Vortex Alpha Release

Dark0ne

In response to post #57602066. #57611341 is also a reply to the same post.

Jokermaniaque wrote: Thank you so much Nexus team! I've just installed Vortex and had a quick tour of the menus for now, and my first impression is that it looks very nice (much more than what I was hoping for) and feels really intuitive! I hope to start a new setup of SSE this weekend (I've been waiting a long, long time to do this) :) Keep up the great work!
haguerepairguy wrote: There's a submit feedback button on the top right in mods screen, you probably can get them those kind words quicker that way :)

Yeah I may do it eventually, I just want to have spent a few hours modding so I have a couple of suggestions and/or bug reports, feedback must be constructive :)

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried it but had to much issues:

• Game not recognized
  • Mods not recognized, nameless end no option to install
  • Mods disappearing after installation or not working correctly

I will wait till the Vortex is out of alpha and Beta for now.

Will stick what works, Nexus mod manager maintained via GitHub Current Nexus Mod Manager v0.64.1 by DuskDweller.

Wish the developers of Vortex at nexusmods.com the the best. ;)

Will checking regularly how it going with Vortex.

Edited by Dragonetti

So far I like it. But unfortunately I might not switch to it for one reason, the way files can be overwritten. In NMM I enjoyed having the choice to which exact files I wanted to overwrite others and vice versa, while telling which mods they were apart of. I use Fallout Manager and NMM over Mod Organizer for this reason. It is very easy to learn how to use Vortex, and it features a lot of what made it's predecessor great. I can see people who prefer how Mod Organizer works, but want the simplicity of NMM taking a liking this. It is a great mod manager nevertheless, though it may not be my cup of tea.

At first glance, I can only repeat what I said to SirSalami: this thing frightens me.

I can't really understand anything I see there. Doesn't look very user friendly, all things considered.

I never used Mod Organizer, but I tried Wrye Bash for a short time. Looking back at them, their interfaces looked ancient as hell.

Wrye Bash's UI has not changed much since its inception..which came about during Oblivion modding era. Hence those who tried it only with Skyrim, will "o_O" at the UI. UI's don't need to be complex or showy, which Wrye Bash's UI is neither..

In response to post #57602066. #57611341, #57615496 are all replies on the same post.

Jokermaniaque wrote: Thank you so much Nexus team! I've just installed Vortex and had a quick tour of the menus for now, and my first impression is that it looks very nice (much more than what I was hoping for) and feels really intuitive! I hope to start a new setup of SSE this weekend (I've been waiting a long, long time to do this) :) Keep up the great work!
haguerepairguy wrote: There's a submit feedback button on the top right in mods screen, you probably can get them those kind words quicker that way :)
Jokermaniaque wrote: Yeah I may do it eventually, I just want to have spent a few hours modding so I have a couple of suggestions and/or bug reports, feedback must be constructive :)

lol I agree

In response to post #57616816.

MotionlessGhost61 wrote: So far I like it. But unfortunately I might not switch to it for one reason, the way files can be overwritten. In NMM I enjoyed having the choice to which exact files I wanted to overwrite others and vice versa, while telling which mods they were apart of. I use Fallout Manager and NMM over Mod Organizer for this reason. It is very easy to learn how to use Vortex, and it features a lot of what made it's predecessor great. I can see people who prefer how Mod Organizer works, but want the simplicity of NMM taking a liking this. It is a great mod manager nevertheless, though it may not be my cup of tea.

It is actually very similar to NMM in this respect. If there are conflicts with loose files, it shows in the Dependencies column on the MODS page of Vortex as a red lightning bolt. Click on that lightning bolt and it will let you set a rule that determines which package overwrites which. After you settle all your conflicts, Purge button at the top clears your data directory and then the Deploy button will reinstall all those mods, obeying the rules you set up to determine which packages get overwritten. You have exactly as much control as NMM. It's just a different approach.

In response to post #57615791.

Dragonetti wrote: Tried it but had to much issues:
Game not recognized Mods not recognized, nameless end no option to install Mods disappearing after installation or not working correctly

I will wait till the Vortex is out of alpha and Beta for now.
Will stick what works, Nexus mod manager maintained via GitHub Current Nexus Mod Manager v0.64.1 by DuskDweller.

Wish the developers of Vortex at nexusmods.com the the best. ;)
Will checking regularly how it going with Vortex.

What game? Can you give more details and post them in the forum to help the devs and help others who might run in to the same issues. https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/forum/4306-vortex-feedback/

In response to post #57589691. #57598431, #57599596, #57600696, #57607326, #57607936, #57608341, #57609276 are all replies on the same post.

HelelBenShahaar wrote: At first glance, I can only repeat what I said to SirSalami: this thing frightens me.

I can't really understand anything I see there. Doesn't look very user friendly, all things considered.

I never used Mod Organizer, but I tried Wrye Bash for a short time. Looking back at them, their interfaces looked ancient as hell. Not necessarily a bad thing, but not good in my experience. I never actually got used to WB and I don't think I'll ever be using MO.

However, Vortex's interface looks too modern. Looks more aesthetic than functional to be honest. This may not sit well with some users. Doesn't sit well with me, that's for sure.

To put it the best I can, as far as interfaces were concerned: WB and MO looked like Windows 95 and Windows 2000, respectively. NMM looks like Windows XP. Vortex looks like Windows 10.

I have a feeling that this was a too large of a leap from NMM's simple and very useful mechs. Like you skipped the metaphorical Windows 7.

Highly unlikely that my voice will mean a bloody thing in a long run, but at least I said what was on my soul.
Anqayas wrote: I agree. It feels weird, hard to use.
r0ck7y wrote: i think the whole interface will change after they leave the alpha as they said somewhere else before that's they haven't started on the interface yet and it will be planned later when Vortex is stable and ready. still not sure if that's what they meant or i understood it wrong.
Valyn81 wrote: sound to me like they are never satisfied. "Its old and too simple" to "I don't like xp", now "it is too modern and hightech!" Please, stop being an old fart and learn to adapt.

MO is super simple if you take a little time to learn it; NMM was SUPER simple and cause more issues than it resolved; Vortex should be a happy mid between them or simply a new and inventive way to make our gaming experience easier.
RadioactiveStud wrote: I had trouble understanding at first too but once you get used to it, it is great.
bigd4450 wrote: unfortunately there are a lot of old fart's out here, (I proudly count myself as one, 60 years old really soon). XP was good, a nice step from 98. windows 8 sucked, too big of a change, too much to try to learn for the sake of ... aesthetics. at this point 10, a decent mix, still not really liked. I just want to push a button and have it work, don't want to relearn how to do something that was really simple a couple of months ago for the sake of ... aesthetics?
GeneralJohn wrote: I don't understand what people find hard about using it - I mean if you just sit there and look at it for a minute or two, it's all very self explanatory, I understood how to use it within a few minutes...
KeltecRFB wrote: And easier to use than MO and MO2. People are caught up that since Tannin developed it, it is like MO. This is not even close, MOs were much more involved than this. We will see if it handles TTW as good as FOMM or MO did.

Ok, now I see the MO'ism but don't fear them. It actually helps you make your game more stable once you figure how to use them. Look up the conflicts (aka dependencies) at the mod's website and load accordingly. There may be some trial and error. As for those with no masters, just disable those. Make sure to fix loose files. I am thinking for small load orders, you can be a novice and install Vortex but the larger the NMM install is, you may want to be more intermediate level or start from scratch installing your new game.

I am still working on getting me install working. Edited by KeltecRFB

In response to post #57592416. #57592771 is also a reply to the same post.

Andarus2 wrote: I guess I use it if I ever play a Game thats not supported by MO. I guess I should give DA:O a try again and who knows maybe Kingdom Come gets some Mods and Vortex Support soon. But I think MO 1.3.11 is pretty much the perfect Mod Manager for me.
KeltecRFB wrote: Wow, ancient MO there, not even MO2. But yeah, I must admit, 1.3.11 is nice.

I agree. I'll give it a go I guess, i'm still not a fan of the idea on installing game programs on C drive but i'll give it a try. Edited by nappilydeestructio