Bought Oblivion On Pc From D.Load

Papajack55

Okay, I bought Oblivion download GOTY from the download center on the PC FOR THE PC. Will I be able to mod it if I wish? Just wondering because my disc broke the foil after 4 years of playing the same game disc.

AFAIK only the D2D version is difficult to mod, other goty versions can be modded and obse should work fine.

Hey guess what? I found out the hard way that the Game doesn't even work on my computer and it's even more or less up to date as far as Oblivion GOTY. That includes no mods, no OBSE, nothing, just the game....It still won't play. They kept going "Duh, well, let me check on it," and "be back to you," and so on. I still have the game on the down load there but decided to erase it off my computer because they haven't helped me at all. This is GameStop.com too.

One other thing? It stated it was possibly pirated due to it not having a disc and in the read me, it stated insert the disc to install.There was a registry code but no unlocking key for a no-disc game. Beginning to start sounding fishy to me just a bit. I know their a big company and all, but the fact remains, if they sold one copy like that, that's going to make them look bad....really bad.

The only download source for Oblivion if you want to use mods that rely on OBSE is Steam. The OBSE team worked with Steam to make OBSE work ... all other legal download sources have not worked with the OBSE team to get the game and OBSE working. Here's a quote from the OBSE site:

OBSE does not work with:

Oblivion 1.2.0.214 This was the official downloadable 1.2 patch. (as of v0017)

Oblivion 1.2.0.410: the Shivering Isles beta patch.

Oblivion 1.2.0.201: the Shivering Isles DVD build.

Oblivion 1.1.0.511 This was the original Oblivion that OBSE supported. (as of v0017)

Oblivion 1.0: the original DVD build of Oblivion.

The Direct2Drive version of Oblivion or Shivering Isles. The Oblivion.exe provided by D2D is encrypted, and we cannot patch it without breaking the encryption. We will not do this, as it is illegal.

The Impulse version of Oblivion or Shivering Isles. The Oblivion.exe provided by Impulse is also encrypted.

If you can, I'd suggest getting a refund and either buy the game from Steam or perhaps locate a used disk copy for sale somewhere (disk copies of the game can be patched to version 1.2.0416).

The only download source for Oblivion if you want to use mods that rely on OBSE is Steam. The OBSE team worked with Steam to make OBSE work ... all other legal download sources have not worked with the OBSE team to get the game and OBSE working. Here's a quote from the OBSE site:

OBSE does not work with:

Oblivion 1.2.0.214 This was the official downloadable 1.2 patch. (as of v0017)

Oblivion 1.2.0.410: the Shivering Isles beta patch.

Oblivion 1.2.0.201: the Shivering Isles DVD build.

Oblivion 1.1.0.511 This was the original Oblivion that OBSE supported. (as of v0017)

Oblivion 1.0: the original DVD build of Oblivion.

The Direct2Drive version of Oblivion or Shivering Isles. The Oblivion.exe provided by D2D is encrypted, and we cannot patch it without breaking the encryption. We will not do this, as it is illegal.

The Impulse version of Oblivion or Shivering Isles. The Oblivion.exe provided by Impulse is also encrypted.

If you can, I'd suggest getting a refund and either buy the game from Steam or perhaps locate a used disk copy for sale somewhere (disk copies of the game can be patched to version 1.2.0416).

Hey Striker, man thanks a lot. I just found out that once you buy a game from GameStop, your pretty much screwed. No refunds either. I also found out that they may without them knowing the situtation, may have sold one or more "pirated copies" without them knowing it. As you know when you sell D2D downloads, when you sell them, even though there are no discs, you have to include "no-disc key" with the game download in order for it to play. I never received such. It's just a little thing that opens with the game that helps the comp not think or come up with the error "You may have pirated this game," That's what happened in my case.

But hey on the other info, thanks a lot. Pretty helpful there on it.

If you can't get anywhere with GameStop I'd report them to Bethesda. Make sure you save all emails (including email receipts for your purchase) and all files that were included with the download. It's bad enough when D2D and Impulse don't tell you upfront that their version of the game is incompatible with OBSE (which is required for the majority of recent mods) ... to be selling pirated software is just plain illegal.