oldrim vs sse

wolfhorse60

I'm trying to move over because it's more stable but so far I've been disappointed and annoyed more than relieved. Its just that after 10 or so hours LE version crashes, and continuously keeps crashing no mater what so I have little choice but to move my business over to SE .

Mods that previously had indicators on screen, do not have those in SSE (frostfall, Ineed)

Mods that had MCM menus, now usually don't have it

MCM menu's that are broken (Especially Frostfall)

Some mods installed that I can't even figure out if they are working because thers zero indication at all. (Convenient horses)

Edit

apparently all my issues can be tracked back because of the scrip extender 64 version being Alpha and mods simple not using it yet.

CH finally kicked in working, and Frostfall can be 'fixed' by installing some Papyrus mod. Didn't go the whole 9 yards to fix up the menu's but clothes give proper cover now !

Edited by Aikospacerogue

Legendary still has the superior ENB and if tweaked can make the atmosphere and feel of the game really immersive as a feature in itself.

I think the ENB argument is weak. ENB is not a mod. It has had a good track record with stability thanks to the hard work and dedication of Boris. It is not depedent on either version of Skyrim (although the ini would specifically work just for that one version).

But frankly, with the newest binaries, ENB is so powerful now we can replicate everything we want (depending on your ENB knowledge and artistic skill). Back 1 year ago I had the hardest time with FO4 in term of ENB because one setting may work well in day time would screw me over at dawn or night time. Raise the shadow to get more details and the highlights are blown out. Painful.

I am currently using PRT ENB. I donât claim I can create such setup from scratch. But with this setup, and despite the author saying not to tweak certain part, I tweak to my heart content. I can independently tweak day and night totally separately from each other. The only thing left for desire is how the game engine renders light and how ENB handles SSS ... still quite horrible.

But ENB will get better, not worse.

Edited by tomomi1922

I think the ENB argument is weak..

I think it's a very valid argument.

The atmosphere and feel that can be created with the Legendary ENB is well demonstrated I can give you 2 quick examples based on screenshots and presets on the Nexus:

1. Sun Rays - these can be tweaked so that as you walk through the forest light shafts dance through the trees, it gives a magical feel to the game.

2. Window Lights and Interior Lighting - by reducing the ambient light and increasing the direct light in conjuction with the window light, the gothic catherdral look can be created here. Light streaming in through the windows but the corners of the room are dark, gives a real eerie feeling.

The SE ENB is catching up but in terms of creativity and atmosphere it cannot match the Legendary ENB, sure NAT has a lot of great features but it cannot bridge that gap. I mean look at the unique presets such as Antique Dragon ENB, CubBorn ENB and even Tetrachromatic. K ENB has an SE version and Kyokushinoyama knows his stuff but the last update was back in December 2016, it's not like he needs that time to re-learn.

At this point in time the Legendary ENB is a valid reason for people to stick with that game as it allows them to tweak the visual feel of the game.

My main problem with using LE now has nothing to do with graphics, but just the benefit on cpu load and scripts in SE. I can run multiple script heavy things and a lot of NPCs and never crash. You could have a battlefield of soldiers with Wet n Cold, Footprints, gore, and whatever and not even think about it causing harm. And this is all I want to do at the end of the day: To stop thinking about the damn game and just play it. lol. With LE, it eventually felt like a flimsy house of cards after a certain point.

Oh yeah totally get the stability angle, I keep going between the two and it's the ENB that keeps me on Legendary.

I like atmosphere and the ENB allows me to be creative. Its those little extra settings like particle lights and point lighting that enable you to tweak the mood. Anyway, we'll see what magic Boris can weave in the future.

I've just started using 3d trees and its amazing :) The multiple NPC's thing could be great too, we might see more town mods popping up to flesh out the world and bring new stories.

My main problem with using LE now has nothing to do with graphics, but just the benefit on cpu load and scripts in SE. I can run multiple script heavy things and a lot of NPCs and never crash. You could have a battlefield of soldiers with Wet n Cold, Footprints, gore, and whatever and not even think about it causing harm. And this is all I want to do at the end of the day: To stop thinking about the damn game and just play it. lol. With LE, it eventually felt like a flimsy house of cards after a certain point.

Some people can't code themselves out of a wet paper bag.

Some people can't code themselves out of a wet paper bag.

Coding is not easy for proprietary stuff like this Skyrim engine. If coding is English, then coding in Skyrim is to bring a great public speaker to ... argue in a court of law. No matter how eloquent he is, knowing nothing of the law (at least against the other lawyer and the judge), it will just be a big laugh for everyone. It's about syntax and knowledge of the system. For a while, one of a popular interview request for a software engineer is ... to build a battleship game, from scratch, in 30 minutes. Nothing fancy, but it has to be baseline functional. Yeah, I think I can still do that. But when I look into the script codes, I don't know what the hell is going on. What are they existing global variables, what are they allowable parameters, ... no clue. I can learn, but since I am already at full capacity learning something else vital for work and my career, learning to code with Skyrim is out of the question. This is happening to a lot of us who are capable to learn but just can't afford to commit. It's time-consuming enough to work on "modding" already.

I think the ENB argument is weak..

I think it's a very valid argument.

The atmosphere and feel that can be created with the Legendary ENB is well demonstrated I can give you 2 quick examples based on screenshots and presets on the Nexus:

1. Sun Rays - these can be tweaked so that as you walk through the forest light shafts dance through the trees, it gives a magical feel to the game.

2. Window Lights and Interior Lighting - by reducing the ambient light and increasing the direct light in conjuction with the window light, the gothic catherdral look can be created here. Light streaming in through the windows but the corners of the room are dark, gives a real eerie feeling.

The SE ENB is catching up but in terms of creativity and atmosphere it cannot match the Legendary ENB, sure NAT has a lot of great features but it cannot bridge that gap. I mean look at the unique presets such as Antique Dragon ENB, CubBorn ENB and even Tetrachromatic. K ENB has an SE version and Kyokushinoyama knows his stuff but the last update was back in December 2016, it's not like he needs that time to re-learn.

At this point in time the Legendary ENB is a valid reason for people to stick with that game as it allows them to tweak the visual feel of the game.

I don't want to sound like I have to win this argument. But I feel you completely missed my point. "Good ENB" and "good graphics" are not exclusive to Skyrim LE. The person behind ENB, not sure how he is sustaining it, has been working tirelessly on ENB all these years. He just released a new binaries recently. So if he could do it for the older Skyrim LE, you think he can't do it for Skyrim SE? In fact, the newest binaries, along with my PRT ENB, really make SSS works (beside just some orange glowing hot-rod). It's not perfect, but it's way better. Sun rays, windows light, interrior lights ... there are so many things can be adjustable independently.

So if you loved the ENB for Skyrim LE, Skyrim SE is not behind. More advanced, if anything. This is why I said the argument is weak, because you have ENB no matter where you go (Skyrim wise). I do work with Da Vinci Resolve as part of my work, and I can tell you the current ENB setup allows me a lot of freedom like a real color correction software. It's not easy to compare, one is a video color grader, the other is a game. But I feel I have almost the same power with ENB now as it is with Da Vinci. Just 1 year ago, I was crying of frustration with FO4 because the controls were so primitive I could not get what I want: get the day to look right would mess up the night; get the shadow to look right would mess up the face. Now I am really happy with Skyrim SSE and ENB.

I don't want to sound like I have to win this argument. But I feel you completely missed my point. "Good ENB" and "good graphics" are not exclusive to Skyrim LE. The person behind ENB, not sure how he is sustaining it, has been working tirelessly on ENB all these years. He just released a new binaries recently. So if he could do it for the older Skyrim LE, you think he can't do it for Skyrim SE? In fact, the newest binaries, along with my PRT ENB, really make SSS works (beside just some orange glowing hot-rod). It's not perfect, but it's way better. Sun rays, windows light, interrior lights ... there are so many things can be adjustable independently.

So if you loved the ENB for Skyrim LE, Skyrim SE is not behind. More advanced, if anything. This is why I said the argument is weak, because you have ENB no matter where you go (Skyrim wise). I do work with Da Vinci Resolve as part of my work, and I can tell you the current ENB setup allows me a lot of freedom like a real color correction software. It's not easy to compare, one is a video color grader, the other is a game. But I feel I have almost the same power with ENB now as it is with Da Vinci. Just 1 year ago, I was crying of frustration with FO4 because the controls were so primitive I could not get what I want: get the day to look right would mess up the night; get the shadow to look right would mess up the face. Now I am really happy with Skyrim SSE and ENB.

This is silly as it was you that responded to my post, I then illustrated my points further by using examples of how the Legendary ENB can be used and gave examples of presets that have a unique 'atmospheric' feel.

So if you loved the ENB for Skyrim LE, Skyrim SE is not behind. More advanced, if anything

How is the SE ENB more advanced?

When at present there are no detailed shadows, no skylightng (NAT skylighting doesn't count), no sun rays, no point lighting and reflections. Even Boris himself has been quoted that he cannot bring all the features across.

Whether you have advanced colouring features as per Da Vinci is not my concern, as I further explained that's not what I use ENB for. Otherwise I'd have settled on CFL ENB.

For you to then come along by saying

I don't want to sound like I have to win this argument.

Why did you respond? Especially when you haven't grasped the original point.

Legendary still has the superior ENB and if tweaked can make the atmosphere and feel of the game really immersive as a feature in itself.