⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

The Overlord of Overhauls - EnaiSiaion

BigBizkit

In response to post #61784387.

Jinxxed0 wrote: Ever since 2008, I've been saying that user created content is the future of gaming. Making long lasting content for games takes a long time. Developers spend hundreds of hours making something that only takes a few hours to play. That's crazy when you think about adding content to MMOs and online games.

However, when you look at something like Second Life, something that's 99.99% user created content, the world is so huge and ever expanding that no single person could ever see the entire thing in one life time, including the developers themselves. I shake my head when people say "people still play Second Life?" yep. the same amount as always 50,000 concurrent users online 24/7 for years. i think it peaked at 65k to 75k back in 2010, but it's almost always been about 40k-55k on average. Then you had something like City of Heroes. They introduced a mission making system which almost instantly injected the game with 25 times the content than the game ever had. They could have approved the top missions to be official, but never mothered. The system still kept the game fresh for a while though.

Then you look at Skyrim and other BGS games. I have nearly 3,000 hours and haven't even done more than 40% of the vanilla content. I think there's a way to add value to games with user created content, but the Creation Kit isn't one of them. All the creation kit did was add microtransactions to single player games. And now people pirate mods. Pirating mods. Think about that for a moment. There's a better way for sure, and I think the Nexus found it for the Donation Point system and supplementing it with Patreon. i would like to add though, there there should maybe be another donation pool for those who would rather do a one time donation for that month or whenever they have the cash to spare. I know people, like myself, who don't like monthly subscriptions and would rather do random one time "payments" for everything. Like, I'd like to see a button where I can donate to the Donation Pool once and be done with it until i can donate to it again without worrying about canceling something a month later just to make sure that first payment went through while stopping the second. Just food for thought if any admins read this.

Ever since 2008, I've been saying that user created content is the future of gaming.
It is, but not the way you think. The Creation Club is brilliant: take a mod scene that is known for unlimited creativity and unpaid labour and tame it, channel it into a source of free or cheap content for your own game. Reward the best authors with a job and everyone else will compete to be the next. Rather than random stuff like Sexlab or entirely new games like Dota and battle royales that are only tangentially related to the parent game the developers are trying to sell, authors will put their unpaid heart and soul into making content Bethesda wants to see.

This may be a good thing, as it gives the best authors a revenue stream and encourages others to step it up in terms of quality and support. "It's free, eat s#*!" is no longer such an appealing retort to a bug report when Bethesda might be watching.

It came far too late for Skyrim and a bit too late for FO4, but I predict the TESVI mod scene will be centred on the Creation Club. Most content created will be along the lines of Creation Club content; new people will join, driven by the hope to one day work for Bethesda; and users will download mainly Creation Club content because it's vetted and -let's be honest- mods are a hassle to install and use.

I could be wrong. I may be right. We'll see.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #61752302. #61777427, #61778377, #61779667, #61781432 are all replies on the same post.

Tsumikiro wrote: As has been said already, and will probably be said many more times: much of Enai's work is essential for my enjoyment of Skyrim. Whenever someone asks me about modding Skyrim, the short answer is always, "get everything by EnaiSiaion." Here is to hoping that Bethesda just puts him in charge of ES6's mechanical details.
DaBlake wrote: lol that's me in my local TES facebook group
EnaiSiaion wrote: Bethesda doesn't consider me to have any skills they want. It doesn't matter, TESVI will sell like hotcakes regardless. Gameplay is overrated.

Thanks though.
BinakAlgo wrote: >Bethesda doesn't consider me to have any skills they want.

What's wrong with them? At this point, I'm starting to suspect that TES6 is going to have 2 schools of magic, just 1 armor, and 1 weapon skill and it will be a button smashing galore and hope that people like you are still around to make the thing playable. Because if they don't want that even in their paid mods club, then I don't know where we are going to get quality gameplay. :/
PureModding wrote: Sadly this is what sells today (it seems)
Although if you look at the popularity of ordinator you could think otherwise.

I see my statement is being used to attack Bethesda.

Skyrim is still the most popular single player game on Steam. It sold more copies than the entire population of many European countries. Bethesda knows exactly what people want, and "better gameplay" is evidently not what people want. The gameplay in Skyrim is adequate and does not detract from the game's strengths, which is all it needs to be.

Bethesda is looking for people with the skill set to amplify their strengths and further extend their lead over also-ran games like CDPR's oeuvre. They have no reason to patch up their weaknesses if no one really cares about said weaknesses. (Case in point: the popularity of Arcane Accessories despite its obvious faults. It adds spells and makes mages viable on legendary, which is all the community really wanted out of it, so mission accomplished. One could argue that perhaps it matches the needs of the community more closely than Apocalypse, which may add too many spells that may be too complicated.)

In the end, Bethesda knows a lot better than you and I what sells, and what people download for free may not align with what they spend money on. Ordinator does not belong in Skyrim, end of story. Edited by EnaiSiaion

In response to post #61775332.

IBelieveInCake wrote: Now I'm curious about what items Enai helped create in Path of Exile

Wheel of the Stormsail, Facebreaker, Rat's Nest, Deidbell, etc. Also every item that shares a name with a MXL unique, like Icetomb etc.

Note: early access, so available attributes were limited. Still think Deidbell is cool.

In response to post #61810847.

axonis wrote: Thank you EnaiSiaion for everything you've done for this community. I hope you will be rewarded for that.

And for writing a de profundis posting at Reddit which made me reconsider certain aspects of modding and free time. I'll be forever grateful for that.

And for writing a de profundis posting at Reddit which made me reconsider certain aspects of modding and free time. I'll be forever grateful for that.
<3 Have a (more) fulfilling life.

In response to post #61770542.

AnonymousPlum wrote: Enai's mods are a definite go-to for my load order. Anytime I reinstall Skyrim and apply USLEEP, it's off to Enai's Nexus page to get what are hands down the best and most essential overhauls for Skyrim. If he's still looking over the comments, I would like to ask "What is your favourite Elder Scrolls game?". Thanks for your great efforts!! ;)

Morrowind, because it's the truest to what its strengths are and what elements it doesn't care about.

In response to post #61784387. #61812257 is also a reply to the same post.

Jinxxed0 wrote: Ever since 2008, I've been saying that user created content is the future of gaming. Making long lasting content for games takes a long time. Developers spend hundreds of hours making something that only takes a few hours to play. That's crazy when you think about adding content to MMOs and online games.

However, when you look at something like Second Life, something that's 99.99% user created content, the world is so huge and ever expanding that no single person could ever see the entire thing in one life time, including the developers themselves. I shake my head when people say "people still play Second Life?" yep. the same amount as always 50,000 concurrent users online 24/7 for years. i think it peaked at 65k to 75k back in 2010, but it's almost always been about 40k-55k on average. Then you had something like City of Heroes. They introduced a mission making system which almost instantly injected the game with 25 times the content than the game ever had. They could have approved the top missions to be official, but never mothered. The system still kept the game fresh for a while though.

Then you look at Skyrim and other BGS games. I have nearly 3,000 hours and haven't even done more than 40% of the vanilla content. I think there's a way to add value to games with user created content, but the Creation Kit isn't one of them. All the creation kit did was add microtransactions to single player games. And now people pirate mods. Pirating mods. Think about that for a moment. There's a better way for sure, and I think the Nexus found it for the Donation Point system and supplementing it with Patreon. i would like to add though, there there should maybe be another donation pool for those who would rather do a one time donation for that month or whenever they have the cash to spare. I know people, like myself, who don't like monthly subscriptions and would rather do random one time "payments" for everything. Like, I'd like to see a button where I can donate to the Donation Pool once and be done with it until i can donate to it again without worrying about canceling something a month later just to make sure that first payment went through while stopping the second. Just food for thought if any admins read this.
EnaiSiaion wrote:
Ever since 2008, I've been saying that user created content is the future of gaming.
It is, but not the way you think. The Creation Club is brilliant: take a mod scene that is known for unlimited creativity and unpaid labour and tame it, channel it into a source of free or cheap content for your own game. Reward the best authors with a job and everyone else will compete to be the next. Rather than random stuff like Sexlab or entirely new games like Dota and battle royales that are only tangentially related to the parent game the developers are trying to sell, authors will put their unpaid heart and soul into making content Bethesda wants to see.

This may be a good thing, as it gives the best authors a revenue stream and encourages others to step it up in terms of quality and support. "It's free, eat s#*&#33;" is no longer such an appealing retort to a bug report when Bethesda might be watching.

It came far too late for Skyrim and a bit too late for FO4, but I predict the TESVI mod scene will be centred on the Creation Club. Most content created will be along the lines of Creation Club content; new people will join, driven by the hope to one day work for Bethesda; and users will download mainly Creation Club content because it's vetted and -let's be honest- mods are a hassle to install and use.

I could be wrong. I may be right. We'll see.

I guess I'm more in favor of the wild and untamed mod scene. I'm also looking at this from the perspective a Second Life content creator where everything is made and everything is profitable including the stuff that's similar to Sexlab, only in Second Life. Millions dollars exchanges hands in Second Life everyday and the company that created and runs it, Linden Labs makes money off that everyday.

Obviously, Bethesda is different, but I still don't generally like the idea of having to pay $5 for a sword. I think something like the Creation Club with it's current type of mods could work if they lowered the prices permanently. As far as having higher and higher quality mods, i think that it wont be the case in practice because it's ultimately Bethesda deciding who they want and what they want. Which isn't a bad thing. But i think for mods, the free market s better at deciding. I think there's room for both scenarios at the end of the day. It's just that I personally think one of better than the other. The Creation Club needs a lot of tweaking I think. The lack of content and the kind of content is something not many expected.

I was actually looking forward to buying quest mods for $15 here, $20 there. But then they showed golden armored mudcrabs and other content I generally wouldn't pay for. i get why it's that way, everything needs to be compatible. So, with CC we have content makers getting paid, but not the best of the best who make bigger and better mods. This is brings me back to my other point of liking the untamed stuff better. You're free to break it and therefor have more stuff if you manage to keep it unbroken. Since there's room for both, I hope that at least something like CC or whatever its evolution is doesn't become the only option available at some point in the future. companies will likely only want to profit from certain mods while a lot of people will want those Sexlab-like mods and skimpy waifu followers that they never actually use as followers but have hundreds of them installed anyway. I lost my train of thought, so i'll stop here.

Will Ravengate ever receive a proper update? I've always wanted to try that mod but have stayed away due to all the reports regarding the hostility issues. LOVED Spectraverse despite your harsh criticism of that mod Enai. Especially the Force Choke-like spell that lifted targets off the ground while siphoning away their health. The boss fights in Spectraverse were EPIC as were their voices. Edited by ff7legend

Hello, Enai, I really do enjoy your work, but I have some questions for you if I may, I don't quite understand your stance on the creation club stuff fully,

When you speak of it in high praise I may misunderstand but do you mean it as a replacement overlay of the entire free modding scene? With the current rise in controversy over the Loot Boxes and Microtransactions are you sure the creation club won't be forking into money that people were giving to authors via patreon or other means? Or this won't embitter a free community towards a company or even people who do work on mods? I suppose the topic of paid content is always a rough road..