Skyrim Original or SSE?

Wolfmod

I came back to Skyrim a couple of months ago after playing other games for the last couple of years. In my Steam account I had both Skyrim and Skyrim SSE and they were both brand new vanilla installations. So, I launched the later to see what was new and I did so without going near any mod at all. I wanted to see the vanilla differences. I have a top of the range rig with a 12Gb DDR Titan X card with a high speed 8 core processor and 32Gb of Ram. I was expecting this new offering from Bethesda to wow me even with low res textures etc. After all, this was a 64bit installation.

By the time I got through Helgen and started running down the road to Riverwood, I have to say I was not that impressed. Perhaps it was because my memories of this valley from Skyrim Legendary Edition came from the mods I used but I started to take screenshots to form the basis of a comparison. I couldn't help the feeling that what I was seeing was designed for an X-Box or a Play Station with it's lack of definition and detail everywhere I looked.

So, I launched my vanilla copy of Skyrim Legendary and even on the wagon ride the difference was obvious. With both installations I had enabled Nvidia's graphics settings for Skyrim or Skyrim SE as was applicable and I had disabled DoF to give me a look at the LOD and the definition. Neither installation had ENBs but when I looked out across the valley to the Barrow I knew that something was wrong. With Skyrim Legendary the LOD seemed further, the textures of the trees, rocks and flowers around me were sharper, the contrast was slightly higher and the look was far superior. Sure, it needed modding desperately but what I was looking at was what we all saw on the first day of Skyrim's launch - a game that would change gaming.

So, am I wrong? Have I miscalculated? Is Skyrim SE the platform advance that we'd hoped for? Or, is it a trap to move away from PC gaming to the full control of consoles and push technology? I'm not that well technically trained to judge. What do the experts that crowd this forum think on this?