Glass objects inside glass objects

TheCutSnake

I have made an object that is essentially a light bulb (object with lots of glow) inside a glass case, which sits inside another glass case.

Exported and used in GECK and game with the appearence I wanted, however....

If I walk around the object, the inside glass case vanishes, depending on the angle I view it from. It also affects the glowing object (bright vs dull)

I am sure there is a simple fix that I just don't know about.

If anybody can point me in the right direction I would be most grateful.

TIA

• 1 month later...

I believe this is a common problem in all game engines...how to render transparent objects within other transparent objects.

Even Bethesda's developers / modelers have problems with this. Take for example in New Vegas where you get to put on a space helmet made of transparent glass. The semi-transparent hair on your head sometimes "blinks" out of existence at certain angles making you look bald.

I am not sure there is an easy fix for this if they are separate objects. However, if they are part of the same object (same NiTriStrip), then the solution would be similar to how hair is made. It has to be made in layers...meaning you have to join the objects in a certain order.

If I try to explain any further, I will just end up butchering up the actual solution. Do some research on how to make hair to find a possible solution.

LHammonds

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it.

As it turns out, I have just recently created a hairstyle of my own and had the same issue. I resolved it using the method you've described.

Oddly enough, it didn't click with me that I should/could/would use the same steps on my glass objects.

Getting on it now, again, thanks!!