Captcha on Login

kamikatze13

The easiest way to resolve the captcha is blacklist nexus.

Do not click any of the endorse, donate buttons.

Remove any hosted mods you have.

Show your disapproval by not helping nexus pay their server fees.

Be treated like a mongrel, act like a mongrel to suit the treatment......

Obviously whining in this thread will get you nowhere.

Start new threads when you want to whine about the captcha.

Basically make the site as inconvenient for nexus as nexus has done for you.

Strongest protests are usually resolved by making a stand, not agreeing to the sites advice and whining in one thread like sheep.

I have had multiple users ask for the small mods I removed from Nexus.

I explain to them my reason for removal and advise them to thank Nexus management.

If I upload my small mods elsewhere I will let those that asked know.

But Nexus has absolutely turned me off wanting to share mods period!

Ahh well fun while it lasted.

All things must change.

Edited by sLoPpYdOtBiGhOlE

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These captchas seem a bit pointless. If I get a captcha on the logon screen, simply reloading the page usually makes it go away. Then I can logon normally without the captcha :smile:

Edited by steve40

Simply reloading the screen doesn't work for me.

Takes me about 10 - 15 tries (sometimes more) to get in and that's using the mixed/distorted letters (which is the only captcha I ever get).

And it's not just a sometimes captcha, it's an every-time I come to this site to log in captcha. (every time - Very annoying)

I try typing what I see, some are pretty clear, I know what the letters are, but it still wont let me in.

AND listening to the audible, which doesn't ever match the visible captcha still wont let me in.

This whole captcha thing is just a HUGE inconvenience and wastes my precious time trying to get into the site.

Captcha IS broke! And definitely makes me NOT want to use Nexus anymore.

Edited by The Ossus Keeper

We are aware and have been able to identify the issues that are affecting many of you regarding the 'fall-back' captcha mechanism (not related to reCaptcha). Currently, our testing in these particular scenarios result in about a one in nine chance of logging in successfully which mirrors what many of you are reporting.

We are working to find a resolution to this as soon as possible and we will report back. Thank you for your patience with this.

Edit: Updates have been made that should allow for successful completion of the fall-back captcha (for those who do not / can not see reCaptcha). Please let us know if you continue to have issues completing the challenge(s). Thank you and many apologies for the inconvenience!

The easiest way to resolve the captcha is blacklist nexus.

[snip]

Yeah, engaging in brigade tactics never ends favorably for those who do that. You'd be more likely to be banned as a spammer than you would be to get them to remove a security feature.

We are aware and have been able to identify the issues that are affecting many of you regarding the 'fall-back' captcha mechanism (not related to reCaptcha). Currently, our testing in these particular scenarios result in about a one in nine chance of logging in successfully which mirrors what many of you are reporting.

We are working to find a resolution to this as soon as possible and we will report back. Thank you for your patience with this.

Edit: Updates have been made that should allow for successful completion of the fall-back captcha (for those who do not / can not see reCaptcha). Please let us know if you continue to have issues completing the challenge(s). Thank you and many apologies for the inconvenience!

Thank you for taking the time to validate our claims. It is more than appreciated. While I do not speak for everyone that has brought this up, I personally appreciate it, and await word on what was discovered. Also, I managed to only need to perform the captcha twice (couldnt read the first one, refreshed it, it accepted what I typed).

Honestly, the more I read in this thread the more of a mistake this whole captcha business appears to be.

And I've never seen more people in one place so eager to complain about a scenario they've inflicted on themselves willingly in my life.

Issue goes both ways you know.

If we were not eager to complain, the site would not do very well, would it? Too often people are required to simply accept mediocrity, or "half-working" devices, simply because they are told to (in general, not speaking specifically with the Nexus). In this case, we were right. Im glad that you were either able to simply accept the issues, or never experienced them, but your singular interaction with the problem did not, and should not, dictate what others are going through. Simple as that. In many cases, sure, issue goes both ways. In this case, despite how quickly you decided things for us, it was not a two way street.

If enough people are having issues with a singular "thing," thats usually a pretty big red flag that it isnt user error, regardless of what other aspects are there that you disagree with.

Also, and this is just a personal note: I wouldnt recommend commenting on a thread dealing with a specific issue, unless you have further proof the issue exists, or you attempt to help solve it. Commenting simply to say we complain too much (on an issue that, clearly, had nothing to do with you) isnt helpful, to anyone. Yes, I understand the irony in what I just said, as I post this.

Thanks again, @SirSalami, for the response!

Edited by amullinix

If we were not eager to complain, the site would not do very well, would it? Too often people are required to simply accept mediocrity, or "half-working" devices, simply because they are told to (in general, not speaking specifically with the Nexus). In this case, we were right. Im glad that you were either able to simply accept the issues, or never experienced them, but your singular interaction with the problem did not, and should not, dictate what others are going through. Simple as that. In many cases, sure, issue goes both ways. In this case, despite how quickly you decided things for us, it was not a two way street.

Except it was. You're here complaining. So you got logged in. Therefore I must assume you were able to process the captchas. Maybe you're not who I am referring to here. Maybe you are. You'd have to tell me that.

If enough people are having issues with a singular "thing," thats usually a pretty big red flag that it isnt user error, regardless of what other aspects are there that you disagree with.

Nope. I've seen enough people say "it's your fault" and be proven utterly wrong to stop accepting this "500 people are complaining so it must be real" attitude anymore. Especially when the only ones complaining so much are at the same time actively impeding their own use of the service they're complaining about.

Also, and this is just a personal note: I wouldnt recommend commenting on a thread dealing with a specific issue, unless you have further proof the issue exists, or you attempt to help solve it. Commenting simply to say we complain too much (on an issue that, clearly, had nothing to do with you) isnt helpful, to anyone. Yes, I understand the irony in what I just said, as I post this.

Thanks for the advice, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to reject it as useless. Other people have commented on the same thing I did and they were all 100% correct to do so. Unless the moderators tell us not to, why should we be barred from commenting on the REAL cause of your problem? Just ebcause there also happened to be some other minor issues with the secondary system does not invalidate the fact that your settings are what interferes with the primary system.

Arthmoor,

I dont expect you to read this response (not a dig at you, just a remark). tl;dr - I disagree with a couple of your responses, and clarify a couple of mine. I also just realized that I repeat myself a few times. Forgive me for that.

I appreciate the conversation and, regardless of why the issue was there, it appears I am finally able to login successfully. At least for now. Also so long as I dont fat-finger an incorrect answer.

Cheers.

*What I said*

Except it was. You're here complaining. So you got logged in. Therefore I must assume you were able to process the captchas. Maybe you're not who I am referring to here. Maybe you are. You'd have to tell me that.

No, it wasnt. There were multiple individuals complaining about the same feature, all with different ways of arriving at the same issue. One in particular, went through what appeared to be a lengthy researching process, all to arrive at the same result: the captcha, as a whole, wasnt working properly. SirSalami validated at least half of that. This would not have been dealt with, had it not been complained about (cant know about an issue unless someone brings it up, basically). I do not question the irritation at the amount of complaints. Nor do I question the irritation at the lack informative complaints, with adequate information backing them up.

I dont recommend assuming anything. My original issue was the captcha not recognizing when an accurate result was typed. I had already stated that the repeated need for captcha, as a result of my CCleaner wiping everything whenever I closed all the windows out, was not the issue. It was the inaccuracy of the captcha. A result I was echoing. Regardless of my result, it still does not mean that how you decide to operate on the internet, is the only sane way.

*What I said*

Nope. I've seen enough people say "it's your fault" and be proven utterly wrong to stop accepting this "500 people are complaining so it must be real" attitude anymore. Especially when the only ones complaining so much are at the same time actively impeding their own use of the service they're complaining about.

When dealing with your mods, and issues rising from improper use, I %100 agree that taking that stance is incorrect. I thought you would use that as an example (perceived inference on my part here), and I shouldve said something in my previous response. I dont doubt for a second, that when it comes to your mods (or mod use in general, not just yours), and the individuals that use them, user error is, more often than not, the actual issue. The common denominator with the captcha issue, was that it was literally not working. It wasnt that it kept coming up, or that typical means of bypassing werent working. It just wasnt working, as a whole. Many, many people described that the audio wasnt even working correctly. As in, regardless of how they arrived at the captcha, it was not letting them use it properly. I fail to see how, with multiple reports of a mechanical issue out of the users hands, it cant be surmised that maybe it isnt their fault.

*What I said*

Thanks for the advice, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to reject it as useless. Other people have commented on the same thing I did and they were all 100% correct to do so. Unless the moderators tell us not to, why should we be barred from commenting on the REAL cause of your problem? Just ebcause there also happened to be some other minor issues with the secondary system does not invalidate the fact that your settings are what interferes with the primary system.

I apologize for coming off as an ass here. I was upset, but that isnt an appropriate response. I understand that others commented, and would never imply you shouldnt be allowed to. My only implication was that maybe, to avoid the appearance of wanting to start a fight, that commenting should be limited to what directly relates to the issue. Again, I understand the irony here.

There were issues with both systems, regardless of settings. This was explicitly stated by many people, a lot of whom did not hinder themselves the way I did. Again, as previously stated, I use CCleaner to wipe my stuff. It wasnt the repetition of captcha, but the inaccuracy.

I use CCleaner to wipe my stuff.

Yes, and this is precisely what I'm getting at. You are actively impeding the function of the captcha by doing this.

One thing I think we can agree on though is that IPB's quote system sucks :P