Girls who play guy characters

Lifferds

The reverse Q almost is always asked, but I can't say I've seen this one too frequently. Do girls play girl or boy characters? And why?

I'm a guy and have played both ways, female in less barbaric roles and after the mods catch up. Not much effort is given beefcake mods.

Well, I can't help you gentlemen as to why your wives play male characters. You'll have to ask them. :biggrin:

As for me, I mostly play female characters because in terms of this sort of role-playing, I like someone I can associate with in the world. I do have a tendency to play a male character if I'm planning on playing a warrior wielding a two-handed weapon simply because I don't think that the body models for the female characters in any game really suit a two-hander. While a two-hander isn't exactly going to be of Arnie-esque proportions (watch him use a two-hand sword in Conan - he looks damn awkward trying to use some moves around all that muscle), most of the female models, even if you crank the weight slider up to the maximum, are still too slight for me to picture them being able to do that effectively. In other games, I've played male characters for various story purposes to see how things are different or because I want to explore a specific story-line.

Admittedly, not everyone does the female characters well. Bethesda is actually pretty good. There doesn't seem to be any major differences between how the female and male characters play in terms of fighting style and whatnot. (Other than the obvious he/she in the dialogue... and like many women, I'm completely in love with the way Brynjolf calls my characters 'lass'.) Unlike DA2, where the hip-swaying running style of fem!Hawke made my back ache in sympathy. They'd clearly never actually gone and watched an athletic woman run. Anyone actually running like that for any length of time would likely put a vertebrae/disc or two out of alignment pretty damn quick. Admittedly Bethesda's characters all seem to run like they've got a stick shoved up their butt and they're desperate to keep it there but it seems to be a standard running style for all character, not just the women. :biggrin:

I'm a girl but at first I was playing mainly female characters because I think I could relate more. But after 2 characters with 100 hours+, I just got bored (yes, quite a simple reason) so later I changed to play male characters. (I also feel like the animations for male characters are better done than female's (e.g. running animation), also I feel more powerful playing a male character. :P But that's justtt me. Edited by feenixfly

I'm a girl who plays girl characters most of the time - mainly because in most games you are forced to be a guy, and it's refreshing to be who/what you want to be. But sometimes I play a guy too, just because. I see it mainly as a story. Sometimes you want to read/watch a story about a guy main character and not someone you'd see yourself as, even though you are making 1st person decisions. Ish.