfortable or shaken from their comfortable delusions, I'm supposed to call them something else.

In the same way people have misconstrued this saying "calling a spade a spade" as being racist but it's much older than that.

Ok it's like this.

Is not a spade a small shovel?....chuckles with droll amusement. :whistling:

That is my point. :whistling:

In other words I see people taking extreme positions but because people don't want to be uncomfortable or shaken from their comfortable delusions, I'm supposed to call them something else.

In the same way people have misconstrued this saying "calling a spade a spade" as being racist but it's much older than that.

Just acting as your 'straight man'.. it must be the Irish pixie in me ..passes cookie across the table.

Someone like me is often labeled an extremist, because my position is sometimes extremely different than the mainstream. I don't hop on a bandwagon, I pick and choose issues to decide for myself. I don't let Fox News or MSNBC tell me how to think.

O/T

The only thing that seems consistent to me that makes a spade a spade and not a shovel, is that a spade has sharpened bladed edge. Calling a spade a shovel will get someone rag on you for being a noob for not telling the difference. And don't go using a spade when you should be using a knackered shovel!

It's passed down generation to generation in the ancient laws of building s***. When I say passed down I really mean bonked into your head with a shovel.. or spade, in that case it doesn't matter.

O/T

The only thing that seems consistent to me that makes a spade a spade and not a shovel, is that a spade has sharpened bladed edge. Calling a spade a shovel will get someone rag on you for being a noob for not telling the difference. And don't go using a spade when you should be using a knackered shovel!

It's passed down generation to generation in the ancient laws of building s***. When I say passed down I really mean bonked into your head with a shovel.. or spade, in that case it doesn't matter.

:wub:

But don't some country types call it a "sharp shovel" or was that just my mother?

Or maybe they're really extreme. Extreme viewpoints are dangerous. Moderation keeps people out of wars. Moderation is achieved with stable populations that have enough food and clean water, and a sense of public safety.

I don't like the use of trigger words are used in politics for two reasons.

1. Often they are trying to hid a lack of knowledge, or not wanting to show the whole picture

2. When enough people catch on to number 1, they will under react when the situation really is dire, or not give something important the attention it needs.

Trigger words should alert you and make you look for real information to decide for yourself if this really is important, or if they are just trying to sell you something.

Or maybe they're really extreme. Extreme viewpoints are dangerous. Moderation keeps people out of wars. Moderation is achieved with stable populations that have enough food and clean water, and a sense of public safety.

I don't like the use of trigger words are used in politics for two reasons.

1. Often they are trying to hid a lack of knowledge, or not wanting to show the whole picture

2. When enough people catch on to number 1, they will under react when the situation really is dire, or not give something important the attention it needs.

Trigger words should alert you and make you look for real information to decide for yourself if this really is important, or if they are just trying to sell you something.

Crying wolf?

Politicians use trigger words to paint their opponents in the worst possible light. (and thereby, supposedly making them look more 'reasonable'....) It's one of those words that has developed negative connotations, and it seems to be 'in vogue' at the moment. Next month, it will be something else. (or, maybe 'next election'... who knows..... it's a lot like womens skirts, hem lines go up and down, as do the relevance of certain words.)