How Dangerous/Harming is Dirty plugins

Drevan80

I'm not sure where I should have posted this question so I took a change and posted it here. How Dangerous/Harming to gameplay and game stabilty is Dirty Plug ins? For now I have 5 dirty plugins (Only 25 mods active at the moment) reported by LOOT.

Dirty plugins are plugins that have the exact same record as the master file. Sometimes this is done on purpose and will break the mod if cleaned. Most of the time this is done by mistake because Beth refuses to fix the CK that causes this just by opening a record.

The only problem with dirty plugin is that it might change a record back to the vanilla value that another mod changed. Depending on what is being changed this can do virtually nothing, screw up a mod, or crash the game. If loot says a mod needs to be cleaned it probably does. There are exceptions though like the mod Sacrosanct - Vampires of Skyrim. And there are a ton of mods loot doesn't say anything about that needs to be cleaned.

Here is a real life example. I have a mod that changes the prisoner armor. A race mod had a dirty record for the prisoner armor that reverted the armor back to vanilla. I asked the mod author about it and they ended up removing the dirty record in a update. The only problem the dirty record caused me was the armor looked weired on my character. Also I was able to fix just by placing the armor mod under the race mod. However, now that the race mod has been cleaned I can place the armor mod anywhere .

No those should be cleaned.

Bethesda leaves their dirty records affecting their own stuff? All these times I am trying to leave Vanilla stuff alone, or with patches. Also, wouldn't Steam raise a fist if we use file integrity check?

Edited by tomomi1922

Vanilla is fine on it's own. These games have run as expected for years, on multiple platforms. It's just that those dirty edits can be problematic with mods that make different references to things. It's not like Bethesda themselves have to take mods into account. Their games run fine as they delivered them. But cleaning them is for OUR benefit, after the fact of having a library of mod choices.

Besides all that, Skyrim is the only game's ESMs that I clean. I leave Oblivion and Fallout alone.... because no one is even clear on what's worth cleaning or not. I don't think there's consensus.

It's pretty common for published software to have an extensive list of existing, often even known bugs.

Developers and QA might even flag a bunch of internal JIRA tickets for various issues, and then see them never get worked on because the budgets says work on something else of higher priority.

If the bugs don't ruin normal gameplay, or only cause minor glitches in less noticed aspects of the experience - they can get de-prioritized

As for PS3... there's the added burden of getting approval from Sony to check in a fix - and that can de-motivate development if the issue is "not common enough" or "not major enough"... which can even include something like CTD after X hours of play if the product management team decides most players only play for X-1 hours...

Of course the above is me analogizing game-development to web-development... in reality game developers are a LOT sloppier than web application developers... The gaming industry isn't really into 'agile development' as much, and stuff gets left on the table untracked a lot more often. In web application development we're pretty quick to know all the bugs, sort them out, and fix anything we think might hurt sales or get us posted up on twitter or facebook or something... :)

- stuff can still get left unfixed for ages, but when we list it as low-priority we tend to have a reason for that which goes beyond "entire team of contractors got laid off because the game is already for sale at gamestop and we've moved on to a new game"...

Vanilla is fine on it's own. These games have run as expected for years, on multiple platforms. It's just that those dirty edits can be problematic with mods that make different references to things. It's not like Bethesda themselves have to take mods into account. Their games run fine as they delivered them. But cleaning them is for OUR benefit, after the fact of having a library of mod choices.

Besides all that, Skyrim is the only game's ESMs that I clean. I leave Oblivion and Fallout alone.... because no one is even clear on what's worth cleaning or not. I don't think there's consensus.

That's PS3. It sucked, admittedly.. but it had nothing to do with dirty edits. But something wonky with the executable. It partly was save bloat, if I recall?