General Mod Advice Needed, Behind on Modding....

yarddogg77

I haven't played in a while. I also haven't modded in a while with this game. I'm just looking for general advice. So here's some questions.

How does the Bethesda Mod menu work? Does it mess up load orders? It looks easy to use, but sketchy since there are no comments, or anything else.

I noticed there is now a SSE Script Extender. Can anyone point me towards the official page?

Also, Do you guys recommend sticking with the Nexus Mod Manager, or is there a new alternative that works out better, such as the Bethesda mod menu?

Also, I'm looking for mods to support the new Survival Add On.

And finally.... Any other misc. advice you want to offer me or mods that increase immersion I would like to hear about.

If you are willing to take the time to learn how to use a new manager, I highly recommend Mod Organizer 2, it's downloadable here on nexus. As opposed to NMM it allows you total power of how you control your game; first of all it is isolated, that means it treats each mod ie esp as its own load order, this mean you get to pick which mods you wish to run and the order they were installed by means of profiling, so you can essentially run any type of mods with any installation order at any time without risk of ruining your game. NMM does not do that.

As far SSE Script Extender, you can find it on here: http://skse.silverlock.org/

Lastly, give Vitality Mode a try here on nexus, it's a fairly new mod, but the mod is light weight and does so while not impeding in the main aspect of the game. It's similar to FNV Hardcore mode if you have played or seen it on youtube you'll know what I mean.

Welcome back to the game

Cheers and regards,

Don't use the Bethesda Mod menu. Anything but that. I still use NMM, but I like to manually install a lot of data files for modding purposes. My main use for it is adjusting my load order.

But, Yeah. Definitely use a mod Manager. Can't stress this enough. Which one is up to you. Ask ten people which is the best and you will get ten different answers.

If you are new to modding then hold off on SKSE64 until you have a better grip on things. It's very cool what it can do, but if you don't know what you are doing it can get confusing. Not to mention that official updates to the game will break it and you'll be waiting for an update to play your game again. I'm not saying don't use it, I'm just saying make sure you understand it and how keep it working right before you load up on SKSE dependant mods.

Backup your Skyrim and SkyrimLauncher EXEs and store them someplace safe. You will glad you did when Steam force updates and breaks any version dependent mods you are running.

Don't add a bunch of mods all at once. Makes it too hard to trouble shoot. Especially ones that add leveled list. I personally avoid those, because I don't feel like messing with a bashed patch. I'm changing my load order too much to want to deal with that every time I try out a new mod.

Get familiar with the file structure used in mods. It doesn't hurt to have a peak inside that 7.z file you just downloaded to see what files it's adding.

Learn at least some basics about the Creation Kit. At some point you're going to need it.

Mostly, though, have fun with it.

Bethesda mod menu: Nope. Run away!

Vortex is in alpha - use it only if you're willing to put up with your game crashing and burning with a smile so you can report what happened to the Vortex devs. (It IS helpful to them, though!)

You should mess around with mods for a while on your own, without getting invested in a particular character. Expect to mess up and reinstall everything. Twice. Or more.

Then follow a guide. The two I like are these:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/15984

and

https://audiodef.blogspot.com/2018/04/have-gaming-hobby.html

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. I should have clarified right from the start, I'm not new to modding. I've been modding Bethesda games since Fallout 3. As a matter of fact. I have 2 of my own mods I would love to release, unfortunately I can't seem to figure out Papyrus, like at all. Both mods would require the courier to deliver a letter, and I can't even get that accomplished, so I guess my mods will stay in my own load order forever. I should just reach out to a real mod maker and get some support because one of the mods has never even been touched on in this game. I have used MO before, it was okay, I like the idea of being able to setup more than one type of playthrough. I might look at it again.

So they have released Script Extender, definitely gonna DL that.

So, I have played through SSE once, are there any must have bugs or fixes? Seemed pretty stable to me at the time.

What about mods? I always liked the survival mods, now I actually purchased the survival add on from Bethesda. I haven't played since I bought it. I heard there is no Thrist! What mod would you recommend to add thirst need to my character? As far as other mods, are there any that you would recommend for adding playthrough time such as new lands and quests? I don't know if you guys ever heard of the mod called Forgotten Magic, but it was awesome and I would like another magic mod to make my character more awesome. I don't care about eye candy because the game looks good enough for me. Also, I was messing around with mods to make melly combat more interesting too such as Dul Sheath Redux, just wondering if there is anything later and greater.

survival/needs mods: Frostfall, ineed, realistic needs and diseases, Campfire, Wet and cold

Quest/new lands mods (of the top of my head): Falskaar, Helgen Reborn, Legacy of the dragonborn, Beyond Reach, The Forgotten City

I know all of the above have been ported to SSE but not played/used all of them so can not vouch for their stability at this time.

Edited by KaldorMintat

In addition to the excellent recommendations before: New lands and quest: BRUMA! https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/10917

Never used DSR, so I can't say, if it's still the standard. In general, don't expect too much regarding mods that need SKSE. It hasn't been out for too long, and adjusting mods takes time... In the department of custom animation and combat styles, there's generally a lot to be done. Skyrim SE is nowhere close to where "Oldrim" is.

As for magic: "Forgotten Magic" was ported to SE. In fact, it's my favourite magic mod, too. I like how it gives you different options to develop and specialize your magic skills - and spend some time on that... Just grab it here: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/12711

The well known "Apocalypse" and "Summermyst" (for Enchantments) were ported as well. And with "Tomebound", we got a very interesting newcomer. Definitely worth a try! https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/16547