Employers asking for Facebook account details.

Halororor

More Big Brother nonsense that needs to be nipped in the bud. When it starts happening here in the U.K. though, I forsee the perfect excuse for dole-wallahs(the permanently unemployed) - oh I couldn't take the job 'coz 'e wanted me Facebook account, innit, invasion of me privacy, innit. They'll never work again!

It shouldn't happen here, the ICO have said it would be a breach of the Data Protection Act.

Whats bad is that employers are not the only ones asking for such information.

Some college professors require access to your FB and Twitter in order for you to be in class as well. And now public schools go through their students facebooks.

It is a good thing I don't use Twitter or Facebook, but god *censored* it, it is still a major invasion of privacy. I know that one of my friends were kicked out of school because he was drinking out of a red cup in one of his pictures. *There was no alcohol*

I can almost kinda sorta see that if you access things from a school computer, you should have zero expectation of privacy...... However, I am not going to hand my user information to any forums, or mail accounts that I use, to anyone. That's like having your potential employer open your mail at your house. Screw that.

I don't use facebook, twitter, or any of the other social sites in any event. I don't need my personal life on display for anyone, even my friends, on the 'net. I just don't see the point.

That's like having your potential employer open your mail

strangely enough

that is a US Federal Crime

edit for clarity ->

a husband opening mail addressed to a wife is questionable

but an employer opening main addressed to an employee (even at work) is expressly a Federal crime

Edited by Fonger

strangely enough

edit for clarity ->

but an employer opening main addressed to an employee (even at work) is expressly a Federal crime

I fail to see the difference in e-mail..... laws need to catch up with the times. :D

i have a idea, make a fake account and place all the topics related to how this is a invasion of privacy before looking for a job just incase, if they ask you for a facebook pass and username, give out that one instead. i mean flood it with forums links and other stuff talking how it invades your privacy, get there attention that you really disprove of there actions.

Again reallllly flood it so thats all they see.:devil:

Edited by Thor.

strangely enough

edit for clarity ->

I fail to see the difference in e-mail..... laws need to catch up with the times. :D

now you are catching on

When I was in my HR class the prof said to walk out immediately if any boss or supervisor asks you for your personal website info during an interview. It's kind of very illegal to not hire someone if they're unwilling to disclose personal, non-work related information and FB is considered such.